• Apr 6th, 2016 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 25, 2017
14 posts
Canada

Travel from Toronto to Madison, WI

Anyone traveled from Toronto to Madison. I am alone driving and have a 11 month old dog as well. So was thinking if a 11 hour drive is indeed possible in a day.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3178 posts
816 upvotes
Vaughan
its possible, but wold definetly take more than 11 hours. I'm going to assume you got the 11 hour drive time, by using google or a gps, or another app. This does not account for things such as taking care of the baby (feeding, diaper changes, etc..). This also doesn't account for when you get hungry, washroom breaks, filling up gas, traffic at the border crossing, inclement weather, and other things that could arise.

My longest drive was to Tennesee from Vaughan. Gps said 12 hours. Took me 15 hours there, and about 14 hours on the way back. Part of the highway was shut down on the way there. It was also pouring rain when i left my house at 6am. I could barely see the road at the time. It was like this, for the first 2-3 hours of the drive.

Also don't forget, you need to feed the dog, give him water, and take him walks so he/she can use a washroom break as well.

Its probably doable, but don't expect to be there close to 11 hours. It'll take you quite a bit longer. Plus keep in mind. If you are not used to driving for long periods of time. You'll get tired. You don't want to be driving when you are tired. It puts yourself, your baby, and dog in danger.

If i were you. I would probably go about 2/3rds of the way, then find a cheap motel/hotel. Then drive the rest of the way there, the next day.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
[OP]
Mar 25, 2017
14 posts
Canada
I have gone till Chicago alone driving so I guess I can push another 3 hours to Madison but yes its different now with the dog. Would probably take a Motel as you suggested. Thanks
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3178 posts
816 upvotes
Vaughan
Lol, i just re-read your thread. Its a dog, not a baby. I thought it was an 11 month old baby, and dog, lol.

By all means, try to drive all the way there. If you feel tired, get a hotel/motel. Rest and drive safely.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16598 posts
5216 upvotes
London
It depends on how you time your crossing at the border and across Chicago.

If you avoid busy hours and rush hour, you'll be able to do it in one shot.

Don't forget you gain an hour of daylight crossing into Illinois/ Indiana

One trick posted is to get a NY ezpass transponder with a payg account for tolls. It's usable on ipass