Students

Transferring as a Direct Entry student to Ryerson

[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough

Transferring as a Direct Entry student to Ryerson

I am an Advanced Diploma graduate from Centennial College. I want to pursue becoming a CA. However, I don't know what program to choose as a Direct Entry student in Ryerson that is relevant to CA requirements. I am planning to get in the university by this September. I want you to answer the following:

1. What program in Ryerson University relevant to CA requirements?
2. Does the above answered program accept Direct Entry Student?
3. When is the deadline to apply for the program?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

PS: There was all the programs recommended to pursue a dream of becoming CA in ICAO website about 5 months ago. And the website was very helpful. Unfortunately, they updated the website and no recommended programs for university exist.
8 replies
Jan 9, 2013
169 posts
14 upvotes
Patreeck7 wrote: I am an Advanced Diploma graduate from Centennial College. I want to pursue becoming a CA. However, I don't know what program to choose as a Direct Entry student in Ryerson that is relevant to CA requirements. I am planning to get in the university by this September. I want you to answer the following:

1. What program in Ryerson University relevant to CA requirements?
2. Does the above answered program accept Direct Entry Student?
3. When is the deadline to apply for the program?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

PS: There was all the programs recommended to pursue a dream of becoming CA in ICAO website about 5 months ago. And the website was very helpful. Unfortunately, they updated the website and no recommended programs for university exist.
Business Management is the program you're looking for with a major in accounting. They also have a new Accounting and Finance program that's starting up 2013-2014. Both programs fulfill the CA requirements. BM takes direct entry students (not sure about A&F) and the last date to apply is sometime in March I believe; you do the google search.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough
realdealer1 wrote: Business Management is the program you're looking for with a major in accounting. They also have a new Accounting and Finance program that's starting up 2013-2014. Both programs fulfill the CA requirements. BM takes direct entry students (not sure about A&F) and the last date to apply is sometime in March I believe; you do the google search.
Thank you very much
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2010
2697 posts
1261 upvotes
Toronto
1. Ryerson will stop offering the accounting program under Business Management starting fall 2013. They have the new "School of Accounting & Finance" which will be it's own separate program and it's the one you want if you plan on becoming a CA.
2. Unfortunately it looks like the new accounting program will not be offered to Direct Entry students. The old program was available like all majors under Business Management. Reason for this is the increased admission requirements.
3. I'm not sure of the deadline for guaranteed consideration for Direct Entry students.

Just to give you some other options since it looks like you will not be able to transfer into the Ryerson program. York also accepts college grads with a 3 year diploma in business admin but you have to also have completed advanced functions in high school. If you have not taken the course you can always do it through ilc.org. Guelph Humber accepts college transfers into 3rd year and their admissions is fairly easy as long as you did decent in college (3.3 cGPA). Other than that you can apply to schools like McMaster or even UofT but they will offer little in the way of transfer credits and also require you to have the high school admission requirements for the program. They also require a higher college cGPA

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough
Merc with a Mouth wrote: 1. Ryerson will stop offering the accounting program under Business Management starting fall 2013. They have the new "School of Accounting & Finance" which will be it's own separate program and it's the one you want if you plan on becoming a CA.
2. Unfortunately it looks like the new accounting program will not be offered to Direct Entry students. The old program was available like all majors under Business Management. Reason for this is the increased admission requirements.
3. I'm not sure of the deadline for guaranteed consideration for Direct Entry students.

Just to give you some other options since it looks like you will not be able to transfer into the Ryerson program. York also accepts college grads with a 3 year diploma in business admin but you have to also have completed advanced functions in high school. If you have not taken the course you can always do it through ilc.org. Guelph Humber accepts college transfers into 3rd year and their admissions is fairly easy as long as you did decent in college (3.3 cGPA). Other than that you can apply to schools like McMaster or even UofT but they will offer little in the way of transfer credits and also require you to have the high school admission requirements for the program. They also require a higher college cGPA

Hope that helps.
First of all, thank you. Second of all, now i am really pissed. I just applied to ryerson via OUAC. There was no information about them not offering the accounting program under Business Management starting fall 2013 whatsoever (both in OUAC and Ryerson website). In fact, when I applied for the Management Program, it asked for the major I wanna pursue from the list given there. I chose Accounting.
I did wanted to transfer to York but, they don't accept same good number of transfers as Ryerson would. I don't have to worry about high school marks and college marks. I did do all calculus and functions in high schools and had 87% overall in the final transcript. My college GPA is 4.1/ 4.5. I just wanted to transfer from Centenial College (Business Admin- Accounting) to Ryerson- Accounting because of distance and number of transfer (i would probably be enrolled in 3 year).
Do you have any link I can look further into about them not offering Accounting major in Management anymore? When was this?
I already paid $227 to apply to Ryerson. Looks like I am going to have to apply again for York after all if you are right. There goes my hard earned $227 down the gutter.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough
Patreeck7 wrote: I already paid $227 to apply to Ryerson. Looks like I am going to have to apply again for York after all if you are right. There goes my hard earned $227 down the gutter.
Can I still delete the university and add or remove the other universities after submitting the application?
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
17167 posts
7052 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Patreeck7 wrote: Can I still delete the university and add or remove the other universities after submitting the application?
Ya. I remember I deleted Ryerson Hospitality and Tourism a few years ago and applied to Windsor because I messed up my OUAC application. It still worked and they promptly sent me an admission offer.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough
geokilla wrote: Ya. I remember I deleted Ryerson Hospitality and Tourism a few years ago and applied to Windsor because I messed up my OUAC application. It still worked and they promptly sent me an admission offer.
thank you. You didn't pay for it again though, right?
[OP]
Sep 11, 2012
55 posts
Scarborough
Merc with a Mouth wrote: 1. Ryerson will stop offering the accounting program under Business Management starting fall 2013. They have the new "School of Accounting & Finance" which will be it's own separate program and it's the one you want if you plan on becoming a CA.

Hope that helps.
Thank you for obliging me to inquire about this. Apparently, their Business Management- Accounting only accepts Direct Entry Students from 2nd year and eventually they phase out year by year as they add Accounting and Finance until they add 4th year to it.