• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2016 8:55 pm
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
5 posts

Travelling on EI

Hi,

I am on sickness benefit from EI and I am going to be travelling to the U.S. for a few days. I understand that I have to report my absence from Canada and will not be paid for those days that I am out of the country.

For clarification, I will lose those few days but I don't lose benefits completely do I?

Thanks for your help.
8 replies
May 5, 2009
617 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
They will deduct the number of days you are gone, you will not lose benefits completely.
Jun 19, 2015
993 posts
1052 upvotes
Correct, you will lose the pay for the specific days you tell them you are gone, but not the whole claim/benefit. It's best to be honest about which days you are gone as well :P
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1146 posts
494 upvotes
HRM
There's a number to call when you leave and then when you return. You will be deducted for the days you are gone. Also, if you don't call expect to get a letter 6-12 months afterwards questioning your absence. They cross reference the incoming landing cards you fill in on the plane, FYI.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
5 posts
Hi,

Just to ad to my post. I went to the USA and returned and then accurately reported that I was out of the country for three days. I checked my service canada account and it is saying now that they have new information on my claim but have not yet made a decision. My question is: A decision about what?

I called them as well and there didn't seem to be an issue but who knows? Can someone tell me if this is at all normal? Is this cause for concern?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2199 posts
713 upvotes
Gollum201 wrote: Hi,

Just to ad to my post. I went to the USA and returned and then accurately reported that I was out of the country for three days. I checked my service canada account and it is saying now that they have new information on my claim but have not yet made a decision. My question is: A decision about what?

I called them as well and there didn't seem to be an issue but who knows? Can someone tell me if this is at all normal? Is this cause for concern?
If you accurately reported your out of Canada days and you've spoken to Service Canada about it, then there should be no problem. Check your MSCA to see if the report for the period of time that you were outside Canada has processed and if you see the payment information for that report.

As long as you reported your absence prior to leaving the country or within 6 weeks of your return, there should be no cause for concern.
[OP]
Mar 27, 2016
5 posts
Thanks very much. I didn't report it prior but on the next report. They seem to be looking into it but I have no idea what they are looking at. I thought the amount would be automatically deducted but instead it says :

"We have received new information on your claim but have not yet made a decision. We will make every effort to review this information by May 08, 2016."

I think I will call for clarification.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
1146 posts
494 upvotes
HRM
You're supposed to report you're leaving prior to departure and then again on return. By report, I mean calk them and tell a real person who will make a note. Don't screw around - especially since you're not supposed to leave the country at all. When you call in on your return the clerk will update your report for that week and you will eventually see a deduction. Keep very accurate records. Note: the day you leave is one day and weekends and stat holidays are counted along with the day you return. So, if you leave Friday and return Monday they will deduct 4 days off your payment.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2008
2199 posts
713 upvotes
If it is simply an out of Canada vacation adjudication issue on a sickness benefits claim, when you call Service Canada, they should be able to input the information on your file and process the report for you on the phone.

As for the new information on your claim, it could be for any reason. For example, if your reason for absence from Canada is for a reason other than vacation, it could trigger a review depending on what the absence was for. A review could also be triggered due to a new or amended ROE on your file. You should call Service Canada for clarification.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)