Travel

Travelling to Cuba, which adapter do I need for a phone charger?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2018 9:34 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10725 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto

Travelling to Cuba, which adapter do I need for a phone charger?

Leaving for Cuba on Jan 6th.

Just remembered that I am probably going to need an adapter for the phone charger.

Does anyone here know which type I need?
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jan 2nd, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2010
3359 posts
1261 upvotes
Brampton
your current charger is good as is
nada
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10725 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
dredd2099 wrote: your current charger is good as is
Yea? I’m seeing mixed opinions via google search some say it should be fine others say I’ll need an adapter.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4518 posts
4042 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Yea? I’m seeing mixed opinions via google search some say it should be fine others say I’ll need an adapter.
Seems a lot of places in Cuba use 220 as per this:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g1472 ... icity.html

Look at the fine print on the wall-wart (for a phone charger or electric shaver)/transformer box (for a notebook computer). Nowadays the VAST majority of them will be marked "100-240V 50-60Hz". If yours is, then all you'll need is a cheap plug adapter, not a voltage converter as the transformer will automatically adjust for 220V in Cuba (or wherever). Better safe than sorry, carry a plug adapter in case your hotel has the Euro 2-pins rather than the American flat blades.

If your device is marked for 120V only then you'll need to seek out a 120V outlet (some hotels put that in the bathroom for use with cheaper shavers) or use a voltage converter.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10725 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote: Seems a lot of places in Cuba use 220 as per this:
https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g1472 ... icity.html

Look at the fine print on the wall-wart (for a phone charger or electric shaver)/transformer box (for a notebook computer). Nowadays the VAST majority of them will be marked "100-240V 50-60Hz". If yours is, then all you'll need is a cheap plug adapter, not a voltage converter as the transformer will automatically adjust for 220V in Cuba (or wherever). Better safe than sorry, carry a plug adapter in case your hotel has the Euro 2-pins rather than the American flat blades.

If your device is marked for 120V only then you'll need to seek out a 120V outlet (some hotels put that in the bathroom for use with cheaper shavers) or use a voltage converter.
iPhone charging block states 100V-240V.

So all I need is the adapter for the wall outlet itself then?

Thanks. Will check wal-mart for one of these then.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1280 posts
514 upvotes
XtremeModder wrote: Leaving for Cuba on Jan 6th.

Just remembered that I am probably going to need an adapter for the phone charger.

Does anyone here know which type I need?
1. many hotels have 110V with North-American plug.
More stars -- more chances to have it.
Ask travel agent or even better ask the hotel directly by email.

2. If your device is 100-230V and If no 110V outlet -- you need "geometry adapter" --
it does not change voltage, just adapt our parallel blades
to their holes:
https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Most-Eur ... ug+adapter
https://www.amazon.com/Inovat-American- ... QYK2C4EW0A

3. if your device is only 110 and no 110V outlet:
you need real voltage transformer or wave-cutter.
Looks like it is not your case so I will not elaborate.

Hola,
A.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
4518 posts
4042 upvotes
tequilla wrote: 3. if your device is only 110 and no 110V outlet:
you need real voltage transformer or wave-cutter.
Looks like it is not your case so I will not elaborate.
Where people run into trouble the most is when they try to bring their own hairdryers, many of which are rated for 120V only (as I've read elsewhere). If you travel a lot and need a hairdryer, buy a compact 220V model for travel use (or stay at hotels which have hairdryers in the bathroom). I also recall some electric shavers having 120V wall-warts (my old Remington corded was this way), while newer/better models have the 100-240V type, like my current and previous Braun rechargeables.
Friendly reminder #1: Kraprig cannot properly brew coffee. Get a Nespresso or a French press. You can thank me later.
Friendly reminder #2: Price matching is NOT the law. Never was, never will be. Nobody can stop you from shopping elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26994 posts
6333 upvotes
Hamilton
Just charge it in the washroom
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10073 posts
2664 upvotes
mine worked in cuba, so did my wifes, the iPhone and Samsung chargers were both 110 and 220 compatible, we stated at valentine perla blanca in cayo santa maria.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8424 posts
1324 upvotes
Vancouver
I think you'll find north American style plugs. However a good tip might be to look at tripadvisor pictures from other travellers who visited your resort, keep an eye out for anything with an outlet in the background.

You should be able to notice the euro 2 plug vs the typical north American style.
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)