Travel

Travel Medical Emergency coverage with multiple credit cards - additive effect?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 8:11 pm
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
25 posts
29 upvotes

Travel Medical Emergency coverage with multiple credit cards - additive effect?

As I understand, Travel Medical Emergency coverage provided by credit card is valid even if you don't charge the cost of the trip to the card.

So if you have multiple credit cards with varying amounts of coverage,

let's say

BMO World Elite $2M
TD First Class $1M
Scotiabank Passport Visa Inf $1M

Can you use all three cards' coverage if needed?

For instance, if the hospital bill came out to be $4M, would BMO cover the 1st $2M, then TD the next $1M, then Scotia the next $1M?
20 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
I believe you have to charge the flights on the card before medical becomes effective.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2364 posts
3086 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I believe you have to charge the flights on the card before medical becomes effective.
Not an any of the cards I have or have ever had.

Trip interruption/cancellation insurance DOES require that (often 75%-100% of covered trip costs) - travel medical emergency, typically not.

To the OP's question - whatever card you have will have sent you (and usually available for download) the insurance terms. It is an absolute necessity to READ that to understand the coverage. If you have multiple coverages, there will be terms that generally determine who is "primary" carrier (Provincial is default first, then likely any private purchased insurance, then credit card insurance and unless the policy excludes it, coverage should overlap unless it is specifically excluded). Look for the term "co-ordinate payment" or similar. My RBC card insurance has specific statements about payment co-ordination and limits.
Last edited by robsaw on Jul 25th, 2020 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
robsaw wrote: Not an any of the cards I have or have ever had.

Trip interruption/cancellation insurance DOES require that (often 75%-100% of covered trip costs) - travel medical emergency, typically not.
So, you are saying that medical insurance is a benefit of holding a credit card??
Deal Addict
May 16, 2017
2364 posts
3086 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: So, you are saying that medical insurance is a benefit of holding a credit card??
Yes - well, for cards that include that benefit - you generally don't need to PAY for the trip with that card to be covered, just for you to be the card holder/spouse/dependent. Here is wording from RBC Westjet Word Elite - not difference in wording between policy statements for Medical vs Trip Interruption.

Trip Interruption (similar statement exists for all other insurances, other than Emergency Medical):
"Effective date means the date and time of purchase of prepaid travel,
accommodations and recreation arrangements, provided you pay the entire cost
with your WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard and/or WestJet dollars.
"

Medical:
"This insurance coverage begins whenever you leave your departure point.
You will be covered for the first:
- Fifteen (15) consecutive days of a trip, including the date you leave on your trip
and the date you return from your trip, if you are under 65 years of age.
- Three (3) consecutive days of a trip, including the date you leave on your trip and
the date you return from your trip, if you are 65 years of age or older.
Coverage ends, individually for the applicant and each additional cardholder, at the
earliest of:
1. The date you return to your province or territory of residence; or
2. The date your WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard account is cancelled; or
3. The date your WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard account is sixty (60) days past
due; or
4. The date you have been absent for more than fifteen (15) consecutive days from
your province or territory of residence if you are under 65 years of age or the
date you have been absent for more than three (3) consecutive days from your
province or territory of residence if you are 65 years of age or older; or
5. The date the group insurance policy is cancelled by the Insurer or Royal Bank.
However, such cancellation of coverage shall not apply to travel arrangements
charged to your WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard card prior to the cancellation
date of the group insurance policy. "
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
pumpkinzab wrote: As I understand, Travel Medical Emergency coverage provided by credit card is valid even if you don't charge the cost of the trip to the card.

So if you have multiple credit cards with varying amounts of coverage,

let's say

BMO World Elite $2M
TD First Class $1M
Scotiabank Passport Visa Inf $1M

Can you use all three cards' coverage if needed?

For instance, if the hospital bill came out to be $4M, would BMO cover the 1st $2M, then TD the next $1M, then Scotia the next $1M?
No, your maximum will be still $2M
If the other carrier knows that you have coverage elsewhere, they may ask other insurance carrier to split the cost of the medical expense. Not all adding it up.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36412 posts
10690 upvotes
Ottawa
robsaw wrote: Yes - well, for cards that include that benefit - you generally don't need to PAY for the trip with that card to be covered, just for you to be the card holder/spouse/dependent. Here is wording from RBC Westjet Word Elite - not difference in wording between policy statements for Medical vs Trip Interruption.

Trip ....
I get that, my card has pretty close to the same wording. My point is that it is applicable if you make the purchase using that card.
I have a card that also has purchase protection but, if I use my other card or pay cash, there is no purchase protection from that card.

If what you are saying is correct, why would anyone buy travel or medical insurance, just apply for a card and keep it in your pocket and get that insurance for free.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7252 posts
6424 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I get that, my card has pretty close to the same wording. My point is that it is applicable if you make the purchase using that card.
I have a card that also has purchase protection but, if I use my other card or pay cash, there is no purchase protection from that card.

If what you are saying is correct, why would anyone buy travel or medical insurance, just apply for a card and keep it in your pocket and get that insurance for free.
All credit cards I have that have travel medical insurance don't require any purchase of travel expenses for coverage

As for why people buy travel insurance, not everyone has the premium cards that typically have annual fees or they need additional beyond coverage from their CC or some just don't know they're covered (like LDW on rental cars with cc coverage)
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
25 posts
29 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: No, your maximum will be still $2M
If the other carrier knows that you have coverage elsewhere, they may ask other insurance carrier to split the cost of the medical expense. Not all adding it up.
how would they able to determine if I have coverage with other providers?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7252 posts
6424 upvotes
pumpkinzab wrote: how would they able to determine if I have coverage with other providers?
When you make a claim they ask if you're covered under any other plan and/or will be making a claim

It's like coordination of benefits of your regular health insurance from work if someone is covered under multiple policies
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
pumpkinzab wrote: how would they able to determine if I have coverage with other providers?
StatsGuy wrote: When you make a claim they ask if you're covered under any other plan and/or will be making a claim

It's like coordination of benefits of your regular health insurance from work if someone is covered under multiple policies
Exactly. Insurance companies know what they are doing.

Not sure with MIB also applicable to Travel insurance, but MIB.com share information to other members (insurance companies) rather the insured have/had insurance elsewhere, medical history declared in the past, claim history etc.

I used to sell Travel insurance for a company many many years ago and their medical coverage is unlimited. Not sure why OP is that concern about rather it is 2M or 4M.
If the medical expenses are that huge, they rather book a flight and bring you back to Canada for treatment, than leaving you in a foreign country and paying sky rocket medical expenses everyday.

Of course, they will wait until you are stable before flying you back, not when you are about to die. lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5786 posts
4931 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: I get that, my card has pretty close to the same wording. My point is that it is applicable if you make the purchase using that card.

Not all travel requires the purchase of an airfare. The cc coverage will apply if you travel by driving to the USA where you’re not going to have any airfare to charge to the card.
[OP]
Feb 4, 2010
25 posts
29 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Not sure why OP is that concern about rather it is 2M or 4M.
So $2M coverage is sufficient?

Because there are other credit cards that offer $5M insurance but with higher annual fees.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7252 posts
6424 upvotes
pumpkinzab wrote: So $2M coverage is sufficient?

Because there are other credit cards that offer $5M insurance but with higher annual fees.
Normally it should be but a relative had anyerism in Hawaii and had to stay for like over a month before they could transport him back to Canada and the hospital bills were over 2M. Luckily he bought 5M insurance so was covered
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto

Nobody can answer you that question.

Will it ever cost that much? Yes, possible.
Does it likely to happen? No.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20534 posts
13927 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Depends on where you are going and the length of the trip. If I was travelling to a 3rd world country, I would say no as it may be costly to go to a private hospital and then be medivac'd out to a Western hospital and then back home. Due to the high cost of care in the US, I would also include the US in needing more coverage. Many insurance companies will allow you to buy a rider on top of your existing insurance so that you can increase the coverage - ie buy a 3M plan to add to the 2M existing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5393 posts
7668 upvotes
Ontario
craftsman wrote: Depends on where you are going and the length of the trip. If I was travelling to a 3rd world country, I would say no as it may be costly to go to a private hospital and then be medivac'd out to a Western hospital and then back home. Due to the high cost of care in the US, I would also include the US in needing more coverage. Many insurance companies will allow you to buy a rider on top of your existing insurance so that you can increase the coverage - ie buy a 3M plan to add to the 2M existing.
Good to know about the rider options. Whenever I've had to skim through the travel insurance info Mom picks up at her bank, it seems like the brochure contains how much coverage and what services will be provided. But I'm left feeling that if this insurance was reviewed well in advance and customer service contacted, a more tailored insurance plan could be made for her travels over the border. And I have to argue with her to read the fine print and she usually does not.
Fall is here!😃
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1492 posts
604 upvotes
West GTA
robsaw wrote: Trip interruption/cancellation insurance does require that (often 75%-100% of covered trip costs)
Are you saying that in order for you to get cancellation/interruption insurance you must charge 75-100% of your trip to the card?

My TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite card requires the full cost of the trip to be charged. If my trip gets interrupted or cancelled there is obviously a portion (part or whole) that has not been taken which would have incurred additional expenses (e.g. meals).

I've always wondered how they could realistically determine this. They could deny on a technicality as practically nobody is going to be able to charge absolutely 100% of their trip to a CC unless it's a fully all-inclusive where they pick you up and drop you off at your door and you don't spend a penny otherwise whether a coffee at the airport paid with cash, a cash tip to a tour guide, etc.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
4941 posts
6144 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Normally it should be but a relative had anyerism in Hawaii and had to stay for like over a month before they could transport him back to Canada and the hospital bills were over 2M. Luckily he bought 5M insurance so was covered
Hope your relative is OK.
Point of the story is don't travel to the US.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20534 posts
13927 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Ciel wrote: Good to know about the rider options. Whenever I've had to skim through the travel insurance info Mom picks up at her bank, it seems like the brochure contains how much coverage and what services will be provided. But I'm left feeling that if this insurance was reviewed well in advance and customer service contacted, a more tailored insurance plan could be made for her travels over the border. And I have to argue with her to read the fine print and she usually does not.
Fine print, or missing the fine print, could prove costly so you are doing your Mom a favour by forcing her to read it. One more thing that is important especially for the older people among us is pre-existing conditions and how travel insurance may or may not consider it important as far as reimbursement is concerned. I remember the multiple horror stories that typically makes the rounds from the media about insurnace companies cancelling coverage due to a 'pre-existing' condition that may not have played a part in the situation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)