• May 5th, 2018 1:06 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1910 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA West

Travel Underwear

I am always looking for functional travel clothes and ways to travel lighter.

I have never tried disposable underwear or adult "diapers". But I see a lot them showing up in stores now for seniors with incontinence etc. We carry daily underwear changes when we travel, since we don't like to do laundry in hotel sinks and have damp underwear the next day. I once tried those expensive Tilley ones but didn't like them.

Has anyone found good disposable underwear that is useful for travel? I am thinking that if you were able to gradually dispose of underwear during your trip, it would make the space available for new purchases to bring home.
29 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20173 posts
4728 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I think you are taking this 'extreme travel' thing too far.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6479 posts
1260 upvotes
I wear lace thongs. They take up very, very little space and dry super quick. Lace thongs FTW?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2668 posts
977 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I don't know what hotels you're booking but most of them do free laundry for me. Some might charge but for a small fee which is still worth it.
[solicitation removed]
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
187 upvotes
Damn I didn't know this was a thing. Cool idea and I would get a pack when travelling. I only question the comfort cuz if it gets itchy I'm going to regret leaving my comfy boxer briefs at home. *welp*
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7729 posts
1611 upvotes
We do combination of old ones, similar disposable ones to below and some "travel undie" from MEC as back up.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mens-Disposable-U ... th=1&psc=1

Option 1&3 are the best since they feel the most comfy and normal but nothing is as convenient as 2 since they pack small and you just throw them away everyday. If you don't want to do 1, 3 are quick dry and could be hand washed at nite and ready to go in the morning usually so two is all you may need for the whole trip.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2896 posts
300 upvotes
hdom wrote: We do combination of old ones, similar disposable ones to below and some "travel undie" from MEC as back up.

https://www.amazon.ca/Mens-Disposable-U ... th=1&psc=1

Option 1&3 are the best since they feel the most comfy and normal but nothing is as convenient as 2 since they pack small and you just throw them away everyday. If you don't want to do 1, 3 are quick dry and could be hand washed at nite and ready to go in the morning usually so two is all you may need for the whole trip.
I used the disposable undies from amazon recently for a 6 weeks vacation, and it worked perfectly. Daily wear and threw them away.
Would recommend them for any longish trip.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6479 posts
1260 upvotes
Why create more waste when there are other options?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
397 upvotes
commie wrote: Would recommend them for any longish trip.
But wouldn't a long-ish trip require you to do laundry at some point (for your other clothes)? Why not wash your underwear at the same time?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1910 posts
1421 upvotes
GTA West
NixxonExxo wrote: I don't know what hotels you're booking but most of them do free laundry for me. Some might charge but for a small fee which is still worth it.
LOL have you been staying in the hotel of Mom and Dad?

I don't think I have ever been in a hotel that does free laundry and the ones that do offer laundry services can be famously expensive!

However, the suite hotels typically have self-service machines and some are no-charge.
Jan 31, 2018
574 posts
585 upvotes
What you need a good deal on a Sherpa instead.
I like to stick to what has already proven to be comfortable & most hotels can arrange laundry.
If you are going with a new type of underwear, wear that a few weeks at home to make sure that they aren't so uncomfortable as to sour your travel experience.

On a tight budget? Swing buy a laundry or dry cleaner once or twice. during your trip. Or a self-service laundromat.
Or maybe find a clearance sale on undergarmets or possibly a thrift store and then literally treat them as disposable as you first suggested.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1443 posts
456 upvotes
I really don't see the point. It seems like unnecessary waste IMO. Underwear doesn't take up much space and it can dry quickly after washing if you buy the right material.

On a budget, I'd recommend Uniqlo Airism Boxer Briefs, which checks all the boxes.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
I either take all the old ones that need replacing anyways and get rid of them as I go along, or I do laundry, or drop it off at a laundry service.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2422 posts
992 upvotes
Toronto
How about those dry fit underwear? They sell some at Costco. I think the brand is Adidas. I'm sure Under Armour is good too but very expensive. It could be worth it though. Just bring like 6 with you and wash them daily. Hang them to dry somewhere in your room and they should be dry within a day.

Or, just buy lace thongs like the one RFD member.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jun 4, 2013
851 posts
280 upvotes
Vancouver
I travel mostly summer so for t shift I wear the one that's design for work out. Those T-shirt are thin and they dry quick (usually a few hours and they are dry) for underware again I wear the ones design for work out (under armor or addidas). They feel comfy enough and looks decent.
Feb 20, 2018
12 posts
5 upvotes
I usually bring the ones with major holes and rips in them and then just leave them behind when i'm done.
Jan 17, 2018
285 posts
206 upvotes
hoponpop wrote: Get some EXOFFICIO GIVE AND GO underpants. They can be worn under reasonable circumstances for up to 1 week without laundering and when you do wash them, they dry quickly. The can be found locally or online.

https://www.exofficio.com/give-n-go-spo ... ar#start=1
This brand is dead on. I use their Give and Go Boxers for traveling. VERY lightweight. You can wash them in the hotel sink and they will be completely dry by the morning. Also they are probably the most comfortable boxers I have bought. I seriously cannot recommend these enough.

If the price is too much, look at Amazon.com and other US stores. I bought 10 pairs last year for 50% off on Amazon.com which was a crazy good price.
Jan 30, 2013
57 posts
17 upvotes
I got half a dozen of Calvin Klein modal material brief boxers which I use primarily for travelling only. I would bring a bottle of laundry detergent. I don't know if there are many hotels actually will provide free laundry services, perhaps, I am always booking hotels via discount hotel sites.