• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2019 11:48 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4820 posts
1550 upvotes

transferring domain to Shopify - how to deal with email hosting

If anyone is a Shopify expert here, I'd appreciate some input.

I'm currently with Hostgator and looking to transfer the domain out to Shopify.

from what I understand, Shopify says it does not do email hosting, instead it can setup email forwarding.
So, for example, if my company is called ABC company, I can create info@ABCcompany.com , accounting@ABCcompany.com , jonathan@ABCcompany.com, etc. but those are just "fake front" email addresses that really get forwarded to some other email, say my gmail account.
Shopify seems to recommend Zoho mail or G Suite email hosting.

Hostgator has been hosting my domain and email for many years.
I already have info@ABCcompany.com in use and it has many emails already.
How do I continue to use, transfer, and retain all my emails at info@ABCcompany.com ?
I would like a nice seamless transition.

Thanks for any info

So, after
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5350 posts
1525 upvotes
Toronto
This is a fairly common setup - you just have to set up your DNS records correctly. I have a hosting plan with CanSpace (which is currently just functioning as my email hosting service). I just opened a ticket with CanSpace and let them know my Shopify DNS records, and they kept the email routed to my hosting account with them (via the MX record), while having my website load via Shopify itself.

You can make the changes yourself via HostGator's control panel, but it's likely easier if you just get them to make the connection for you.
Jan 31, 2011
7 posts
3 upvotes
Mississauga
You can back up your email on your computer. Than you can call your new host, get them to help you with DNS records.

I use Bluehost as my host and they are great I am sure Shopify is as well from my dealings with them!
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2004
1909 posts
178 upvotes
Markham, ON
SomeOtherDude wrote: If anyone is a Shopify expert here, I'd appreciate some input.

I'm currently with Hostgator and looking to transfer the domain out to Shopify.

from what I understand, Shopify says it does not do email hosting, instead it can setup email forwarding.
So, for example, if my company is called ABC company, I can create info@ABCcompany.com , accounting@ABCcompany.com , jonathan@ABCcompany.com, etc. but those are just "fake front" email addresses that really get forwarded to some other email, say my gmail account.
Shopify seems to recommend Zoho mail or G Suite email hosting.

Hostgator has been hosting my domain and email for many years.
I already have info@ABCcompany.com in use and it has many emails already.
How do I continue to use, transfer, and retain all my emails at info@ABCcompany.com ?
I would like a nice seamless transition.

Thanks for any info

So, after

Are you happy with staying with HostGator (for your e-mail) Are you OK with paying both Shopfify & HostGator? If yes, This is very easy to do. You can keep your hosting with HostGator as-is (for the purposes of using e-mail as you've been doing for years).

All you need to do is change your domain's A records and CNAME records to point to Shopify.

Leave the MX records as is.

If you have any questions, let me know.
TELUS, Koodo, Public Mobile, FIDO customer.