Travel to US banned or restricted?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2020 11:03 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9404 posts
5374 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I understand what you are saying but I look at it differently.
While you distrust, I look at it that they are pretty well forced into saying something before the media (social and otherwise, social being the worst spreader of bad info) says all sorts of false conjecture or rumour even if some official info is premature. There is so much confusion because of social media misinformation. As (scientific) information became available (which was almost daily and from all over the world), it was released and that only added to the confusion. The amount of misinformation actually validates your comment of thinking people are illiterate.
It is good you have a background in this (99% of the people do not) and you must know that information from authorities (of all levels) was provided as it came to them. I believe the "people in charge" do the best they can with what they have to disseminate to the public.
The news broadcasters have people with background too and it is often contradictory with each other so....the misinformation goes on. Who do you believe? Or want to believe? You need to get valid information from somewhere.
The travel issue (which is he subject) can only be resolved when authorities will allow it...some in some countries say now, other in other countries say later. Which experts are right or, are some just a little more cautious?
Your analysis is fair and I think you like to give people the benefit of the doubt which is admirable.

My issues lie in some of the information that is now coming out about what decisions were being made in the past and by whom. Also, we have learned that some of the information being given to us was intended to manipulate our behaviour because "it was for our own good" instead of just being straight up honest with us by saying what they did and didn't know or that we were being told to do something because someone in the political arena had failed in their own responsibilities but did not want to admit it. Some people during this crisis spoke with such authority that one listening would have no reason to doubt them or not trust them while other experts took a more cautious approach admitting that there information was limited and that their advice was really based on the best information they had at the time. In the end the truth comes out no matter how hard those in charge try to control it so I think that their reputations and legacy will wear the brunt or benefit of how they treated the public during the crisis well after the crisis has passed.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
choclover wrote: Your analysis is fair and I think you like to give people the benefit of the doubt which is admirable.

My issues lie in some of the information that is now coming out about what decisions were being made in the past and by whom. Also, we have learned that some of the information being given to us was intended to manipulate our behaviour because "it was for our own good" instead of just being straight up honest with us by saying what they did and didn't know or that we were being told to do something because someone in the political arena had failed in their own responsibilities but did not want to admit it. Some people during this crisis spoke with such authority that one listening would have no reason to doubt them or not trust them while other experts took a more cautious approach admitting that there information was limited and that their advice was really based on the best information they had at the time. In the end the truth comes out no matter how hard those in charge try to control it so I think that their reputations and legacy will wear the brunt or benefit of how they treated the public during the crisis well after the crisis has passed.
Gotcha.
I believe you are correct about the announcement made to change behavior. Were they right? Dunno. What if they did not make those announcements and let things go? How much worse could it have been? And, vice versa.
Thing is, hindsight has 20/20 vision and so often when looking back, we see errors or miscommunications or what seemed like bad advice when the intention was and is to be safe and not sorry.
Not that this is anything the same but back when we went from 1999 to 2000 there was the end of the earth scenarios or Y2K. Ting is, very little happens but there were those that said the billions spent was the reasons it went well and others said the billions spent was a waste of money. Who was right?
The who was right and who was wrong scenarios will be argued for a long time to come. :)
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2004
5603 posts
2005 upvotes
Toronto
FYI if you need to get in to the US and are denied entry flying in from Canada, you can always just fly to Mexico and then fly to the US from there. A friend of mine just did that yesterday with no issues (Canadian passport, non-essential travel).

He was already in Mexico, so I'm not saying he was denied entry to the US trying to fly in from Canada. I would still like to hear some experiences there.
May 8, 2015
460 posts
259 upvotes
East York, ON
Does anyone have information about the pedestrian walk to the US through the Rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls?
Is it open at all for people who still have a valid reason to go over?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Leasiderin wrote: Does anyone have information about the pedestrian walk to the US through the Rainbow bridge in Niagara Falls?
Is it open at all for people who still have a valid reason to go over?
What do you feel would be a "valid reason" to walk over to the US side? Tourism, shopping, etc are not valid reasons. Plus you'd still have 2 weeks of self-quarantine to deal with...

C
May 8, 2015
460 posts
259 upvotes
East York, ON
CNeufeld wrote: What do you feel would be a "valid reason" to walk over to the US side? Tourism, shopping, etc are not valid reasons. Plus you'd still have 2 weeks of self-quarantine to deal with...

C
My question was whether the pedestrian way is still open. Asked the US Border services in writing if they would admit or no.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Leasiderin wrote: My question was whether the pedestrian way is still open. Asked the US Border services in writing if they would admit or no.
I'm not sure a printed email (or were you just going to show your phone?) would be treated with validity by the border officers...
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Leasiderin wrote: My question was whether the pedestrian way is still open. Asked the US Border services in writing if they would admit or no.
FYI ... CBP probably won’t reply
And so far, you haven’t stated your purpose for the trip in this thread

CBP will make the judgement call at the border when you arrive / present yourself for admission

Then it’s up to you to make your case

As I understand it ... even with the US Border Authorities right now the “DEEMED ESSENTIAL” qualifiers are very small ... RFDers have reported being turned away for Weddings, Funerals, Sick Relatives etc (Work or School ... with proper documentation might be ok )

It’s only a week or so now since both countries agreed that families who are separated by the border could reunite ...
Here’s the Govt of Canada version of that agreement = https://www.canada.ca/en/border-service ... dents.html

So if it ain’t work, school, or family reunification ... your chances remain slim to none for now
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Like most border-related things, it's ultimately up to the border agent. You're not "entitled" to a right of entry to a country that is not your own.

So far, I've seen that the US air border is not closed to Canadians (but there are restrictions on specific inbound countries such as China).

CBC ran an article earlier this month about it: Canadians can still travel to the U.S. during the COVID-19 pandemic — just not by car
May 8, 2015
460 posts
259 upvotes
East York, ON
Tried those webcams a while ago, they don't seem to work...
The purpose, background of the USBC documents (which are a bit different than the Canadian ones) are described in the written request to the US side. Will see what they write back.
Sure I am aware that the admission to the US is still discretional. I guess in the worst case, the pedestrian will just not be admitted to the US and will have to turn back to Canada with full anti-covid gear on :)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2926 posts
1499 upvotes
We will need to keep the border closed for a while with zero leadership in the white house and a single day record yesterday of just under 40,000 new COVID cases in the US. The CDC also warns that the real number of cases is probably 10 times higher than the reported number of cases.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10125 posts
10230 upvotes
Even very red states like Texas is shutting down again with the significant increase in hospitalization and cases in many states . I don't think the border will reopen next month
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
StatsGuy wrote: Even very red states like Texas is shutting down again with the significant increase in hospitalization and cases in many states . I don't think the border will reopen next month
Ya, lots of US States / Major Cities are now reevaluating ... Texas / Houston - Florida / Miami - Arizona - California

In light of the numbers coming in this week ... 30,000 - 40,000 Cases per day US wide and growing

There’s some states seeing increases of close to 10,000 Cases a day in those figures

This is basically the predicted delay bulge after Memorial Day Weekend ... and all the Phase 3 (too early) Openings that took place 3 weeks ago

Many cities may have to rethink / roll back ... cuz they are reporting even now that their hospitals ... and ICUs, and ventilator capacity is quickly becoming overwhelmed with 85% AND ABOVE capacity already

And this time ... it ain’t all OLD People

The greatest growth of new cases has been in people under 50

Maybe not as many percentage wise go onto Hospitalization / ICU Care ... but it’s a case of shear numbers ... so many that the system is overwhelmed

I honestly think it will be a long time before we see our common border reopen for free flow of our citizens between the two countries

And quite frankly ... in light of the statistics ... I am ok with that
Mar 25, 2010
252 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
My TN Visa expires early next month, I haven't traveled to the US since this started, but have lots of work starting mid July. Going to try and reapply next week at the windsor boarder. Should I still be apply to receive it? Applying under job title Computer Systems Analyst.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: What do you feel would be a "valid reason" to walk over to the US side? Tourism, shopping, etc are not valid reasons. Plus you'd still have 2 weeks of self-quarantine to deal with...
So far the quarantine order has not been extended, it expires at 1 minute after midnight on Tuesday June 30. My wife is a dual citizen so if the order isn't extended she will go across on Canada Day. USA will not deny entry to its own citizens, and neither will Canada, so the only sticking point was the damn 2 week house arrest on return.

Hoping for no further extensions to the closure so I can get across in late July (I'm not a US citizen so I would be denied entry).
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: So far the quarantine order has not been extended, it expires at 1 minute after midnight on Tuesday June 30. My wife is a dual citizen so if the order isn't extended she will go across on Canada Day. USA will not deny entry to its own citizens, and neither will Canada, so the only sticking point was the damn 2 week house arrest on return.

Hoping for no further extensions to the closure so I can get across in late July (I'm not a US citizen so I would be denied entry).
Extended to July 10

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-exte ... -1.5002574
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4409 upvotes
Wrong order. I'm talking about the 14-day quarantine order which is federal, not provincial.

This one: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/att ... 66&lang=en

Anybody who enters Canada must quarantine 14 days. If you arrive with symptoms, you must isolate for 14 days. Unless you arrive after midnight June 30...
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Wrong order. I'm talking about the 14-day quarantine order which is federal, not provincial.

This one: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/att ... 66&lang=en

Anybody who enters Canada must quarantine 14 days. If you arrive with symptoms, you must isolate for 14 days.
Ahhh, my bad.

So hopefully works for you.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.