• Jul 23rd, 2020 11:03 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto

Travel to US banned or restricted?

My fiancé is a US resident in Florida. Can she travel here to Canada or is that banned now? I check the Canada website and it says it's restricted but it's still your choice if you choose to travel for non-essential reasons.
208 replies
Aug 12, 2014
689 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Matryx wrote: My fiancé is a US resident in Florida. Can she travel here to Canada or is that banned now? I check the Canada website and it says it's restricted but it's still your choice if you choose to travel for non-essential reasons.
Foreign nationals arriving from the U.S. without symptoms of COVID-19, will be allowed to enter Canada only for essential travel.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ml#foreign

if she's Canadian, she can come back, but don't expect that she can travel back and forth, because non-essential travel is banned till May 21st and that might be extended.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Booty call = essential
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Matryx wrote: My fiancé is a US resident in Florida. Can she travel here to Canada or is that banned now?
I check the Canada website and it says it's restricted but it's still your choice if you choose to travel for non-essential reasons.
Resource / link please

Latest I have heard is the info that @wirespeed has provided

There may be some HUMANITARIAN exceptions for reuniting Foreign Nationals with Cdns (like a Married Couple etc) ... or yes maybe even a Fiancée... but it’s gonna be a choice of WHERE they need to be / reside ... vs the ability to come & go between the 2 countries ... so here as an extended stay ... vs a short visit

Of course, once here she’d be subject to all the required Cdn Laws for Foreign Visitors regarding length of stay ... visas / working etc
As well as the need now under the Quarantine Act to self isolate for 14 days immediately upon arrival

And then the current laws in place also about you & her maintaining that going forward as a “household unit” for social distancing purposes
(ie those that reside together can be within 6’ of each other ... but when with others they don’t reside with ... must be at least 6’ apart from the others)

Before you move forward on any of this ...

The first question I would be asking.

WHAT IF this continues to go on in Canada for a prolonged period of time ... and the Border is effectively closed
Our model is extremely different from the US model of handling Covid 19
We are being far more cautious
And opening things up is going to be a long slow process conducted prob in a more measured way

Can your Fiancée live with these restrictions.
What about her responsibilities back in Florida ... Job, Housing, Bills etc
Can she be absent for months vs weeks ?

Making this decision is not one to be taken lightly

Also ... what is her health insurance situation while in Canada
What would be the consequences OF ALL THAT ... if god forbid she got Covid 19 while abroad ?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19735 posts
28623 upvotes
Vancouver
Matryx wrote: My fiancé is a US resident in Florida. Can she travel here to Canada or is that banned now? I check the Canada website and it says it's restricted but it's still your choice if you choose to travel for non-essential reasons.
If she's a Canadian citizen or PR then she can come to Canada for any reason. She will need to self isolate for the required period.
PS your thread title and your original post are asking two different things...
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
3500 posts
211 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Resource / link please

Latest I have heard is the info that @wirespeed has provided

There may be some HUMANITARIAN exceptions for reuniting Foreign Nationals with Cdns (like a Married Couple etc) ... or yes maybe even a Fiancée... but it’s gonna be a choice of WHERE they need to be / reside ... vs the ability to come & go between the 2 countries ... so here as an extended stay ... vs a short visit

Of course, once here she’d be subject to all the required Cdn Laws for Foreign Visitors regarding length of stay ... visas / working etc
As well as the need now under the Quarantine Act to self isolate for 14 days immediately upon arrival

And then the current laws in place also about you & her maintaining that going forward as a “household unit” for social distancing purposes
(ie those that reside together can be within 6’ of each other ... but when with others they don’t reside with ... must be at least 6’ apart from the others)

Before you move forward on any of this ...

The first question I would be asking.

WHAT IF this continues to go on in Canada for a prolonged period of time ... and the Border is effectively closed
Our model is extremely different from the US model of handling Covid 19
We are being far more cautious
And opening things up is going to be a long slow process conducted prob in a more measured way

Can your Fiancée live with these restrictions.
What about her responsibilities back in Florida ... Job, Housing, Bills etc
Can she be absent for months vs weeks ?

Making this decision is not one to be taken lightly

Also ... what is her health insurance situation while in Canada
What would be the consequences OF ALL THAT ... if god forbid she got Covid 19 while abroad ?
Yes you're right. Concerns about her getting infected with Covid-19 and health insurance is something I'm concerned about. It isn't a decision I take lightly and as time passes...the more she needs me for emotional support.
Her store is closed and she doesn't have huge responsibilities. She wants to come see me but I told her no. I can only say no for so long as she just had some bad situation happen to her.

I wanted to confirm that the travel is banned and I'm not looking at this situation trying to find holes where we can be together. Looks like we will stay put until at least they banned is lifted.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Is sex with your fiance considered essential? ;)
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
All seriousness no she can not come to Canada unless she is a PR or citizen and has a residence here as there is a 14 day mandatory need to isolate at your residence. It is for essential travel only (workers, etc). Your fiance would still be under the category of family visit/tourism which is considered non essential and that is off limits right now
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
I'm not suggesting this, but is it an option for you to go visit her? Unless something has changed recently, the US have not been nearly as restrictive in allowing Canadians traveling to the US by plane. You'll have to do the research to confirm, but I understand that they are not allowing non-essential travel by land (same as Canada), but are less restrictive by air (unlike Canada). You could theoretically fly down, then come back and self-quarantine for 14 days (or stay down with her if you're working from home here). Not what I recommend, but you seem to be looking at options. I'm also not sure if you have any health coverage, etc so that same problem exists.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
dolfan1980 wrote: I'm not suggesting this, but is it an option for you to go visit her? Unless something has changed recently, the US have not been nearly as restrictive in allowing Canadians traveling to the US by plane. You'll have to do the research to confirm, but I understand that they are not allowing non-essential travel by land (same as Canada), but are less restrictive by air (unlike Canada). You could theoretically fly down, then come back and self-quarantine for 14 days (or stay down with her if you're working from home here). Not what I recommend, but you seem to be looking at options. I'm also not sure if you have any health coverage, etc so that same problem exists.
wtf are you talking about...friends of mine got denied getting on a plane from nyc to fla unless they could show residence or essential worker status...who is gonna let non status person into US???...by land or air?...btw AC stopped flying to US as of apr 26...

also asked about my own business...although essential..my workers are still subject to denial at border entering US (so that business is on hold) ..and coming back would still be subject to quarantine even being gone for 10 minutes I was told by CBSA
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
cardguy wrote: wtf are you talking about...friends of mine got denied getting on a plane from nyc to fla unless they could show residence or essential worker status...who is gonna let non status person into US???...by land or air?...btw AC stopped flying to US as of apr 26...

also asked about my own business...although essential..my workers are still subject to denial at border entering US (so that business is on hold) ..and coming back would still be subject to quarantine even being gone for 10 minutes I was told by CBSA
No idea about state specific restrictions, but as I mentioned, the US are only restricting land based travel including commuter rail and ferries, but not air per the q and a here:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restric ... act-sheet/

As I said, not recommending this, but passing on the facts.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5186 posts
1829 upvotes
Mississauga
Sorry, maybe a bit off topic. Has anyone with a TN visa flew to the states for work lately? If so, any hassle with customs at YYZ (or any other airport crossing)? I have a client that needs me to look at something that can be done 100x faster on site.
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
642 upvotes
dolfan1980 wrote: No idea about state specific restrictions, but as I mentioned, the US are only restricting land based travel including commuter rail and ferries, but not air per the q and a here:

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restric ... act-sheet/

As I said, not recommending this, but passing on the facts.
I read your link, you are reaching a metric century with that FAQ quote. The spirit of that line is to ensure supply chains can still cross the border as opposed to the original Trump statement that ALL TRAFFIC is halted. As was posted, airlines have been screening for travel reasons, thee is no "I'll just buy a ticket and go" across any border, at this time.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1605 posts
1366 upvotes
ritzcrv wrote: I read your link, you are reaching a metric century with that FAQ quote. The spirit of that line is to ensure supply chains can still cross the border as opposed to the original Trump statement that ALL TRAFFIC is halted. As was posted, airlines have been screening for travel reasons, thee is no "I'll just buy a ticket and go" across any border, at this time.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/covid- ... -1.5518191

As I said in my original post things may have changed, but here is an article also interpreting it the same way I am.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: wtf are you talking about...friends of mine got denied getting on a plane from nyc to fla unless they could show residence or essential worker status...who is gonna let non status person into US???...by land or air?...btw AC stopped flying to US as of apr 26...
ritzcrv wrote: I read your link, you are reaching a metric century with that FAQ quote. The spirit of that line is to ensure supply chains can still cross the border as opposed to the original Trump statement that ALL TRAFFIC is halted. As was posted, airlines have been screening for travel reasons, thee is no "I'll just buy a ticket and go" across any border, at this time.
Do you guys just make random things up without verifying them? As per the link posted above, you absolutely can fly into the US for non-essential reasons. It's only the land border that is closed.
Jun 13, 2018
922 posts
642 upvotes
gei wrote: Do you guys just make random things up without verifying them? As per the link posted above, you absolutely can fly into the US for non-essential reasons. It's only the land border that is closed.
Awesome, tourist travel is A O Kay. Thx for cleaning that small issue up
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
gei wrote: Do you guys just make random things up without verifying them? As per the link posted above, you absolutely can fly into the US for non-essential reasons. It's only the land border that is closed.
yea sure ...go pay for a flight..and let is know how your tourism entry goes...after the US customs an border guard refuse you if you get past the airline...dont forget to quote them what you read online..i am awaiting with popcorn
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
cardguy wrote: yea sure ...go pay for a flight..and let is know how your tourism entry goes...after the US customs an border guard refuse you if you get past the airline...dont forget to quote them what you read online..i am awaiting with popcorn
I wonder who in their right mind would want to travel to the US right now especially when they are lifting restrictions and the second wave will not be too far off.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
webworm wrote: I wonder who in their right mind would want to travel to the US right now especially when they are lifting restrictions and the second wave will not be too far off.
A lot of people I'm sure. As someone who works from home, I'm strongly considering flying down to a more open (and warmer) state to live a normal life and then return once Ontario loosens up.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
gei wrote: A lot of people I'm sure. As someone who works from home, I'm strongly considering flying down to a more open (and warmer) state to live a normal life and then return once Ontario loosens up.
There will be no normal life in the USA for quite some time. You have a President who sends mixed messages and wants everything opened up now with fans in the sports stadiums. Canada will have to stand their ground and keep our border closed later this month to all non essential traffic.