• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2021 11:13 am
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
525 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto

Transferring car ownership to family

I recently bought a brand new car. My brother and I are listed as joint owners on the ownership document. What is the process to make me the sole owner. We did this to get a $1000 loyalty discount.

Do I need to get vehicle safety certificate? Its a 3 day old car and I am already listed on the ownership?

Guidance is much appreciated,
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5031 posts
4893 upvotes
Ottawa
https://www.ontario.ca/page/transfer-ow ... ily-member

Just remember that the link only deals with the transfer of ownership to a family member. If the vehicle was financed and both of you were used to finance the vehicle then you will have to get the lender's approval to transfer ownership.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32445 posts
14077 upvotes
Yeah if it's a finance you may have a hard time getting him off the ownership until the car is paid for. If the car is paid for I think it's actually pretty straightforward to drop him off the ownership. It's not really a transfer it's just him coming off it. Best thing to do is contact MTO (or Ministry in whatever province you're in), but keep in mind the caveat about the lender first.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
525 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Car was purchased on cash. There is no line or anything.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1234 posts
964 upvotes
Ottawa
Simply a form at the MTO. No tax to when transferring to a family member, one car per year.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8177 posts
4361 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
If not a spousal transfer then believe have to do a safety.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/transfer-ow ... ily-member

What documents are required
You will need to bring the following documents to a ServiceOntario centre:

a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
proof of Ontario vehicle insurance
your Ontario driver’s licence
Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
Vehicle Ownership Permit with the completed portion on the back
a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)
Only one exempt transfer of the same vehicle, between family members, is allowed within a 12-month period.
Last edited by georvu on Jun 6th, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2022: BOC raised 4 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
525 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Do I need a safety/fitness certificate given than car is 3 days old and I am already on the title?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
12723 posts
2807 upvotes
Toronto
I didn't realize there could be joint ownership of a car. Since it's a removal and not a transfer, I don't think any other type of normal transfer is needed.

And yes, safety is needed for family transfers outside of spouse.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8230 posts
888 upvotes
Brampton
chicu1981 wrote: Do I need a safety/fitness certificate given than car is 3 days old and I am already on the title?
Did you get a copy of the safety standards certificate from the dealership?

Maybe within this timeframe you can show MTO that it’s been completed. They are valid for 36 days
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
525 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Badman wrote: Did you get a copy of the safety standards certificate from the dealership?

Maybe within this timeframe you can show MTO that it’s been completed. They are valid for 36 days
I called MTO they said we don't need it as it less than a week old car. Bt one never knows if i will run into an MTO dragon. I will take bill of sales and they can probably put two and two together
[OP]
Jul 5, 2010
525 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
chicu1981 wrote: I called MTO they said we don't need it as it less than a week old car. Bt one never knows if i will run into an MTO dragon. I will take bill of sales and they can probably put two and two together
Dragon wanted the safety certificate. I got the car transferred on temporary plate. Now need the safety to get full sticker.
Jul 17, 2009
893 posts
445 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I did this 2 years ago, you need to get safety cert, and sworn Statement for the two of you from a lawyer, some service Ontario locations will have a lawyer there to fill that out for $40. Same procedure as a sale except no tax is paid.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4479 posts
4874 upvotes
Is the information demanded by the MTO for the giver of the gift, or the receiver?

a completed Sworn Statement for a Family Gift of a Used Motor Vehicle in the Province of Ontario form
Safety Standards Certificate (this is not required for spouse-to-spouse transfers, but you must complete a spousal declaration)
a completed plate transfer declaration if you are also transferring the licence plate (only permitted between spouses, parents and children)
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4479 posts
4874 upvotes
Also, after the transfer is complete, what happens to the license plates? They can't be transferred between siblings, so does the receiver of said gift have to pay extra to get plates?
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5575 posts
4760 upvotes
Oakville, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Is the information demanded by the MTO for the giver of the gift, or the receiver?

angryaudifanatic wrote: Also, after the transfer is complete, what happens to the license plates? They can't be transferred between siblings, so does the receiver of said gift have to pay extra to get plates?
IIRC when I did this several yrs ago, plates stay with the owner of the plates so the giver keeps the plates. Recipient can provide their own plates or pony up for new ones. The sworn statement form is for both the giver & recipient to execute. And I think both also show their driver’s licences during the process. As the giver I got the safety certificate done a few days before the transaction so that the recipient would be able to put the vehicle on the road immediately after meeting up at the Service Ontario location.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4479 posts
4874 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: IIRC when I did this several yrs ago, plates stay with the owner of the plates so the giver keeps the plates. Recipient can provide their own plates or pony up for new ones. The sworn statement form is for both the giver & recipient to execute. And I think both also show their driver’s licences during the process. As the giver I got the safety certificate done a few days before the transaction so that the recipient would be able to put the vehicle on the road immediately after meeting up at the Service Ontario location.
Thank you very much. I seem to recall license plates follow the person, and not the car. I'm curious as to what would happen if the giver chose to keep his or her license plate on the car for the next few days. Car is now in receiver's name...is that OK?

Not sure if you or anyone here knows. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5575 posts
4760 upvotes
Oakville, ON
angryaudifanatic wrote: Thank you very much. I seem to recall license plates follow the person, and not the car. I'm curious as to what would happen if the giver chose to keep his or her license plate on the car for the next few days. Car is now in receiver's name...is that OK?

Not sure if you or anyone here knows. Thanks!
Low chance of being caught but if pulled over the receiver will have an ownership that says un-plated while there are actually plates attached. This is why I did it as a meet up at Service Ontario. A pain with extra cars/drivers involved to ferry back and forth but less hassle given that everything gets done in one shot.

FYI - just remembered that the sworn statement has to be in front of a Notary. Best approach is to pick a Service Ontario location that has a Notary on site. Again, one stop and done, otherwise its an additional pain point arranging for the sworn statement to be executed elsewhere together as well. Not all SO locations have a Notary on staff, and of the ones that do you'll need to check on the hours that they're available. Don't recall if you need an appointment to get the Notary or if its just walk-in. Best to call to confirm, especially with COVID restrictions...!
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4479 posts
4874 upvotes
CanadianLurker wrote: Low chance of being caught but if pulled over the receiver will have an ownership that says un-plated while there are actually plates attached. This is why I did it as a meet up at Service Ontario. A pain with extra cars/drivers involved to ferry back and forth but less hassle given that everything gets done in one shot.

FYI - just remembered that the sworn statement has to be in front of a Notary. Best approach is to pick a Service Ontario location that has a Notary on site. Again, one stop and done, otherwise its an additional pain point arranging for the sworn statement to be executed elsewhere together as well. Not all SO locations have a Notary on staff, and of the ones that do you'll need to check on the hours that they're available. Don't recall if you need an appointment to get the Notary or if its just walk-in. Best to call to confirm, especially with COVID restrictions...!
Thank you, I'm facilitating a transaction between two extended family members and I believe I have some 'worth' left re: sworn statement :)

Now what is odd in the specific case is the receiver in this case won't be present (3rd party authorization form will be filled out). Can the giver drive the car with his/her plates while it's technically registered in the receiver's name?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)