Credit Cards

Which travel CC phone support has the least waiting time?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 3:57 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3966 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Which travel CC phone support has the least waiting time?

I have a CIBC card and the wait times are atrocious. 2 hours is normal for me. I have had to call a couple of times recently and don't want to keep the card anymore.

For those who have called in recently, which card has good waiting times? Amex? None?
14 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 1, 2008
1890 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
Not Tangerine, but they gave me 5$ for my wait at least
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 14, 2003
5724 posts
4195 upvotes
LaLaLand
Bomberman07 wrote: Not Tangerine, but they gave me 5$ for my wait at least
+1

The only reason I still have a tangerine account is because the wait time to get through to close the account is too long.

I called CIBC four times in June and each call was less than ten minutes long. I called them first thing the morning - which would be mid-morning for you. I think avoid calling in the afternoon or evening and it will be faster to get through.
Last edited by batcave on Aug 16th, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Dec 20, 2017
809 posts
966 upvotes
+1 to American Express. Almost never any holds unless calling during weekends or late night (8pmish). Sometimes the call gets connected right away without any hold music or ringing tone, especially true if calling in for card services or concierge direct line.

Second would depend on your bank's top tier cards. Visa Infinite Privilege cards usually have the least waiting time due to priority calls / different reps handling those phone calls.

With RBC I recall reading terms where the VIP banking plan and above receive priority call routing if you're an existing client that also holds their cards. However with the revamped site I'm not sure where the terms are now located.
💳 Collected: RBC VIP for Private Banking, TD VIP, BMO VIP, HSBC Premier WE MC, Amex PP, Amex BP, Amex BG, Amex Cobalt, BMO WE MC, CDC Indigo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3966 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Delight wrote: +1 to American Express. Almost never any holds unless calling during weekends or late night (8pmish). Sometimes the call gets connected right away without any hold music or ringing tone, especially true if calling in for card services or concierge direct line.

Second would depend on your bank's top tier cards. Visa Infinite Privilege cards usually have the least waiting time due to priority calls / different reps handling those phone calls.

With RBC I recall reading terms where the VIP banking plan and above receive priority call routing if you're an existing client that also holds their cards. However with the revamped site I'm not sure where the terms are now located.
I have Aventura card, which is $120/year. I don't know if it's low tier or high tier compared to their other cards. CIBC's call center doesn't ask for the CC number, so the wait time would still be the same in this case.

For other banks it might be different.
Sr. Member
Jul 31, 2012
599 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
canoek wrote: I have a CIBC card and the wait times are atrocious. 2 hours is normal for me. I have had to call a couple of times recently and don't want to keep the card anymore.

For those who have called in recently, which card has good waiting times? Amex? None?
Amex, and TD if you call through the mobile app there's no wait (at least I've never had to wait)
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
15530 posts
14042 upvotes
Going to the Moon
AmEx or CTFS. Sure, CTFS may not be a "travel CC", but it has roadside assistance, and their wait times are short.

TD calling through the app has been buggy for me at times. Am no longer able to verify as I've been cut off from EasyWeb :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2019
2687 posts
4373 upvotes
BC
With TD if you call from their mobile app you pretty much always get connected to an agent right away and they already have all your information. It is by far the smoothest call-in experience of all the banks IME.

HSBC has a similar feature in their app but it doesn't work quite as well as TD's. However when calling HSBC Mastercard directly I've never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Amex is usually pretty quick too as other have already mentioned.

Tangerine has been the worst for me with waiting times. They are also by far the worst with false positive fraud alerts which means you have to call in often.

All other banks are hit and miss with waiting times IME. Trying at different times of the day helps sometimes.
Sr. Member
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
canoek wrote: I have a CIBC card and the wait times are atrocious. 2 hours is normal for me. I have had to call a couple of times recently and don't want to keep the card anymore.

For those who have called in recently, which card has good waiting times? Amex? None?
AMEX, Canadian Tire & Scotiabank didn't require me to wait for a long time. The wait for BMO is as long as your experience with CIBC. I ended up having to go into a BMO branch to get them to call their internal line to jump the queue to cancel my card.

AMEX & CTC were the fastest from my experience.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3966 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto, ON
deltatux wrote: AMEX, Canadian Tire & Scotiabank didn't require me to wait for a long time. The wait for BMO is as long as your experience with CIBC. I ended up having to go into a BMO branch to get them to call their internal line to jump the queue to cancel my card.

AMEX & CTC were the fastest from my experience.
I bank with BMO and every time I have had to call I swore I would switch banks. Just got lazy and never did it. With a CC it's much easier so I will defo do so.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
3966 posts
3187 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rhw123 wrote: With TD if you call from their mobile app you pretty much always get connected to an agent right away and they already have all your information. It is by far the smoothest call-in experience of all the banks IME.

HSBC has a similar feature in their app but it doesn't work quite as well as TD's. However when calling HSBC Mastercard directly I've never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Amex is usually pretty quick too as other have already mentioned.

Tangerine has been the worst for me with waiting times. They are also by far the worst with false positive fraud alerts which means you have to call in often.

All other banks are hit and miss with waiting times IME. Trying at different times of the day helps sometimes.
HSBC was never on my radar until now. I am going to look at their offerings.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9149 upvotes
The NORTH
Have you tried to call from inside your banks mobile app? I bank with TD and have had to contact them a couple times the last month. Each time I log into the App and click on Contact Us, then click on the 1800 number. I never have to wait more than a minute to talk with someone that has my financial info in front of them. Total time on the phone is less then 5 minutes and they haven't farmed out the call center to overseas so there is no issue with language at all.
Sr. Member
Mar 25, 2015
784 posts
711 upvotes
Scotia, CIBC, Simplii - pretty bad
RBC - relatively short wait time, but still wait (5-10 minutes on average for me)
Amex - you rarely ever call them, but when you do, it's immediate answer
Member
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
224 posts
11 upvotes
Southern Ontario
rhw123 wrote: Tangerine has been the worst for me with waiting times. They are also by far the worst with false positive fraud alerts which means you have to call in often.
I'm having the "false positive" experience with Rogers MasterCard and was considering the Tangerine MC as a replacement. Based on this, I won't bother. I'll go back to my Scotiabank VISA. Don't recall any false positives with them and phone calls weren't unpleasant.

Top