Travel to USA and incoming text messages cost

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2017 4:43 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1341 posts
81 upvotes

Travel to USA and incoming text messages cost

I am going to the states for a few days and was wondering if there are any charges for incoming text messages. I recall that there wasn't any in the past but recently read that it is now .25 cents per text received. When did this change? I do not plan on using the phone while there but need to keep it on for emergencies. My text in canada includes incoming messages. Thx.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If your plan in Canada includes free incoming SMS, then it includes free incoming SMS in the US.
In the past TELUS/Bell and their sub brands used to charge for incoming SMS outside Canada, but they changed it to align with Rogers (free incoming SMS anywhere in the world -- if you have a text messaging plan in Canada).
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1341 posts
81 upvotes
I am confused because I read this on the rogers forum section and in rogers chat they confirmed it. But a friend says otherwise. And last year I did not get charged.

"Hi @rjmatheson,

Welcome to the Community!

It's a good idea to clarify before seeing any unexpected charges on the invoice. The incoming text messages included in a plan are only valid in Canada. There is a 25¢ charge per received text/picture message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on.

For more information on roaming outside of Canada, please visit here.

Hope this helps.

RogersZia"
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
mobifree wrote: In the past TELUS/Bell and their sub brands used to charge for incoming SMS outside Canada, but they changed it to align with Rogers (free incoming SMS anywhere in the world -- if you have a text messaging plan in Canada).
Does it apply to Fido (with a text plan, non Pulse)?
Any info?
I know Chatr does not charge incoming sms anywhere.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1341 posts
81 upvotes
I just called Rogers to confirm and was told that there is a 25c charge for all text messages received unless I get the roam like home at 5.00. Also, they said if I am enrolled in roam like home and even if I am not using it and I reply to a text message I am automatically charged 5.00 and not the standard 75c. A way out of this is to opt out of roam like home. Lastly, they said that if someone calls me and I swipe the phone to not answer they will charge me the 5.00. So basically let it ring and go to voice mail.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
boneca wrote: I just called Rogers to confirm and was told that there is a 25c charge for all text messages received unless I get the roam like home at 5.00. Also, they said if I am enrolled in roam like home and even if I am not using it and I reply to a text message I am automatically charged 5.00 and not the standard 75c. A way out of this is to opt out of roam like home. Lastly, they said that if someone calls me and I swipe the phone to not answer they will charge me the 5.00. So basically let it ring and go to voice mail.
(i)Wow that is spectacularly Rogers
Oh man.....
(ii)I am thinking aloud to work around the issue.
Say you can leave your phone in Canada (or not even hooked up) and have all calls forwarded to your home (VOIP) phone. Now all the calls will go your VM which will be in an email directed to you (while in the US). And now data is king and you can get your email/VM right away. So you can just call back.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
boneca wrote: I just called Rogers to confirm and was told that there is a 25c charge for all text messages received unless I get the roam like home at 5.00. Also, they said if I am enrolled in roam like home and even if I am not using it and I reply to a text message I am automatically charged 5.00 and not the standard 75c. A way out of this is to opt out of roam like home. Lastly, they said that if someone calls me and I swipe the phone to not answer they will charge me the 5.00. So basically let it ring and go to voice mail.
I'm pretty confident the you spoke to is misinformed.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ne ... d-p/332140

Check the answer in blue.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
There is a 25¢ charge per received text/picture message without a roaming or domestic text plan or add-on.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1341 posts
81 upvotes
I explained my situation to them and that is what they said.

This is how I understand the quote...please tell me if I am wrong. "Without a roaming"...I don't plan on using roaming. "Or domestic text"....I won't be in Canada and won't have a domestic plan is the states. So to me this means that I will get charged. Am I wrong? Either way I guess I will find out soon.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
I would call back again and confirm with Rogers... The one downside with the link that Mobifree posted is its a year old and we know a year is a lifetime in this world
Im not saying he is right or wrong.. I would personally call them again and talk to someone else
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1341 posts
81 upvotes
Ok I just called back and this time got another story. The correct one I assume. There is NO charge for incoming text messages. No clue what the other person was thinking lol

Also, I was under the impression that roam like home was calculated per day but he said no it's on a 24hr basis. So if I use it at 10 at night then it is good until the next day 10 at night (hope he was right about this haha)

Thanks all.