Traveling to Japan, never traveled before

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2020 3:04 pm
[OP]
Apr 17, 2016
19 posts
10 upvotes

Traveling to Japan, never traveled before

I never traveled before, and I'm curious what peoples recommendation is for money. do i bring it cash? get a travel CC? i have no idea and was wondering if anyone had some insight. Thanks
26 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18185 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Watch these:

Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
[OP]
Apr 17, 2016
19 posts
10 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: Watch these:

holy crap thanks! i should have thought of this first, but i appreciate the help!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8374 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
Rurrutia wrote: I never traveled before, and I'm curious what peoples recommendation is for money. do i bring it cash? get a travel CC? i have no idea and was wondering if anyone had some insight. Thanks
Pretty ambitious for your first trip.

Always have some cash with you in the country you are landing in. You never know what you will need cash for but you will need cash. Also have at least 2 credit cards in case one doesent work. Good luck and have a safe trip.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
6994 posts
7382 upvotes
Vancouver
Rurrutia wrote: I never traveled before, and I'm curious what peoples recommendation is for money. do i bring it cash? get a travel CC? i have no idea and was wondering if anyone had some insight. Thanks
Credit cards for foreign spending: list-credit-cards-foreign-currency-purchases-2122295/

Every Canadian traveler should have a STACK prepaid mastercard. It is by far the best way to get cash at foreign ATMs. You get Mastercard's daily exchange rate which is typically ~0.2% above mid-market, and no ATM fee other than the ATM operator's fee. Most Japanese ATMs have no fee, the ones at 7-Eleven definitely don't.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19504 posts
4651 upvotes
Thornhill
I just went to a 7/11, Lawson, or whatever konbini/convenience store to grab cash when needed, a few hundred at a time. I found the rates better then when I got the cash before I left on the trip.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12371 posts
7248 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
You're in Japan now?
coriolis wrote: I just went to a 7/11, Lawson, or whatever konbini/convenience store to grab cash when needed, a few hundred at a time. I found the rates better then when I got the cash before I left on the trip.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8372 posts
2337 upvotes
Mississauga
Bring some yen enough to last you a few days at least.
And get a Stack no fx fee MasterCard. Preload the MasterCard with enough cash that you think you'll need and you can withdrawal at 711 or use it as a regular credit card.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12638 posts
5777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Japan is pretty much a cash-based society especially for smaller everyday purchases (ie meals/snacks, gifts) so don't expect that you can use any credit cards for your smaller purchases.

Also, before going nuts on the ATM route, check how much your bank will charge you for an overseas ATM withdraw as many of them have hefty fees especially if those types of ATM withdraws aren't covered by your banking fee plan.
Aug 12, 2014
147 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON
cash is king. There are still a lot of places that don't accept plastic in japan even in Tokyo.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8372 posts
2337 upvotes
Mississauga
craftsman wrote: Japan is pretty much a cash-based society especially for smaller everyday purchases (ie meals/snacks, gifts) so don't expect that you can use any credit cards for your smaller purchases.

Also, before going nuts on the ATM route, check how much your bank will charge you for an overseas ATM withdraw as many of them have hefty fees especially if those types of ATM withdraws aren't covered by your banking fee plan.
That's why it's good to get the Stack MasterCard. No bank withdrawal fees.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1655 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for stack. My go to for cash overseas with no ATM fees and near market rates. Also be aware that you will likely want to get a Suica or Passmo card (or local variation in other cities) for transit. You cannot load them with a credit card, so first need to get cash.

There’s tons of 7-11 ATMs at the arrivals level, but recommend having a bit of local currency (¥2-5k) just in case. Many bank’s ATMs don’t work with foreign cards, so best to stick with 7-11. Most people don’t have any problems with them. You are never far from a 7-11 anyway.
Last edited by wysiwyg on Feb 14th, 2020 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celebrating 17+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4259 posts
569 upvotes
Scarborough
I got cash here. Not a lot. Most large restaurants and shopping malls take credit card in major cities. I load most of my cash in the Pasimo card to avoid holding coins, but you should have cash with you at all times.

It might be cheaper to find an ATM in Japan, but I would not want to wander around the airport looking for cash and ATM. I prefer to be ready to go the moment the plane touches the runway.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1183 posts
277 upvotes
get an IC card (there are basically 8-9 different regional IC cards, but essentially they've all amalgamated into one system so you can use a Suica or Pasmo card pretty much anywhere in Japan is the short version of it). it's indispensable in Japan. it basically figures out all the costs of navigating the transit system for you (transfers between different subway lines in Tokyo, for example, can be a headache if you're paying in cash) so you don't have to calculate it yourself.

the annoying thing is that the only way to (re)load it is with cash at the machines (available in pretty much every subway station in Japan). kinda backwards to not allow charging IC cards with credit, but apparently credit is not prevalent in Japan.

cash is a must. the only places where I would fully expect to be able to pay in credit are department stores or chain electronic stores (bic camera, yodobashi camera, etc). restaurants are pretty iffy. I find it's been 50/50 of the restaurants I hit up in Japan as to whether or not they accepted credit.

I wouldn't worry excessively about navigation. all signs in train stations have english. you'll have no trouble. google maps works fantastic in Japan.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
12638 posts
5777 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Speaking of transportation, depending where you want to go in Japan (unless you want to stay just in some place like Tokyo), a JR Rail tourist pass is a great deal to move between cities or even day trips out of cities within Japan. You can only buy the pass outside of Japan as it's meant for foreign tourist only.