Cell Phones

Travelling to Paris and need local number

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2019 1:15 am
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes

Travelling to Paris and need local number

I've been through the thead for roaming SIMs and looked all over and cannot find straightforward information on how a traveller can get a local number for 2-3 weeks in France.

A relative of mine is taking a special foreign student course and it is required to get a local Paris number. The course material does not say what purpose they have for the number, but presumeably it is some fast way other than email to contact students during the course. The staff have not responded to an email request for clarification or assistance.

My own experience a few years ago was that it required ID in person to get a SIM, didn't work well, and then didn't work at all. I don't even remember what carrier I used. But even having been there, I can't help with a success story.

I am open to any solution is has a smooth user experience and is cost effective. That could be:

1. a conventional local prepaid SIM, acquired upon landing
2. a roaming SIM that we acquire ahead of time
3. a VoIP solution

Can anyone explain or point to useful resources? Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
You can do all three. At the airport or in the city, buy a French Sim card. Buy a French Sim card on Amazon or get a French VoIP number (Google it).

I got a Sim card from a mobile shop with my passport in Paris. You can practice your French skills to buy it. Winking Face

SFR and orange are two large carriers.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2004
7673 posts
1131 upvotes
Toronto, ON
One of the carriers, Bouygues I think, will mail to North America a travel kit with a French SIM and everything all ready to go. My parents have done the prepaid SIM thing for a number of trips to France and that turned out to be the easiest option last time; before, they bought Orange SIMs at Relay stores at the airport (typically NCE), but that's more hectic. Also I believe the Bouygues plan lasts for longer. https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/carte-pr ... paid-plan/ - 20GB, including 15GB that can be used elsewhere in Europe, etc. for 40 euros.

I believe there's a rule in France that to have the line active more than 2 weeks or so, you need to submit ID to the carrier.

Also, note that there is no such thing as a 'local Paris number' - unlike in North America, cell phone numbers there are not regionalized - they're all +33 6 whatever... (and maybe +33 7 whatever too, I forget)
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
IanBrantford wrote: I've been through the thead for roaming SIMs and looked all over and cannot find straightforward information on how a traveller can get a local number for 2-3 weeks in France.

A relative of mine is taking a special foreign student course and it is required to get a local Paris number. The course material does not say what purpose they have for the number, but presumeably it is some fast way other than email to contact students during the course. The staff have not responded to an email request for clarification or assistance.

My own experience a few years ago was that it required ID in person to get a SIM, didn't work well, and then didn't work at all. I don't even remember what carrier I used. But even having been there, I can't help with a success story.

I am open to any solution is has a smooth user experience and is cost effective. That could be:

1. a conventional local prepaid SIM, acquired upon landing
2. a roaming SIM that we acquire ahead of time
3. a VoIP solution

Can anyone explain or point to useful resources? Thanks.
Good option if you have WiFi, but they won't be able to reach you when you're not on a WiFi network !
Nov 16, 2014
224 posts
112 upvotes
Ladysmith, BC
If it is an older phone, make sure that the phone is unlocked before leaving Canada. The traveller should also know how to physically change the SIM. I have not been to France, but in the UK you can get lots of voice, text, and data for 30 days for £10 on pay-as-you-go (prepaid). Expect the same in France for €10. Cheap!
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2521 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
As far as I know, you cannot obtain a VOIP number for France without proof of residency there. Places like voip.ms offers them, but you need to provide proof.

A sim card is likely your best solution. Recently, I used a prepaid card from Orange. It was sold by Amazon.ca and active immediately upon first connection to a network in Europe. You also get your french mobile number in the package, so can provide it before you arrive. It's limited in Minutes though (30 min outgoing (to anywhere in the world), unlimited incoming, but you get 8GB valid across europe). Locally you can get better rates usually with unlimited talk and text and about 20GB data in France for around 20 Euros

As others stated, if you don't need data, you can get cheap cell phones with service there.

You can buy sim card and prepaid phones in mobile store providers (like Orange, SFR and Buygues), or in convenience stores that cell press (like Relay) or tobacco stores (bureau de tabac)
Celebrating 21+ years on RFD!
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
Thanks for the replies, folks. It's going to be a prepaid SIM with first attempt with Bouygues, since they have a tourist option to ship ahead.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
Any gas station in France will have prepaid sim cards you just have to choose amount you want

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)