Travel

Travel cancellation insurance question

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 29th, 2020 3:59 pm
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2007
680 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto

Travel cancellation insurance question

Hi there,
I just booked a trip to Europe in the summer and I am thinking of purchasing a travel insurance for trip cancellation in case I decide not to go because of the virus situation in Italy.
Am I covered for the airfare? I haven't book any accomodation yet.

Thanks.
12 replies
Sr. Member
Jan 7, 2013
837 posts
507 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
I would inquire if cancelling due to fears of a virus would be covered. AFAIK it might cover you if you couldn't travel due to actually being sick, but not out of fear of becoming sick.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
15849 posts
21612 upvotes
Vancouver
jmichou wrote: Hi there,
I just booked a trip to Europe in the summer and I am thinking of purchasing a travel insurance for trip cancellation in case I decide not to go because of the virus situation in Italy.
Am I covered for the airfare? I haven't book any accomodation yet.

Thanks.
Read the fine print of whatever policy you plan to buy to see if it covers that. Oh, and good luck; you are going to need it.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2727 posts
1989 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
jmichou wrote: Hi there,
I just booked a trip to Europe in the summer and I am thinking of purchasing a travel insurance for trip cancellation in case I decide not to go because of the virus situation in Italy.
Am I covered for the airfare? I haven't book any accomodation yet.

Thanks.
Most insurances have a time limit when you can purchase insurance (with 72 hours of booking). In order to insure your hotel portion you would have to book it and give them the full cost of your trip you want to insure (and by “insure” I mean the amount you want refunded to you in the event you cancelled).

I have yet to hear any airlines / hotels that are offering free cancellation for flights further then March 2020 travel dates (and having said that the only airports affected are Venice - Milan and Verona).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1697 posts
2157 upvotes
BC
Kiraly wrote: Read the fine print of whatever policy you plan to buy to see if it covers that. Oh, and good luck; you are going to need it.
Trip Cancellation Insurance is very specific as to what events (the list is only about 20 items) they will cover unless you are buying "Cancel for whatever reason" insurance, which is much more expensive. You need to read the Covered Events part of the policy you are buying. About the only ones that typically relates to events at a particular country are:

- A travel advisory or formal notice is issued by the Government of Canada after the purchase of your insurance, advising Canadians to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to a country, region or city originally ticketed for your trip
- A natural disaster at your place of destination

Everything else is either death, injury, or illness to you or your family member, or loss of job or called to duty.

At this time the travel advisory for Italy https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/italy is normal, whereas China has "avoid non-essential travel".
Jr. Member
Mar 7, 2010
105 posts
72 upvotes
Milton
I would think, you might be able to cancel if you book before anyone heard of the coronavirus. Now that it's common knowledge, why would any insurance company take a losing bet?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8615 posts
2380 upvotes
Mississauga
jmichou wrote: Hi there,
I just booked a trip to Europe in the summer and I am thinking of purchasing a travel insurance for trip cancellation in case I decide not to go because of the virus situation in Italy.
Am I covered for the airfare? I haven't book any accomodation yet.

Thanks.
I would just buy the cancel for any reason insurance. Not worth the risk.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Sep 26, 2007
680 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
After reading all the comments, I don't think it's worth getting the trip cancellation insurance at this point.
Anyway, I checked with the airline and I'll be able to get a partial refund if I cancel early.
My trip will be at the end of July.
Thank you for all the comments.
Cheers.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1697 posts
2157 upvotes
BC
Update to the situation in Italy: CDC has raised their threat level to 3 on Friday : CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to Italy. Canada hasn't updated their travel advisory yet but will probably do it by next week. If that is the case and you had trip cancellation insurance, it will kick in as the travel advisory will be "avoid non-essential travel", which is covered. Keep checking the Travel Canada website for updated notices.
Sr. Member
Feb 6, 2007
719 posts
225 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: I would just buy the cancel for any reason insurance. Not worth the risk.
Cancel for any reason is only available if you purchase it within 72 hrs after booking, and I think only through the airline you booked with. I booked a flight with AC through a travel agency. They quoted me cancellation insurance with CFAR. I did quotes with other companies as well and none of them offered CFAR. Also, you only get back 50% of your insured value if you claim CFAR.
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2019
990 posts
842 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: Update to the situation in Italy: CDC has raised their threat level to 3 on Friday : CDC recommends avoiding non-essential travel to Italy. Canada hasn't updated their travel advisory yet but will probably do it by next week. If that is the case and you had trip cancellation insurance, it will kick in as the travel advisory will be "avoid non-essential travel", which is covered. Keep checking the Travel Canada website for updated notices.
What about regional non-essential travel advisory? Anyone know how it works differently compare to the full country instead?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2007
1697 posts
2157 upvotes
BC
Sunway wrote: What about regional non-essential travel advisory? Anyone know how it works differently compare to the full country instead?
Read your policy. If it is worded similar to most and says "advising Canadians to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to a country, region or city originally ticketed for your trip", it would apply to a regional advisory also. But that all depends upon your travel ticket as it only covers travel to that particular region. Flying into Rome and then travelling onto to an infected region probably wouldn't qualify for a flight to Rome as Rome isn't on the advisory. Check with your insurance company.
Sr. Member
Sep 18, 2019
990 posts
842 upvotes
WetCoastGuy wrote: Read your policy. If it is worded similar to most and says "advising Canadians to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to a country, region or city originally ticketed for your trip", it would apply to a regional advisory also. But that all depends upon your travel ticket as it only covers travel to that particular region. Flying into Rome and then travelling onto to an infected region probably wouldn't qualify for a flight to Rome as Rome isn't on the advisory. Check with your insurance company.
Thanks, that's what I thought too. You are almost recap my whole situation except it will be Seoul and Daegu (infected region).

Top