Travel

Travel Advisory Issued in Canada stays in Canada?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2019 3:55 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth

Travel Advisory Issued in Canada stays in Canada?

I been checking out our Travel advisory from time to time for planned travel. However, whenever crossing borders or transferring to another country...I am not sure if the travel advisory still in effect?

This is regarding travel advisory marked as - Exercise a high degree of caution - as you can see - it is nearly almost all over the place....details usually tells you to avoid all unnecessary travels
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Thoughts?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1513 posts
1775 upvotes
BC
andy_ca_cn wrote: This is regarding travel advisory marked as - Exercise a high degree of caution - as you can see - it is nearly almost all over the place....
Thoughts?
Huh?? Don't understand what you're trying to say..."it's nearly almost all over the place". Travel advisories are specific to the country you're going to at that time.

If it is "high" just don't go there.... E.g. Hong Kong - Exercise a high degree of caution
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6472 posts
1250 upvotes
The advisory is issued by Canada but of course it’s valid outside of Canada because the advisories are about places outside Canada.

Other countries may have a different level of advisory for a particular place, based on their government’s assessment of risk to their citizens.

ETA: personally, I wouldn’t totally avoid every country that has a ‘high degree of caution’ alert. I would take the alert into account when I decide where to travel in the country and what to do.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
Any thoughts on Hong Kong or China ?

There been alot of issues on political matters (specifically on huawei arrest, etc) and hong kong protests ?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
1621 posts
2047 upvotes
I think what the OP is saying is that the list has many countries "all over the place" flagged as "Exercise a high degree of caution" when you look at:

The OP is just not taking things with any proportionate measure.

There are (about):
- 250 countries on the list
- about half are at "Exercise a high degree of caution" or higher (13 with flat-out don't travel, and 8 with avoid non-essential travel)
- that means that other half are at "Exercise normal security precautions"

So, when traveling the world, is the cup half-full or half-empty when it comes to security? Obviously subjective but there are about 125 countries you can visit without any extra worry than you would at home in Canada. And only 21 that should be avoided altogether.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
robsaw wrote: I think what the OP is saying is that the list has many countries "all over the place" flagged as "Exercise a high degree of caution" when you look at:

The OP is just not taking things with any proportionate measure.

There are (about):
- 250 countries on the list
- about half are at "Exercise a high degree of caution" or higher (13 with flat-out don't travel, and 8 with avoid non-essential travel)
- that means that other half are at "Exercise normal security precautions"

So, when traveling the world, is the cup half-full or half-empty when it comes to security? Obviously subjective but there are about 125 countries you can visit without any extra worry than you would at home in Canada. And only 21 that should be avoided altogether.
That's what I observe, I am glad I wasn't going blind. :)

I am always on the skeptical end of things due to myself being responsible for my and my family and I rather be safe than sorry. Guess you are right, I do have 125 countries to consider for travelling for my saved vacation!
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1513 posts
1775 upvotes
BC
Just because there are advisories issued for a country, it doesn't necessarily mean "avoid - dangerous" - the UK and France are on the list because of possibilities of a terrorist threat. Would I avoid travelling to Britain or France entirely....no. Certainly there is a greater risk of being killed or injured as a result of heightened possibility of terrorist activity but I would say there is a greater risk of getting shot going down south to the US with their mass shootings almost every other day yet the US shows as "green". You need to be mindful of what the risks are.

I would avoid HK if you don't have any reason to go there. Violent protests and firebombing are breaking out everywhere and there is a high chance of being caught in one of those since it is a small place.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
WetCoastGuy wrote: I would avoid HK if you don't have any reason to go there. Violent protests and firebombing are breaking out everywhere and there is a high chance of being caught in one of those since it is a small place.
Thanks for the inputs on that - a relative have invited me to their wedding and were ridiculed by our Canadian Travel Advisory reason for not wanting to be there. Its better be safe than sorry.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4550 posts
2819 upvotes
Gotham
andy_ca_cn wrote: Any thoughts on Hong Kong or China ?

There been alot of issues on political matters (specifically on huawei arrest, etc) and hong kong protests ?
Try not to be in HK on a weekend. If you are, keep your activities outdoors away from affected areas. Mainland China is absolutely fine. I've been in both places very recently and have not had any issues. I've even been in HK on weekends but stayed away from the protest areas.
[OP]
Oct 17, 2008
586 posts
137 upvotes
Earth
batcave wrote: Try not to be in HK on a weekend. If you are, keep your activities outdoors away from affected areas. Mainland China is absolutely fine. I've been in both places very recently and have not had any issues. I've even been in HK on weekends but stayed away from the protest areas.
Thanks for the inputs!

Would you suggest to stay away from HK and close by China areas (buffer zone) to keep safe? I have seen on the news that the scale of protest have expanded since June 2019.....
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4550 posts
2819 upvotes
Gotham
andy_ca_cn wrote: Thanks for the inputs!

Would you suggest to stay away from HK and close by China areas (buffer zone) to keep safe? I have seen on the news that the scale of protest have expanded since June 2019.....
Np.

HK is a great place to visit and is safe in my opinion. Just try to avoid the affected areas on certain days. If you want to go to HK, I would say keep your stay to Monday through Friday.

I think the HK airport is now off limits to protesters(?) - I haven't seen the HK news in a while. I flew into HKG last week and it was fine.

Another option is stay in Shenzhen and take the metro, bus or ferry into Hong Kong for day trips. Shenzhen is much cheaper. You can also go to Macao by ferry from Shenzhen.

Yes I think they've started branching out protests to different areas lately. I was in HK when it started in June but it was limited to to the island. I stay in Tsim Sha Shui and Jordan. I think there have been a few protests in these areas lately. You will know where the protests are by the metro closures. But avoid HK on weekends or altogether and you will not need to worry.