Travel

Travel with Children

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2021 11:45 am
Feb 17, 2009
203 posts
31 upvotes

Travel with Children

Has anyone travelled with children recently from YVR? How is the airport? Did you feel safe on the flight? Anyone end up getting COVID while travelling or upon return?

Just curious as to if travel is starting to return to normal, and looking for some people's first hand experiences. Thanks in advance!
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Biggest issue with kids are they are not vaccinated if under 12

In which case you got to worry even more about them catching something abroad *

Plus if you travel outside of Canada

Unvaccinated, they are subject to more stringent rules than others in their family when they return

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... dians.html

14 days of a Semi Quarantine state plus testing

* So don’t forget to get Travel Medical Insurance for everyone in your family
For more info see my post here on what to look for
winter-sunvacation-options-2488937/#p35057921
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Goodwill234 wrote: Has anyone travelled with children recently from YVR? How is the airport? Did you feel safe on the flight? Anyone end up getting COVID while travelling or upon return?

Just curious as to if travel is starting to return to normal, and looking for some people's first hand experiences. Thanks in advance!
Not YVR but have flown through Toronto/YYZ several times internationally when our baby was under 1 (have re-entered Canada 4x since July returning from trips from Italy/ Portugal and twice to Mexico). No issues whatsoever.

Husband and I are fully vaccinated but our now 1 year old is not. Depending on the age of the kids they won’t need a covid test to return (IRC it applies to children under 5 years old).

No other quarantine required by the government. If your kids are in school/daycare they may not be allowed to attend group settings like school/daycare/extra curriculars. With a 1 year old none of that impacts us so it really depends on your personal circumstance.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
we passed through YVR in August on the way to and from Hawaii, it was very quiet.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2017
1117 posts
279 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Not YVR but have flown through Toronto/YYZ several times internationally when our baby was under 1 (have re-entered Canada 4x since July returning from trips from Italy/ Portugal and twice to Mexico). No issues whatsoever.

Husband and I are fully vaccinated but our now 1 year old is not. Depending on the age of the kids they won’t need a covid test to return (IRC it applies to children under 5 years old).

No other quarantine required by the government. If your kids are in school/daycare they may not be allowed to attend group settings like school/daycare/extra curriculars. With a 1 year old none of that impacts us so it really depends on your personal circumstance.
Awesome info Brunettegirl. I know you very active on the travel section. I don’t want to derail the thread or start a new one, but I have a credit from TAP from last summer. I have to book my flights at least by January to go to Lisbon. How was enterinbPortugal with the child? Also when’s the best time to book flights to Portugal? I’m looking to go end of July until mid august.
Penalty Box
Nov 13, 2010
7814 posts
1867 upvotes
Scarborough
No issues, traveled with kids to back home country.
It was good, kids were exempt as they're under 5/6yrs.
Go ahead and travel.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2879 posts
2271 upvotes
Toronto
Hi @Mylocosta
Sorry I just saw this.

We also flew TAP (through Lisbon) both directions was pretty busy in terms of passengers. No issues to report and service was the same (with masks of course). No issues travelling with the baby (in terms of entering/exiting Portugal and returning to Canada).

I find August overall is busier given many Europeans take time off during that time (same goes for accommodation costs). This can especially be said for the tourist areas (Algarve).

I have no idea what is to come in terms of pricing for flights (will prices go up or go down?). I can argue both sides so it remains to be seen. Since you have to book by January (assuming you have a credit?) I would just bite the bullet and do it if prices seem fair to you. January is still far off so depending what happens I would probably call closer to the date and see if you can extend vouchers just for the piece of mind.