Traveling from Ontario to BC - Cell Phone

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 1:07 pm
[OP]
Mar 27, 2021
40 posts
19 upvotes

Traveling from Ontario to BC - Cell Phone

In a couple of months I will be traveling to British Columbia for about 10 days and am wondering what is the recommended thing to do in terms of cell phones.
I am on a Rogers plan here in Ontario with Data, SMS, Calling and LD for my main phone, but I also have an unlocked phone for which I could buy a SIM card for.
Should I take my main phone or find a Prepaid SIM for my unlocked phone? Not sure what the costs would be for either.

Wondering what people are doing these days for cell phones when going out west.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2006
2333 posts
476 upvotes
Торонто
if your plan is Canada wide, you should be fine to use it in any province without any additional fees. ive never been charged when travelling from Ontario to bc (canada wide plan)
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4682 posts
2095 upvotes
Durham Region
Your data and sms should work just fine in BC without additional charges. If your plan includes Canada long distance, no additional charges for calls either.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10359 posts
3558 upvotes
Rogers is the weaker network out west as an FYI won’t matter in Vancouver or other major cities. However if you’re around the mountains. Watch your friends bell/Telus phone work and Rogers not.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18643 posts
6033 upvotes
London
Rogers phones can jump onto the Bell/Telus network in areas with poor Rogers coverage. It shows up as Rogers-EXT or Fido-EXT

No additional cost, already part of your plan
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10359 posts
3558 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Rogers phones can jump onto the Bell/Telus network in areas with poor Rogers coverage. It shows up as Rogers-EXT or Fido-EXT

No additional cost, already part of your plan
Interesting my iphone12 did not do this. Maybe I’ll try fiddling with network settings next time. I guess I had signal where the bell/Telus phone did but the speed was abhorrent. Couldn’t queue a Spotify song.

I’m also on a work issued corporate plan and don’t have 5G access for some reason not that there is remote 5G anyways

Edit. Read more into this and you need to have data roaming turned on. I have it off as I get close to USA border often. Next time I’m north I’ll give it a go. Thank you!
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)