Travel

I need a route guide to travel from Kitchener, ON to Estevan, SK

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 5th, 2020 2:53 pm
[OP]
Feb 23, 2020
0 posts

I need a route guide to travel from Kitchener, ON to Estevan, SK

So, i need guide to travel by car (civic 2019) from kitchener to estevan (Saskatchewan). I never drove that much km but only to save 1500 dollars to move car. Anyone drove that route ? I need route guide including halts? Things to keep in mind to avoid sickness?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1241 posts
2258 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
If you have a smartphone, download the WAZE app. It will help you greatly though you do need mobile data.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
CorS78015 wrote: So, i need guide to travel by car (civic 2019) from kitchener to estevan (Saskatchewan). I never drove that much km but only to save 1500 dollars to move car. Anyone drove that route ? I need route guide including halts? Things to keep in mind to avoid sickness?
And I'd say Google Maps and Waze are gradually merging to be one and the same given that Google owns both of them.

Running Google Maps now, looks like the best way to get there is through the USA (definitely better roads and better/more frequent services on the route for stops). The more northern route (on US 2) is 100 km shorter and avoids Chicago (and its tolls) and Minneapolis but much of that is not on freeways. Since it seems you want (in)frequent rest stops the Chicago way might be best.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2629 posts
3763 upvotes
I'd gladly pay $1500 not to do that drive.
Feb 26, 2011
212 posts
124 upvotes
Scarborough
Going via US or Canada only?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2017
1065 posts
821 upvotes
erniefu wrote: Going via US or Canada only?
If you’re taking advice, go the US route. Cheaper gas and you avoid the long Northern Ontario drive.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15885 posts
21655 upvotes
Vancouver
If you're doing it in summer, make a vacation out of it and stay in Canada. Every Canadian should do this at least once in their lives; go north through Sudbury/Wawa/Thunder Bay. Get off the Trans-Canada in Winnipeg and take MB 2 / SK 13, much more relaxed and interesting driving than Hwy 1, and 100km/h speed limit compared to the TCH's 110km/h is plenty fast enough.

If you're doing it this time of year I wouldn't even consider doing the above, go through the US. Detroit/Chicago/Minneapolis instead.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Kiraly wrote: If you're doing it in summer, make a vacation out of it and stay in Canada. Every Canadian should do this at least once in their lives; go north through Sudbury/Wawa/Thunder Bay. Get off the Trans-Canada in Winnipeg and take MB 2 / SK 13, much more relaxed and interesting driving than Hwy 1, and 100km/h speed limit compared to the TCH's 110km/h is plenty fast enough.

If you're doing it this time of year I wouldn't even consider doing the above, go through the US. Detroit/Chicago/Minneapolis instead.
Driving from Kitchener up through Northern Ontario is not even close to being a vacation LOL.
Go the American route.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23600 posts
22553 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: If you're doing it in summer, make a vacation out of it and stay in Canada. Every Canadian should do this at least once in their lives; go north through Sudbury/Wawa/Thunder Bay. Get off the Trans-Canada in Winnipeg and take MB 2 / SK 13, much more relaxed and interesting driving than Hwy 1, and 100km/h speed limit compared to the TCH's 110km/h is plenty fast enough.

This

The good old T-CAN

IMO ... EVERY CDN should indeed do it once (Lol , one way)

Not summer ... or return ... definitely give one of the many possible US Routes a go

I-94 = Fargo - Minneapolis - Milwaukee - Chicago - Detroit / Windsor
I-90 = Sioux Falls - then across to Green Bay - and thru the Peninsula to The Soo / The Sault
Or
Head for Duluth - to the Peninsula - before driving thru Michigan’s “Mitt” - Crossing back at Sarnia

But if it’s winter ... watch for weather
Cuz they get major snow out that way too
And lots of Lake Effect mess
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8618 posts
2382 upvotes
Mississauga
CorS78015 wrote: So, i need guide to travel by car (civic 2019) from kitchener to estevan (Saskatchewan). I never drove that much km but only to save 1500 dollars to move car. Anyone drove that route ? I need route guide including halts? Things to keep in mind to avoid sickness?
Have you calculated the savings by driving? I think once you deduct gas, food, lodging. wear and tear and time I would just ship the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4394 upvotes
Just throwing this out there... if you're a CAA member and want the old-school solution, go into your local office, discuss your travel plans (and objectives -- any side trips/stopovers you want to include, want to see Canada rather than USA, whatever) and they can make a TripTik map book for you. They probably just use the same app on their website but hey, you paid for the membership let them do the dirty work (along with eating the costs of paper, color toner, and binding).

In the old days (before Google Maps/Mapquest/etc) the CAA staff had to build your custom map book for you by hand (collecting the pages they need, spiral or cerlox bind them, mark off your route with a highlighter, then pull out a rubber stamp to mark where the construction zones are...) You were getting your membership fee's worth for that!