• Aug 16th, 2017 8:07 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3499 posts
856 upvotes
YWG

Travel insurance - Heading to Asia

I'll be doing some rigorous activities be it snorkeling etc... it'll be for 5weeks.

Blue cross - I've always used Blue Cross since it's easily accessible to purchase but only used it for US trips. No where I could find says it doesn't cover extreme activities.

TD by melonex - Found the exclusions... NEGATIVE for activities.

World Nomads by TripMATE: COVERS activities but... I've read a lot of reviews on trustpilot and now world nomads handle all their claims through tripmate.
This be it causing very great delays in processing and even claim denials after they took over. Not to mention their price is $80 more than the previous.

Any one have any input on travel insurance especially World Nomads after Tripmate took over their claims processing?
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20877 posts
19145 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ya need to give us a better idea of what activities you are considering...

Snorkeling is not considered an "extreme sport" so is covered by all major vacation travel insurance. Scuba on the other hand may not be (but in some situations is)

Insurance Cos differentiate based on the higher likelihood of injury

Therefore the term "extreme" doesn't naturally correlate to what are considered extreme sports, but to riskier activities... Ie parasailing
Jan 8, 2009
828 posts
505 upvotes
GTA
World Nomads is still underwritten by AIG Insurance Company in Canada, not Tripmate. This is the same insurance company we dealt with for all of our trips including our year-long RTW and several month-long trips to South America and Europe. During the RTW we made a couple of minor claims and had them easily covered. During one of the South America trips, I was hospitalized and they covered everything even though we were not able to alert them up front that I'd been hospitalized. They may cost more than some other companies but they cover pretty much everything and we've never had a problem with them.

p.s. World Nomads covers pretty much all "extreme" activities. Specifically what they cover for Canadians is here: https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/custom ... rld-nomads
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3499 posts
856 upvotes
YWG
Ok, maybe I should pass on parasailing/scuba I guess!
Mostly i'll be doing muay thai and amusement park adventures while im there. This I guess is covered since it isn't so extreme?
Also might be going to one of those beauty surgery clinics for a scar revision.
PointsHubby wrote: Ya need to give us a better idea of what activities you are considering...

Snorkeling is not considered an "extreme sport" so is covered by all major vacation travel insurance. Scuba on the other hand may not be (but in some situations is)

Insurance Cos differentiate based on the higher likelihood of injury

Therefore the term "extreme" doesn't naturally correlate to what are considered extreme sports, but to riskier activities... Ie parasailing
How long ago was this? Read some reviews on trustpilot that people are having troubles because of tripmate or something for claims?
jrbb0309 wrote: World Nomads is still underwritten by AIG Insurance Company in Canada, not Tripmate. This is the same insurance company we dealt with for all of our trips including our year-long RTW and several month-long trips to South America and Europe. During the RTW we made a couple of minor claims and had them easily covered. During one of the South America trips, I was hospitalized and they covered everything even though we were not able to alert them up front that I'd been hospitalized. They may cost more than some other companies but they cover pretty much everything and we've never had a problem with them.

p.s. World Nomads covers pretty much all "extreme" activities. Specifically what they cover for Canadians is here: https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/custom ... rld-nomads
World Nomads is about $60-80 more expensive then every other insurance co and every other of them before hospitalization you need to notify them beforehand which seems kind of a bad thing especially since I am soloing this adventure!
Jan 8, 2009
828 posts
505 upvotes
GTA
How long ago was this? Read some reviews on trustpilot that people are having troubles because of tripmate or something for claims?
World Nomads is out of Australia. They use different insurance companies in most of the countries they cover. Tripmate is the states and AIG is Canada. That's your home country of residence, not where you're travelling. AIG still covers Canadians and our experiences have all been positive with them.
World Nomads is about $60-80 more expensive then every other insurance co and every other of them before hospitalization you need to notify them beforehand which seems kind of a bad thing especially since I am soloing this adventure!
And what I am saying is that AIG worked with us in both cases - on our RTW and when I was hospitalized in Peru - where we could not follow the letter of the insurance - on our RTW we had no ability (because we were out in the middle of nowhere in China) to contact them before seeing a doctor and in Peru, for whatever reason, we couldn't get through to their number and had to let them know after the fact. My stay wasn't huge. It was 1 night to the tune of $1500 CDN but they covered it without any trouble. I'd gladly pay $60-80 more to actually be covered when I need it.

Lastly - you can scuba and parasail with World Nomads. You simply have to keep it to a beginner level (and to 30 metres with scuba) and make sure you adhere to your exclusions. Check the chart I linked.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12306 posts
4791 upvotes
Toronto
Thread topic is not related to its content, because Travel insurance doesn't matter really matter where you go except those where have travel advisory warning.

I doubt snorkeling is classified as extreme sports, but be sure to ask. Other activities like scuba may be excluded.
Have fun to your trip.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3499 posts
856 upvotes
YWG
Sounds like coverage is in full effect unlike the other companies where you have to call them first to make sure it's ok which defeats the purpose!
Won't be doing to much crazy stuff this time around maybe some MMA in Thailand and that's about it.
I hope they cover incase of hospitilization due to scar revision though.
I'll be getting blue cross instead of World Nomad since I've restricted my participation of extreme sports.
I paid via TD infinite visa so I may have coverage there but incase they decline any medical...
I'll have blue cross travel insurance in case. Except in the blue cross travel insurance case you have to call them for approval...
Thanks for your input!
quote=jrbb0309 post_id=28088941 time=1502197559 user_id=206256]
World Nomads is out of Australia. They use different insurance companies in most of the countries they cover. Tripmate is the states and AIG is Canada. That's your home country of residence, not where you're travelling. AIG still covers Canadians and our experiences have all been positive with them.

And what I am saying is that AIG worked with us in both cases - on our RTW and when I was hospitalized in Peru - where we could not follow the letter of the insurance - on our RTW we had no ability (because we were out in the middle of nowhere in China) to contact them before seeing a doctor and in Peru, for whatever reason, we couldn't get through to their number and had to let them know after the fact. My stay wasn't huge. It was 1 night to the tune of $1500 CDN but they covered it without any trouble. I'd gladly pay $60-80 more to actually be covered when I need it.

Lastly - you can scuba and parasail with World Nomads. You simply have to keep it to a beginner level (and to 30 metres with scuba) and make sure you adhere to your exclusions. Check the chart I linked.
[/quote]

Thanks! Now that you're retired get out and get some sunshine you vampire! :P
MP3_SKY wrote: Thread topic is not related to its content, because Travel insurance doesn't matter really matter where you go except those where have travel advisory warning.

I doubt snorkeling is classified as extreme sports, but be sure to ask. Other activities like scuba may be excluded.
Have fun to your trip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)