Travel

Travel from Shanghai or Hongkong to Toronto during COVID 19?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 6:46 pm
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
962 posts
504 upvotes

Travel from Shanghai or Hongkong to Toronto during COVID 19?

Hey guys
I honestly can't find ANY options now, my parents need to visit Toronto for emergency case, as they are my immediate family.. they are allowed.
All prep works are done like VISA stuff, but I don't see any flights.
Does anyone know if flights are available from either Shanghai or any other part of China to Toronto that's not like 3 stops take 40 hours flight?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1075 posts
537 upvotes
Ottawa
huh?
I see daily flights from hong kong to toronto, 2 stops\19 hours, nearly every day for ~1k.
Google flights is your friend.
hk.jpg
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
962 posts
504 upvotes
jay_w wrote: huh?
I see daily flights from hong kong to toronto, 2 stops\19 hours, nearly every day for ~1k.
Google flights is your friend.
hk.jpg
I figured just now, yeah Hongkong looks better, but they are in Mainland China now... so I'm not sure what quarantine is like if they go to Hong Kong first... do you have any clue for Shanghai or Guangzhou?
Oct 23, 2013
231 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto
China Eastern has direct flights to Toronto via Shanghai every Thursday, but be prepared to pay out of your ass for those tickets.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7279 posts
6455 upvotes
ESJExplorer wrote: I figured just now, yeah Hongkong looks better, but they are in Mainland China now... so I'm not sure what quarantine is like if they go to Hong Kong first... do you have any clue for Shanghai or Guangzhou?
Cathay still flies to both PVG and YYZ via Hkg

They can transit through Hkg without quarantine now I believe
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
1075 posts
537 upvotes
Ottawa
ESJExplorer wrote: I figured just now, yeah Hongkong looks better, but they are in Mainland China now... so I'm not sure what quarantine is like if they go to Hong Kong first... do you have any clue for Shanghai or Guangzhou?
no clue. when i looked, Shanghai flights were 5k.... I'd suggest spending some time on google flights, with the "multiple destination" option, if they're not in hongkong. Or get them to HK for a night, and ship them off from there.

edit: sorry, missed the quarantine part. not sure. look on canadas covid travel advisories... but i'm sure anyone from china would still have to adhere to the 2 week quaratine... i'm fairly certain it can be done at a family home, but i don't know for sure.
Aug 12, 2014
486 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote: Cathay still flies to both PVG and YYZ via Hkg

They can transit through Hkg without quarantine now I believe
cathay operates flight to China, but one cannot fly to china via HKG.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... -kong.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Transit restrictions

In this first phase, transiting to and from destinations in Mainland China is not available.

All sea-to-air ferry services (Greater Bay Area to Hong Kong) and air-to-sea ferry services (Hong Kong to Greater Bay Area) are also suspended.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7279 posts
6455 upvotes
wirespeed wrote: cathay operates flight to China, but one cannot fly to china via HKG.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_US/ ... -kong.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Transit restrictions

In this first phase, transiting to and from destinations in Mainland China is not available.

All sea-to-air ferry services (Greater Bay Area to Hong Kong) and air-to-sea ferry services (Hong Kong to Greater Bay Area) are also suspended.
OP parents are departing from china, so should be ok?
Aug 12, 2014
486 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto, ON
StatsGuy wrote: OP parents are departing from china, so should be ok?
Transit restrictions

Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7279 posts
6455 upvotes
wirespeed wrote: Transit restrictions

Thanks..missed that. I guess they can self quarantine in hkg for 14 days and then onwards to yyz from HKG then?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2011
962 posts
504 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Thanks..missed that. I guess they can self quarantine in hkg for 14 days and then onwards to yyz from HKG then?
Thats the best bet for cost wise I think unless I don't mind spending $6000 per person for Shanghai one LOL