Art and Photography

Travel tripod for A7iii + Sony 24-105mm

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2019 12:26 pm
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2017
112 posts
89 upvotes

Travel tripod for A7iii + Sony 24-105mm

Will be flying to the US next month with carry-on only. Looking for recommendations on a decent travel sized tripod that'll fit into a 40L Nomatic Travel bag, which is 53cm long.

It would have to support the weight of my A7iii + 24-105mm lens, which i believe is about 1.3kg
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3087 posts
741 upvotes
Vaughan
Maybe this Feisol Tripod.

https://www.feisol.net/tripods/feisol-t ... rapid.html

or if you budget is lower.

https://www.vistek.ca/store/423574/mefo ... d-titanium

This one is in Canadian dollars.

I haven't used either of these brands. Have heard good things about Feisol though.

What's your budget?

My recommendation, is to go to a Vistek or Henry's in person, and see what height works for you. Tripods come in all different heights. Also to note. Just keep in mind, that with the center column raised, it really reduces the stability. So when looking at height. Center column down height is always better than max center column height. I talk about a height, because you want a tripod is relatively high enough for you to use.

One last note, i haven't used either tripod mentioned above.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Newbie
Jun 15, 2015
96 posts
44 upvotes
Winnipeg,MB
Budget choice is manfrotto befree advanced otherwise gizto traveller . If you have time you can buy it in The states, it’s cheaper.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7724 posts
1603 upvotes
Budget but is still of quality and with a great warranty, if I may add.
wildmen wrote: Budget choice is manfrotto befree advanced otherwise gizto traveller . If you have time you can buy it in The states, it’s cheaper.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5102 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto
ki2017 wrote: Will be flying to the US next month with carry-on only. Looking for recommendations on a decent travel sized tripod that'll fit into a 40L Nomatic Travel bag, which is 53cm long.

It would have to support the weight of my A7iii + 24-105mm lens, which i believe is about 1.3kg
Budget?

And where are you going?

Sometimes places can determine if you need a tall tripod or one that can remove its column for low profile shots. Maybe even a removable monopod portion for tracking shots.

I prefer carbon fiber, so I picked up the Three Legged Thing Albert.

Folded length is 41 cm.

Max height is 1.89 meters, which helped me clear the crowds at Disney World for Fireworks every night.

Load capacity is 33lbs to 66 lbs depending on the angle of setup. It can easily handle the A7R3 + 70-200GM + 2X converter I use.

5 Year Warranty and the company is easy to get a hold of via e-mail or chat. They handle claims and issues with ease.

Some people had issues with their older, earlier tripods but the new line is really well made.

After my positive experience with Albert, I picked up Winston, their taller tripod but weighs less than their travel line and their recently released monopod, Alan. Plus all the various feet attachments and tripod clamps.

3 Legged Thing Albert

Albert weights more than others in the line since due to its height it uses weighted locks to support stability.

The Leo weights less but is shorter at max range but also a carbon fiber travel tripod.

You can order through Visions in Canada or Amazon/BH/Adorama/others in the US.

Also, if shooting landscapes/cityscapes/nightscapes I highly recommend you get a L bracket, so you can shoot in vertical/panorama (stitch) as it will be more balanced.
Last edited by rebel_rfd on Mar 30th, 2019 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2017
112 posts
89 upvotes
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm going to Yosemite. Going to be using the tripod for capturing waterfalls and hopefully some Milky Way shots if the skies are clear.

I have decided to take my regular tripod as I've heard you can just treat it as a carry-on by carrying it on your shoulder. Will see how it goes!

Didn't know Manfrotto makes tripods for Sony cameras, that Befree Advanced is reasonably priced, will consider it for future trips!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5102 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto
ki2017 wrote: Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I'm going to Yosemite. Going to be using the tripod for capturing waterfalls and hopefully some Milky Way shots if the skies are clear.

I have decided to take my regular tripod as I've heard you can just treat it as a carry-on by carrying it on your shoulder. Will see how it goes!

Didn't know Manfrotto makes tripods for Sony cameras, that Befree Advanced is reasonably priced, will consider it for future trips!
You need a faster lens for Astro. Do you have a 2.8 zoom or fast Prime?

I would also take NDs with me if you want to smooth out the waterfalls.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Sep 28, 2017
112 posts
89 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: You need a faster lens for Astro. Do you have a 2.8 zoom or fast Prime?

I would also take NDs with me if you want to smooth out the waterfalls.
I'll be using my Rokinon 2.0 12mm for astro and just purchased a 6-stop ND filter
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1893 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
Also consider a strong tripod head, because that is a front heavy setup.
Newbie
Nov 26, 2018
18 posts
1 upvote
Look into the Platypod Max. If you've already got a ballhead, then even better. I got the Ultra (smaller, for compact/mirrorless) and it's been great. Super versatile for travelling and takes up almost no space in your pack.

Top