[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1556 posts
136 upvotes
C-53

Travel from LHR to BHX

Folks,

What's the best way to get to Birmingham (BHX) from London's Heathrow (LHR)? 4 people. Train? Drive? Taxi?
Please thank me if you find this helpful
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
2978 posts
90 upvotes
British Columbia
doomhammer wrote: Folks,

What's the best way to get to Birmingham (BHX) from London's Heathrow (LHR)? 4 people. Train? Drive? Taxi?
Car would be the best way if you have a family or friend dropping you off (It's approximately 2 hours away via the M40). Are you travelling from airport to airport? Trains are a possibility as well, but it depends on how soon you are travelling. The further out you book, the cheaper it is.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6791 posts
3074 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Train you have to get into London and probably change train stations (if using Heathrow Express).

Bus, as fast as 2:30, direct no change.

Taxi (or chauffeured car) would most likely be fastest but most expensive. Needs pre-booking for chauffuered car (or probably van in your case) which would be cheaper than taxi..

Car rental, familiar with U.K. driving? Could be stressful due to traffic.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1556 posts
136 upvotes
C-53
StarStrike wrote: Car would be the best way if you have a family or friend dropping you off (It's approximately 2 hours away via the M40). Are you travelling from airport to airport? Trains are a possibility as well, but it depends on how soon you are travelling. The further out you book, the cheaper it is.
Actually I need to get to Coventry, UK and the tickets to BHX are more expensive than LHR. So plan B is to fly to LHR and somehow get to Coventry. Someone suggested taking a train to BHX and then maybe I can get a pickup to Coventry from BHX.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1556 posts
136 upvotes
C-53
thriftshopper wrote: Train you have to get into London and probably change train stations (if using Heathrow Express).

Bus, as fast as 2:30, direct no change.

Taxi (or chauffeured car) would most likely be fastest but most expensive. Needs pre-booking for chauffuered car (or probably van in your case) which would be cheaper than taxi..

Car rental, familiar with U.K. driving? Could be stressful due to traffic.
Yah .. no! I cannot drive on their side of the road. I will definitely cause multiple accidents.

I'm thinking of taking a train from BHX to LHR. What do you suggest ?

Thx.

PS first time going to the motherland EHEHEHHE .. looking fwd to this trip!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6065 posts
2932 upvotes
Toronto
doomhammer wrote: Actually I need to get to Coventry, UK and the tickets to BHX are more expensive than LHR. So plan B is to fly to LHR and somehow get to Coventry. Someone suggested taking a train to BHX and then maybe I can get a pickup to Coventry from BHX.
I would just take the bus. There are direct buses from Heathrow to Coventry, takes about 3+ hours (shorter and cheaper if you take the Megabus in the middle of the night).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6791 posts
3074 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I was literally giving airport to airport. If you destination is Coventry, bus would be simplest.

Rail may be a bit more frequent and slightly faster but involves going into London (everything revolves around London much like Toronto). Walk for the London Underground station for Coventry-bound trains (guessing it's Euston) is not the shortest walk if on the surface lines (Circle/District). Depends on how vigorous and fit your party is.

Driving is fine but requires attention (e.g., constant dodging of parked cards and road bollards and pedestrian islands) and agility that most North American drivers do not have. I've often dropped off rental cars on one side of the road an a couple of hours later picked up another on on the other side of the road (primarily between Italy and Malta)
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1349 posts
794 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: I would just take the bus. There are direct buses from Heathrow to Coventry, takes about 3+ hours (shorter and cheaper if you take the Megabus in the middle of the night).
Probably the best idea. The M40 is an easy drive, as is the M25 when it's not too busy, but if you've never driven on the left (and possibly not a manual) then bus or train. Train would be awkward as LHR into London and back out again towards Coventry is certainly doable, but a bit of a pain. A straight bus from LHR to Cov is easiest, especially after an overnight flight.

First time in the UK and Coventry is your destination. Poor person. Mind you I used to live in Redditch on and off so it's an improvement.
Jan 30, 2013
921 posts
206 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
book an airport transfer(minicab), not too expensive if shared by a few people and most likely cheaper than public transport. For a MPV ,cost is GBP150?
Last edited by goldenball on Sep 11th, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1556 posts
136 upvotes
C-53
The Canterbury Tail wrote: Probably the best idea. The M40 is an easy drive, as is the M25 when it's not too busy, but if you've never driven on the left (and possibly not a manual) then bus or train. Train would be awkward as LHR into London and back out again towards Coventry is certainly doable, but a bit of a pain. A straight bus from LHR to Cov is easiest, especially after an overnight flight.

First time in the UK and Coventry is your destination. Poor person. Mind you I used to live in Redditch on and off so it's an improvement.
Lol thanks. Well Coventry is only for a few days. We have some travel planned into Scotland & Wales and if time permitting and $$ <-- then maybe either Turkey or Greece. I'm taking 4 weeks off from work.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1556 posts
136 upvotes
C-53
thriftshopper wrote: I was literally giving airport to airport. If you destination is Coventry, bus would be simplest.
I can get picked up from BHX by my local contact. That's why I'm not worried about getting to Coventry straight from LHR. Mind you I have 2 little kids travelling with me, so doing midnight missions are not really feasible :D