Personal Finance

TransUnion and Equifax? FREE reports?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2016 5:37 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11836 posts
1793 upvotes
Vancouver

TransUnion and Equifax? FREE reports?

I thought one of these companies or both I could request a credit report FREE of charge??

I am just on their sites now and they charge approx $14.95

Thanks in advance

I did scour the threads but couldn't get the info i needed.
16 replies
Newbie
Nov 1, 2008
83 posts
5 upvotes
They both offer free reports, but only if you get the report by snail mail.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11836 posts
1793 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks! You guys are awesome. snail mail it is :)
Jr. Member
Mar 13, 2010
112 posts
7 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: I thought one of these companies or both I could request a credit report FREE of charge??

I am just on their sites now and they charge approx $14.95

Thanks in advance

I did scour the threads but couldn't get the info i needed.
Hmmm ... sure you did
rems wrote: Why must you be proven guilty in a court of law? You know if you violated it or not. I guess if I kill someone and I get away with it I must be innocent...
Newbie
Feb 10, 2008
15 posts
Well technically it's not free because you need to pay for a stamp an envelope. Ha ha.

I usually do the free snail-mail method, I did pay for the report online one time because I needed the info immediately.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
19766 posts
4364 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
X wrote: They both offer free reports, but only if you get the report by snail mail.
Swanny wrote: Well technically it's not free because you need to pay for a stamp an envelope. Ha ha.

I usually do the free snail-mail method, I did pay for the report online one time because I needed the info immediately.
You can order the free report through an automated phone system as well. The phone numbers are somewhere on this board. Also now it is possible to fax in the requests.

However if you really need the info NOW then go and pay for it.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jr. Member
Jul 28, 2008
197 posts
Mississauga/Toronto
the report is free by snail mail, but if you want your credit score then you do have to pay!

ideally, good to request a report every 6 months, but every year do a full report w/ credit score just to see how healthy that is!
Jr. Member
Jul 20, 2006
163 posts
11 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote: You can order the free report through an automated phone system as well. The phone numbers are somewhere on this board. Also now it is possible to fax in the requests.
The Equifax phone system has a flaw. I live in a condo and the unit # contains letters & numbers. When asked for my address, the system only takes in numbers, so there is no way for meto get it through.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
19766 posts
4364 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
zxczxc wrote: The Equifax phone system has a flaw. I live in a condo and the unit # contains letters & numbers. When asked for my address, the system only takes in numbers, so there is no way for meto get it through.
I also live in a condo and I was also never able to use the phone system. I had to fax in the request and previously I also mailed it in before they allowed fax.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Jr. Member
Jan 24, 2010
119 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Jucius Maximus wrote: I also live in a condo and I was also never able to use the phone system. I had to fax in the request and previously I also mailed it in before they allowed fax.
TransUnion's IVR is completely broken.
Additionally, Equifax only offers it through snail mail.

They deliberately make it as painful as they can for you to pay for their services. I am filing a consumer complaint.
Newbie
Mar 20, 2015
91 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TransUnion Canada: 1-800-663-9980
Equifax Canada: 1-800-465-7166

You can request by phone. You'll need your wallet.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
19766 posts
4364 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
ansarm wrote: TransUnion's IVR is completely broken.
Additionally, Equifax only offers it through snail mail.

They deliberately make it as painful as they can for you to pay for their services. I am filing a consumer complaint.
I don't think that is the case. I use the TUC phone service at least once a year and I get the report every time.

I do admit it's not the most user friendly thing, but now that I've done it, I run through it smoothly.

For Equifax, I always fax in the request and it works every time.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 4, 2003
2812 posts
1334 upvotes
Even Equifax does IVR consumer disclosure now. I go through both their IVRs in about 6mins combined on almost a monthly basis. Smooth as butter.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2009
1290 posts
276 upvotes
McMaggot wrote: Even Equifax does IVR consumer disclosure now. I go through both their IVRs in about 6mins combined on almost a monthly basis. Smooth as butter.
I thought you could only get one a year?

Top