Automotive

Transporting car from Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2016 1:47 am
[OP]
Aug 20, 2012
877 posts
31 upvotes

Transporting car from Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR)

I am moving to vancouver and would like to transport my car from Toronto to Vancouver.

I have not done this before, and was wondering if you guys can recommend a good company that offer car transportation service.

Also, some quick questions
1. How much should i be expecting
2. How long would this take
3. Are there 'hidden fees' i should be aware of?

Thanks in advance!
13 replies
Mar 23, 2009
904 posts
274 upvotes
Halifax
I used https://www.lhf.com/ in 2013 on new A4 (Richmond BC to Halifax). Dealer used corporate rate - was about 16xx + tax, when I called it was almost 2k + tax.
Car was tracked online and they are also used to ship some manufacturers across country.

I can't recall exactly on the delivery, think it was like 15-17 days or so.
Jun 15, 2015
190 posts
75 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Kee West Auto Carriers or Hansens is who I usually use. Takes about a week to two for kee west, but call for rates. Sometimes the prices are cheaper depending on truck load. Usually Toronto to Vancouver.. It is roughly 1,6xx.. Highest was 1,9xx.. However I have an account with them so not sure if the rate is discounted or not.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16978 posts
15581 upvotes
Richmond Hill
These rates you guys are quoting, is that for enclosed trailer or open?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3853 upvotes
Hanses. It's about 1500$. They use open car trailer (same as the dealerships getting new shippment), the ones where you see 6-8 cars double decker.
Apr 8, 2010
733 posts
152 upvotes
London
I paid around $1000 per car to ship a 2011 GTI and 2016 Jetta from Toronto to Vancouver, terminal to terminal with Hansen's. We dropped off at their yard in Scarborough, Uber'd to the airport. Then we picked up in Delta, BC 10 days later. YMMV with delivery times as your car just goes on the next train. The car went on an open trailer on the train and you could track the progress of the train online. The car was covered in dust and dirt but there was no body damage.

Bear in mind that this is pretty much the gold standard for coast to coast transport for the auto makers. When we dropped our car off, we saw brand new Lexus RX350's from Alliston ON being loaded on the same train. When we picked up our 2015 Golf was unloaded with a bunch of 2016/2017 VW's and 2017 A4's.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16732 posts
5294 upvotes
London
Use a reputable company, even if it costs more

There was a huge rfd thread about a scammer shipping company operating under multiple names/numbers with fake reviews that would take your money, pickup the cars and then abandon them part way.

I think one rfder traced his car to Alberta, then had to hire a different car company to recover his car from some farm field and reship it to the final destination
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8368 posts
2155 upvotes
Toronto
When do you want to do this? I know somebody that would be interested in driving it there for you. I figure it would cost a lot less (probs gas + motel + airfare back) than the prices mentioned above. Seriously, PM me if you're interested.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1103 posts
355 upvotes
SaskBerta
Jimbobs wrote: When do you want to do this? I know somebody that would be interested in driving it there for you. I figure it would cost a lot less (probs gas + motel + airfare back) than the prices mentioned above. Seriously, PM me if you're interested.
I actually used to work for a company that did this. Sadly they're no longer around.

Personally I'd rather my car driven by a responsible driver across than thrown around and jumbled on a trailer/train.
But if you're worried about the mileage, I guess that's another thing.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16978 posts
15581 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I recently had my car transported by Thornton in an enclosed trailer for $1600. That's from Calgary to my door step.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9107 posts
2058 upvotes
Vancouver
l69norm wrote: Use a reputable company, even if it costs more

There was a huge rfd thread about a scammer shipping company operating under multiple names/numbers with fake reviews that would take your money, pickup the cars and then abandon them part way.

I think one rfder traced his car to Alberta, then had to hire a different car company to recover his car from some farm field and reship it to the final destination
Op here is the thread l69norm is referring to it's a good read. Stick to the big companies and pay a little extra. It's a long thread but entertaining and a real eye opener to see just how bad things can get when you toss a logistics company your keys

vehicles-motion-scam-1814459/

Pay the extra and go with the big names. Your car is probably your second largest asset.
Autocorrect sucks
Apr 8, 2010
733 posts
152 upvotes
London
Forgot to mention that if you want enclosed trailer, I've used TFX International (http://www.tfxinternational.com) in the past. Their cross country quote is usually in the $2250 region, so pricey but they have a hydraulic lift on the back of the trailer. Their service was second to none. They are a "by the book" kind of company so no chance of a scam.

And re Hansen's - they are another legit by the book company
[OP]
Aug 20, 2012
877 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks everyone.

I will give Hansen a call on Monday, and go from there! Appreciated.