Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9266 posts
5094 upvotes

Traveling to New Orleans - late July

I am planning a trip to New Orleans late July for 4-6 days and am curious if anyone has any recommendations or advice on what to do, what not to do, etc. while visiting. I've never been to that part of the U.S. before and welcome any useful information you might have. Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2015
1032 posts
232 upvotes
Fort Mac, AB/Lambton…
Visit one of the old cemeteries, hang out in the French Quarter (LOTS of cool restaurants, shops, little museums), stroll around the Garden District, take a steamboat cruise. If you have access to a car, consider venturing out to Biloxi (MS) and the Mississippi River Delta.

It will be deadly humid at that time of year.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
2417 posts
1064 upvotes
GTA
Air boats in the swamp. It was cool and the guy brought a small gator onto the boat for some close up pics.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1099 posts
419 upvotes
Toronto
It'll be really hot.

Eat lots of crawfish. They are like little lobsters. A specialties in that area.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
3088 posts
558 upvotes
Echo the it'll be really hot and humid.

By July, live crawfish will be out of season, so you won't be able to try out their amazing crawfish boil. But you can still order the fried crawfish, and crawfish etoufee.

As for things to do, depending on your age and preferences. If you are into the partying thing, everyday is mardi gras in New Orleans. walking along Bourbon street and surronding areas of the French Quarters is a scene to behold.

On the quieter side of things, take an airboat tour of the swamps. We used Cajun Encounters for the tour. They will pick you up at the hotel. But if you have your own car, you can drive directly to the boat launch area, and the price is half price for just the airboat ride without hotel transfers.
Also do visit one of the nearby plantations. The one i like is called Houmas, very nice historic buildings and grounds.

Lastly, enjoy the food in Nola. Its one of the great things to do in the area, just sample all the cajun and creole food.
Apr 10, 2003
230 posts
129 upvotes
Ottawa
make reservations for Commanders Place and tour the cemetery in the daytime around the restaurant
check out Davenport at the Ritz
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5107 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Op, how was your trip?

Thinking of going to NOLA for our first time.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9120 posts
3012 upvotes
Mississauga
I came back from NOLA last week. Very hot and humid this time of year. Did a lot of walking anyway.Enjoyed Garden District more than French Quarter. The best street performer I saw was a Pavarotti imitator who had the street corner blocked off for him, and he was amazing. Saw a traditional New Orleans wedding marching down the Quarter.

We bought a Groupon for the swamp tour for $12 for two people. Was quite fun. Rented a car for the day to get to the swamp tour as a way to save a lot of money.

We had great meals at Royal Oyster House, Ruby Slippers Cafe and Jimmy Js. And of course beignets at Cafe du Monde.

We found a great deal thru Hotwire staying at Hilton. $90 a night (70 us).
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
5107 posts
840 upvotes
Toronto
Should have said... our plan is to go around X'mas time... to avoid the heat.
h2o- a.k.a. 阿水 (Ah Sui)

Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1323 posts
83 upvotes
I'm currently in NOLA and it's still hot and humid. There is lots to see and do and while bourbon street is happening I prefer Frenchman street....less tourists and better music. Visiting the plantations in Vacherie is a must and the architecture in the garden district is beautiful. There are lots of restaurants to choose from in the FQ and most are good.
Jul 23, 2014
241 posts
235 upvotes
Outaouais
The National World War 2 museum is really amazing!!

And i think it's free after a certain hour too (true RFD spirit!) - needs to be confirmed though cos their website doesn't mention it!. It was in 2009 when i went there!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)