Transferring car ownership to family

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2021 12:05 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
448 posts
223 upvotes

Transferring car ownership to family

I recently bought a brand new car. My brother and I are listed as joint owners on the ownership document. What is the process to make me the sole owner. We did this to get a $1000 loyalty discount.

Do I need to get vehicle safety certificate? Its a 3 day old car and I am already listed on the ownership?

Guidance is much appreciated,
11 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29121 posts
9627 upvotes
Yeah if it's a finance you may have a hard time getting him off the ownership until the car is paid for. If the car is paid for I think it's actually pretty straightforward to drop him off the ownership. It's not really a transfer it's just him coming off it. Best thing to do is contact MTO (or Ministry in whatever province you're in), but keep in mind the caveat about the lender first.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
448 posts
223 upvotes
Car was purchased on cash. There is no line or anything.
Sep 4, 2006
973 posts
605 upvotes
Ottawa
Simply a form at the MTO. No tax to when transferring to a family member, one car per year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6779 posts
3075 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If not a spousal transfer then believe have to do a safety.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/transfer-ow ... ily-member

What documents are required
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:

a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
proof of Ontario vehicle insurance
your Ontario driver’s licence
Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
Vehicle Ownership Permit with the completed portion on the back
a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)
Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.
Last edited by georvu on Jun 6th, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
448 posts
223 upvotes
Do I need a safety/fitness certificate given than car is 3 days old and I am already on the title?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11910 posts
2312 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize there could be joint ownership of a car. Since it's a removal and not a transfer, I don't think any other type of normal transfer is needed.

And yes, safety is needed for family transfers outside of spouse.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8057 posts
671 upvotes
Brampton
chicu1981 wrote: Do I need a safety/fitness certificate given than car is 3 days old and I am already on the title?
Did you get a copy of the safety standards certificate from the dealership?

Maybe within this timeframe you can show MTO that it’s been completed. They are valid for 36 days
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
448 posts
223 upvotes
Badman wrote: Did you get a copy of the safety standards certificate from the dealership?

Maybe within this timeframe you can show MTO that it’s been completed. They are valid for 36 days
I called MTO they said we don't need it as it less than a week old car. Bt one never knows if i will run into an MTO dragon. I will take bill of sales and they can probably put two and two together
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
448 posts
223 upvotes
chicu1981 wrote: I called MTO they said we don't need it as it less than a week old car. Bt one never knows if i will run into an MTO dragon. I will take bill of sales and they can probably put two and two together
Dragon wanted the safety certificate. I got the car transferred on temporary plate. Now need the safety to get full sticker.
Jul 17, 2009
820 posts
284 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I did this 2 years ago, you need to get safety cert, and sworn Statement for the two of you from a lawyer, some service Ontario locations will have a lawyer there to fill that out for $40. Same procedure as a sale except no tax is paid.