Transferring Car Ownership to Brother In Law
I'm hoping to transfer ownership of my car to my Brother In Law but I want to avoid the sales tax by doing this under the MTO Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle. The problem is the car ownership is under my name and not my wife's. Under the rules defined as close family members, Brother in Law is not listed.
• parent or step-parent
• grandparent or step-grandparent
• son or step-son
• daughter or step-daughter
• grandson or step-grandson
• granddaughter or step-granddaughter
• half siblings (siblings with a common parent)
• adopted siblings (siblings with a common parent through adoption)
But I was wondering if I could transfer it to my wife and then she can transfer it to her brother. Does anyone know if there is any issue in doing this? Would it raise any red flags or is this allowable? Any time period that my wife needs to hold the ownership before she transfers it to her brother? Is there a better way of doing this?
Thanks in advance for any advice.