• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2018 12:36 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4175 posts
1159 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: Most of the airline staff were apparently fine. But one individual, while doing her job, did it poorly. This happens to all of us, but "I was just doing my job" isn't a valid excuse for **** up royally while at work.
I think you're being too sensitive here, and also taking the transgender's account as the whole story and assuming it to be 100% accurate. You need to be open to the other side of the story. You don't know who was giving attitude to who first. You don't know the mannerisms and body language that may be been communicated and/or mis-communicated.

I agree the employee should probably have been "sharper" and recognized the sensitive situation.
But this is not a "royal **** up" - it is an oversight that was easy to miss. Yes, it was a mistake nonetheless. Eye-rolling is rude too. Many, if not most people have never encountered such a situation where they are dealing with someone who's ID is radically different from the real person. But I would bet that it started out with an honest double-check from the staff, which lead to questioning, which then lead to more confusion, and then it took a while (too long) and the light bulb went off in the flight staff's head and she suddenly realized "Ohhhhh, I get it now..... its one of those transgender people...... I read all about it in the news but whoa, I've never actually encountered one"
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3275 posts
462 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: I'm glad at least you agree that it would have been better to hold at the gate until the GA is satisfied. Your sarcasm isn't funny or constructive, it's just a way for you to avoid denying something that was obviously true while still managing to insult someone that you think it mentally ill.
It's not sarcasm. This person is claiming the incident left them in distress. Surely that distress would have happened anyways at the gate. Have you been in a plane? You can't hear a thing more than a couple rows away unless they're yelling. I don't see the complainant say they were yelling so we're talking about a handful of people possibly hearing the conversation that is now some incident in the newspaper. And yes, I do think they are mentally ill and so did everyone else until recently. Now because there is a stigma with being called mentally ill they are trying to change what it's called.

Gender dysphoria is not the same thing as transgenderism. You're the one playing with words. Being transgender does not mean that you have gender dysphoria.
Let's see what the APA says:
What Is Gender Dysphoria?
Gender dysphoria involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender with which he/she/they identify. People with gender dysphoria may be very uncomfortable with the gender they were assigned, sometimes described as being uncomfortable with their body (particularly developments during puberty) or being uncomfortable with the expected roles of their assigned gender.

People with gender dysphoria may often experience significant distress and/or problems functioning associated with this conflict between the way they feel and think of themselves (referred to as experienced or expressed gender) and their physical or assigned gender.

I guess take it up with them?

What do you have against people who struggle with mental illness? Do you think that they shouldn't be allowed to fly? Do you know that one in four people suffer from mental illness at some point in their lives?
I don't have anything against them, I feel sorry for them. I don't think their issue warrants a news story simply because the gate agent had difficulty identifying them, and I do think they need to do the right thing by having a current photo with their correct gender appearance and the correct sex when sex is on the form.

Probably because there's not as much of a 'teachable moment' in those cases as there are in this case.
The teachable moment is that if someone wants to change genders they should change documents, so that not that everyone else has to put up with their problems. There's probably a line of people waiting to get on the plane while the agent is playing gender detective.

The psychiatric profession disagrees with your diagnosis. They are of the widespread opinion that the best course of treatment often involves living as one's gender identity, and that the individuals affected are best off when society supports and respects that simple treatment. What exactly are your credentials?
Yes, I'm sure if everyone played into their delusions they may have it easier, although I doubt it would get that much easier. Yes, we should allow male MMA fighters to beat the crap out of women because they say they feel like a woman. Yes, we should allow male high school students in the female change room because they say they feel like a girl. I'm sure that's great for them. For everyone else, meh, don't be so transphobic, right?

Phobia? What are you talking about?

And you think this is the diagnosis of gender dysphoria?

The stats that you won't provide, cause you don't have, cause they don't exist, cause you're talking out of your ass? Those stats?
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3817318357
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid.