Careers

Transition from big4 to industry - CPA

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 10:59 pm
Dec 1, 2010
99 posts
146 upvotes

Transition from big4 to industry - CPA

I'm a big4 senior in audit and wrapping up the paperwork to apply for my letters now. Done 4 busy seasons now and in line for promotion to manager but I don't intend on sticking around for another busy season, especially with the current COVID situation and layoffs.

My buddies and past co-workers have all moved over to financial reporting, FP&A, internal audit, etc. FR is more obvious in terms of the alignment with our experiences and skills as we work with people who are in these roles. But for something like a financial analyst, what does industry look for from an ex-auditor focusing on accounting? And coming from audit, are there certain roles/job descriptions/responsibilities to look for that we fit better than those who started in industry?

Just looking for some insight or experiences with their move over to industry.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
Get in line buddy...
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
I went straight into internal audit. easiest transition ever. Can't really speak for other FR and FP&A roles but I have friends made the transition and they all seem to have adjusted well.

Just do it. You won't regret it.
Jun 17, 2017
249 posts
35 upvotes
Jokkon wrote: I went straight into internal audit. easiest transition ever. Can't really speak for other FR and FP&A roles but I have friends made the transition and they all seem to have adjusted well.

Just do it. You won't regret it.
Are you guys hiring, can you do referrals?
May 24, 2007
553 posts
213 upvotes
healsio wrote: Are you guys hiring, can you do referrals?
Sorry, I don't refer ppl I don't know. There are a ton of jobs out there anyways. Seniors and up shouldn't have any issues with finding a job, I think.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2011
2133 posts
756 upvotes
Hamilton
I've found that many CPAs that started in public accounting don't really get FP&A. I think it's a different discipline. But IA and external reporting and Controls is up their alley.

If I was hiring someone that we didn't know (most hires seemed to be people that had audited us) I'd probably look for an ability to learn. Realistically you're only likely to stay in your first job for two years then will probably move to something else in the same company.

Also, one common fault I've seen is noob CPAs coming from audit thinking they're the bees knees. You're just as dumb as everyone else starting out. Real life isn't big 4. Listen twice as much as you speak, but don't be silent if that makes any sense.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)