Automotive

Transferring Alberta Salvage Title to Ontario, does the salvage title remain?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 9:17 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1411 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto

Transferring Alberta Salvage Title to Ontario, does the salvage title remain?

Hello, I've tried my best to research this information but I'm unsure what happens in cases like this as reciprocal agreements between provinces vary. I am looking to buy an auction vehicle from Alberta and the car in question carries a salvage title in Alberta (it was in a minor front end collision, bumper and driver side fender damage). If I bring it to Toronto, complete all the repairs, do I have to do just a regular safety check or does the car have to undergo a salvage inspection? For the record, I'm not doing this for resale, I am using this vehicle myself.
8 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
forevergone wrote: Hello, I've tried my best to research this information but I'm unsure what happens in cases like this as reciprocal agreements between provinces vary. I am looking to buy an auction vehicle from Alberta and the car in question carries a salvage title in Alberta (it was in a minor front end collision, bumper and driver side fender damage). If I bring it to Toronto, complete all the repairs, do I have to do just a regular safety check or does the car have to undergo a salvage inspection? For the record, I'm not doing this for resale, I am using this vehicle myself.
Brand follows the paperwork. Most likely it will need a salvage inspection, then an out of province, and then finally a safety inspection, and for ontario, I guess emission?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1411 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: Brand follows the paperwork. Most likely it will need a salvage inspection, then an out of province, and then finally a safety inspection, and for ontario, I guess emission?
What do you mean an out of province?
Feb 19, 2003
156 posts
33 upvotes
London
forevergone wrote: If you're referring to the bottom part, that's only applicable to commercial used vehicles.

Does the same apply for personal used vehicles?
A brand always follows the vehicle, regardless of whether it has been used for personal or commercial use. For the rest of its time on the road, that VIN will be either Salvage or Rebuilt. It will get its Rebuilt branding once it has passed the required safety inspections that are required before it can be plated and driven again.

In the US, things are a little more lax between states, and it's easy for a vehicle to get title washed. IE: a vehicle is declared Salvage, gets bounced around a little bit, and somewhere along the way the documents lose the negative branding, and it goes back to "normal". This is called title washing, and it's illegal.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2007
4399 posts
1691 upvotes
Edmonton
forevergone wrote: What do you mean an out of province?
So:

(a)You live in province X, and you buy a car registered last in province X.
You need nothing if its in Alberta, but I believe in Ontario you need safety and emission. (You need safety in alberta if its over 12 years old for insurance purposes)

(b)You live in Province X, you buy a car last registered in province Y
You need an Out of Province inspection, and then whatever else in (a)

(c)You live in Province X and you buy a salvage vehicle in province X.
You need a salvage inspection, and whatever else in (a)

(d)You live in Province X, buy a salvage vehicle in province Y
You need (a) (b) (c)

Hope that makes sense
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2007
1411 posts
410 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: So:

(a)You live in province X, and you buy a car registered last in province X.
You need nothing if its in Alberta, but I believe in Ontario you need safety and emission. (You need safety in alberta if its over 12 years old for insurance purposes)

(b)You live in Province X, you buy a car last registered in province Y
You need an Out of Province inspection, and then whatever else in (a)

(c)You live in Province X and you buy a salvage vehicle in province X.
You need a salvage inspection, and whatever else in (a)

(d)You live in Province X, buy a salvage vehicle in province Y
You need (a) (b) (c)

Hope that makes sense
Wouldn't I only need to do a salvage inspection in Ontario if the car is being registered there? Why would I need to do it in Alberta?
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1518 posts
1236 upvotes
Hamilton
" If I bring it to Toronto, complete all the repairs, do I have to do just a regular safety check or does the car have to undergo a salvage inspection? For the record, I'm not doing this for resale, I am using this vehicle myself "

If you buy in Alberta and bring to Ontario where you do all the repairs, you will then have to do a salvage inspection + safety inspection + etest.