• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2021 11:14 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2018
113 posts
136 upvotes
Mexico

Traveling to Canada with a non-Canadian spouse and child

I'm a Canadian citizen living in Mexico and my wife and newborn are Mexican citizens. We will be visiting Canada this year and I'm wondering if they would be admissible with the current restrictions?

Furthermore, does anyone know how immigration works when entering the country with a non-Canadian spouse and children? Would we need to separate into the different lines or can we enter together as a family in the same line?

Ideally I'd prefer we all enter using the Canadian citizen line since it's faster. I've seen the immigrant/tourist line have really long queues and would obviously prefer avoiding it.

Otherwise, I will have to see if it's possible to get Canadian PR for my wife even though we have no desire to live in Canada.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1024 posts
330 upvotes
louisvz wrote: I'm a Canadian citizen living in Mexico and my wife and newborn are Mexican citizens. We will be visiting Canada this year and I'm wondering if they would be admissible with the current restrictions?

Furthermore, does anyone know how immigration works when entering the country with a non-Canadian spouse and children? Would we need to separate into the different lines or can we enter together as a family in the same line?

Ideally I'd prefer we all enter using the Canadian citizen line since it's faster. I've seen the immigrant/tourist line have really long queues and would obviously prefer avoiding it.

Otherwise, I will have to see if it's possible to get Canadian PR for my wife even though we have no desire to live in Canada.
I'm not sure if you will get reliable responses here. Maybe try the Canadian immigration forum here: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immig ... ion-board/
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
6315 posts
2421 upvotes
Ottawa
I'd be very curious to know what you find out but from my understanding, it is still quite difficult for the non-Canadian spouse and children of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident to enter Canada. I believe it is possible but as far as I've heard, it takes several months.

Actually, looking here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave ... ons/family, it appears that you do not need written permission to be exempt from the travel restrictions so it might be much easier. (I believe they might still need TRV and eTA)

(https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informati ... s/visa.asp)
(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... a/eta.html - not sure if Mexicans need it)

Unfortunately, looking here (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-re ... times.html), it would appears that a Visitor visa (TRV (Temporary Resident Visa (i.e. visitor)) takes 315 days and a Family Sponsorship (PR) takes 12 months.

Note that I'm not an expert so it's possible you don't need the TRV but I thought they did.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7047 posts
1383 upvotes
Scarborough
1. Apply to sponsor your wife for Permanent Residency of Canada.
2. If you were a Canadian when your son is born abroad, he may be Canadian (due to father), again check and apply for his citizenship certificate(proof) and maybe limited validity passport. Check IRCC website for all details and application/process etc

3. Canada has lockdown, stay away until it's reopened in some ways. It's a pain to buy kids stuff there man. Can't buy clothes or shoes in person for kids, in Mexico is easier ......stay away this year and next, since there seems no plan in Ontario to lift lockdowns or shutdowns
[OP]
Jun 6, 2018
113 posts
136 upvotes
Mexico
michelb wrote: I'd be very curious to know what you find out but from my understanding, it is still quite difficult for the non-Canadian spouse and children of a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident to enter Canada. I believe it is possible but as far as I've heard, it takes several months.
I ended up calling Canada Border Services and they told me that my spouse and child can enter Canada with the current restrictions as long as we bring a marriage certificate and the child's birth certificate. We would stay together during the entry and immigration process according to the agent. They couldn't tell me if we would have to join separate lines in the future when things are back to normal.
michelb wrote: Note that I'm not an expert so it's possible you don't need the TRV but I thought they did.
Since 2016, Mexican citizens no longer need a visa to enter Canada and only require an eTA.
apnayloags wrote: 1. Apply to sponsor your wife for Permanent Residency of Canada.
2. If you were a Canadian when your son is born abroad, he may be Canadian (due to father), again check and apply for his citizenship certificate(proof) and maybe limited validity passport. Check IRCC website for all details and application/process etc
3. Canada has lockdown, stay away until it's reopened in some ways. It's a pain to buy kids stuff there man. Can't buy clothes or shoes in person for kids, in Mexico is easier ......stay away this year and next, since there seems no plan in Ontario to lift lockdowns or shutdowns
1. I'm looking into that now. Canadian PR would make trips to Canada and the US a lot smoother.
2. I'm a Canadian citizen so my child will be Canadian as well. I'm definitely going to apply for her citizenship when possible.
3. We're planning to come for a few days near the end of the year. Hopefully things are more relaxed by then. If not, then we can wait.