• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 8:53 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
165 posts
10 upvotes

Travel Interruption From Covid

I was on a trip during COVID-19. I book everything through my Rogers WE MC that has travel insurance through Allianz Global. Once everything was about to get lockdown at the border. I changed my flight to go home early.

Can anyone let me know what benefits i'm entitled to through my travel insurance. I finally got some money back after a year from the extra cost i had to pay to change my flight home earlier.

Thanks in advance.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2600 posts
1790 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
YCBS28 wrote: I was on a trip during COVID-19. I book everything through my Rogers WE MC that has travel insurance through Allianz Global. Once everything was about to get lockdown at the border. I changed my flight to go home early.

Can anyone let me know what benefits i'm entitled to through my travel insurance. I finally got some money back after a year from the extra cost i had to pay to change my flight home earlier.

Thanks in advance.
Just going by what I’ve personally seen in the aftermath of insurance claims. It really depends on so many factors.

The problem with the “border closing” is that the Canadian border was never going to close to Canadians. Let’s say you were in (example) Panama and changed your flight to come home on March 17 (after the March 12 announcement) instead of your original return flight of (example) April 15. You *might* be able to use the interruption clause IF the airline you were flying cancelled your original flight booked bc yes a lot of countries “closed” their borders which resulted in airlines cancelling flights after a certain date (and that date varies by country). You could also argue that you followed government advice in that case.

I saw a ton of cases where someone was in XXXX place and paid to change their flight to come home on (example) March 18 2020 instead of their original scheduled flight of March 20 2020 (but the March 20 flights still operated). A lot of those people are SOL.

So you would have to provide us more details on where you were... what your original return time/flight to Canada was .... and the flight date you paid for when you made the change
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
165 posts
10 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote: Just going by what I’ve personally seen in the aftermath of insurance claims. It really depends on so many factors.

The problem with the “border closing” is that the Canadian border was never going to close to Canadians. Let’s say you were in (example) Panama and changed your flight to come home on March 17 (after the March 12 announcement) instead of your original return flight of (example) April 15. You *might* be able to use the interruption clause IF the airline you were flying cancelled your original flight booked bc yes a lot of countries “closed” their borders which resulted in airlines cancelling flights after a certain date (and that date varies by country). You could also argue that you followed government advice in that case.

I saw a ton of cases where someone was in XXXX place and paid to change their flight to come home on (example) March 18 2020 instead of their original scheduled flight of March 20 2020 (but the March 20 flights still operated). A lot of those people are SOL.

So you would have to provide us more details on where you were... what your original return time/flight to Canada was .... and the flight date you paid for when you made the change
I did get paid out the cost i paid for to change it earlier. At first they denied my claim. But i appealed it and they sent me a cheque. I'm not too sure what else i can get from cutting my trip short. I'm happy that i got something back. But just seeing them send me money for the flight change got me curious to see what else they were or weren't suppose to pay me
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
165 posts
10 upvotes
Especially knowing how shady some of these insurance companies are
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1797 posts
877 upvotes
I'm not sure what else you are looking for? You got the money to change your flight. What else are you out of pocket for?
[OP]
Feb 7, 2013
165 posts
10 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: I'm not sure what else you are looking for? You got the money to change your flight. What else are you out of pocket for?
I pre book 3 nights at a hotel and 1 activity. At the time i couldnt cancel it.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17958 posts
15428 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
YCBS28 wrote: I pre book 3 nights at a hotel and 1 activity. At the time i couldnt cancel it.
Well ... if you have the right insurance ... then ya it may be recoverable.

WHAT DOES THE FINE PRINT SAY IN YOUR AGREEMENT ?

Seriously ... no one can know that here ... terms of your agreement ... only you can read the contract.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36250 posts
10430 upvotes
Ottawa
YCBS28 wrote: Especially knowing how shady some of these insurance companies are
Nothing shady about the insurance companies. The terms and conditions are all there before you buy the policy.
It is your responsibility to know what you bought.