• Jun 27th, 2020 7:45 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2012
104 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Travelling by road to Saskatoon City from Barrie

Hi all,
I would be travelling to Saskatoon City from Barrie, ON, last week on July. I have already confirmed with authorities about interprovincial restrictions (if any due to VOID) and seem all ok. I have a SUV (Nissan Murano) and would be pulling U-Haul trailer 6*12 full of stuff along my wife and 3 years old baby in the car.
Looking for some tips such as where to stay / stop etc along the road as I am taking TransCanada Hwy. Have someone done this route while pulling load?
Last edited by MrDisco on Jun 26th, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed the title
19 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33884 posts
3783 upvotes
Winnipeg
pretty straight forward drive, i drive to saskatoon every months or two.
Jan 12, 2020
493 posts
728 upvotes
Re: Travelling by rod to Saskatoon City

Here is a rod to kilometer converter.

Looks like it's just over half a million rods from Barrie to Saskatoon depending on which route you choose.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I apologize to the OP for the above derail ribbing a now fixed typo. I also had an error in conversion which is now fixed. Finally, rather than adding another tangential post, I am appending my response here to this follow-up question:

gei wrote: How many hogs heads would it take to travel [half a million] rods?

Here is a hogshead to liter converter.

Surprisingly, even a fully laden Nissan Murano pulling a U-Haul can likely drive the full 550,000 rod trip from Barrie to Saskatoon on 1 single hogshead of gas!
Last edited by goodking on Jun 27th, 2020 11:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8811 posts
10102 upvotes
Vancouver
TCH is your only option between southern Ontario and Winnipeg. After leaving Winnipeg the most direct route is Hwy 16, but it's also the most boring. Any of the secondary highways that parallel that road will be much more interesting, will have far less traffic, and the speed limit will be 100km/h, plenty fast enough.
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5278 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto
goodking wrote: Re: Travelling by rod to Saskatoon City

Here is a rod to kilometer converter.

Looks like it's just under 5.5 million rods from Barrie to Saskatoon depending on which route you choose.
How many hogs heads would it take to travel 5.5 million rods?
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2191 posts
18544 upvotes
Since you are from southern Ontario, if you plan to stay in Manitoba for more than 24 hrs.- "The new orders will extend the mandate that anyone entering Manitoba, regardless of whether it was from another country or another province must self-isolate for 14 days until such time as the orders are terminated by the chief provincial public health officer."

Plan your stops and accommodations with this in mind.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/soe.html
Jul 24, 2019
532 posts
654 upvotes
Canada
Pardon wrote: Since you are from southern Ontario, if you plan to stay in Manitoba for more than 24 hrs.- "The new orders will extend the mandate that anyone entering Manitoba, regardless of whether it was from another country or another province must self-isolate for 14 days until such time as the orders are terminated by the chief provincial public health officer."

Plan your stops and accommodations with this in mind.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/soe.html
Agree about province's recommendation about travel. OP, ON stated essential travel only.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15323 posts
4523 upvotes
London
geekoncall wrote: Hi all,
I would be travelling to Saskatoon City from Barrie, ON, last week on July. I have already confirmed with authorities about interprovincial restrictions (if any due to VOID) and seem all ok. I have a SUV (Nissan Murano) and would be pulling U-Haul trailer 6*12 full of stuff along my wife and 3 years old baby in the car.
Looking for some tips such as where to stay / stop etc along the road as I am taking TransCanada Hwy. Have someone done this route while pulling load?
https://goo.gl/maps/8LEWM13o9EG2zThT8

Barrie to SSM = 6 hours
SSM to Thunderbay = 7.5 hours
TB to Winnipeg = 7.5 but get an hour due to time zone
Winn to SK = 8 hours
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
33884 posts
3783 upvotes
Winnipeg
you also get a hour from Winnipeg to Saskatoon though, during normal times i would go through the states but it is not advisable these days heh
[OP]
Apr 20, 2012
104 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you all, appreciate your feedback.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14176 posts
11390 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
In Canada ... it’s the TransCanada / TCan
And about 28+ hours driving time (prob longer if you are hauling )

Northern Ontario is beautiful (as are the prairies)
But in both cases ... it can be a pretty long stretch between major towns / cities (and services)
You’ll have to bear that in mind for gas, pee breaks, Tim’s for Coffee, any meals, and overnights

(Maybe use TripAdvisor to plan out your stops for Meals & Hotels. Booking Hotels ahead also makes sense during the summertime cuz lots of folks typically travel this route )

The most civilized spots ... Sudbury - Sault Ste Marie (The Sault) - Kenora - Winnipeg - Saskatoon

As @Pardon mentioned, you’ll have to keep up to date on Covid Requirements too

Winnipeg is a lovely city ... but if Manitoba has a Quarantine requirement, you might want to skip it ... by overnighting in Kenora Ontario instead ... before making the push for Saskatchewan (right thru to Saskatoon ... or a side trip first to Regina)

Notable roadside attractions :
* Big Nickel in Sudbury & Science North
* The Goose in Wawa
* Terry Fox Monument outside of TBay (where Terry had to stop his run)

Of course what’s open, will be dependent on Covid
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14176 posts
11390 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Re - Saskatoon City

My guess, the OP isn’t originally from Canada
And they have somehow got SASKatchewan confused with SASKatoon
Perhaps even seeking it listed as Saskatoon, Sask.

I mean seriously ... how many words do you know that start with SASK ?

And much like their is a Quebec City ... in Quebec (actually Quebec, Quebec)
And a New York City ... in New York (actually New York, New York )
Or a Kansas City ... in Kansas
Etc

They’ve made an understandable error
you all may be getting a laugh out of this
But I think it’s pretty INAPPROPRIATE to make fun of folks who either don’t live in Canada
Or who didn’t grow up here ...
Or worse yet ... who’s first language may not be English

Come on... we are Cdns, we can do better ... be better than this
Have we not learned anything in the last 30 Days about being more accepting of people’s differences ... and that we should be more supportive of one another ? That our differences make us who we are ... that without these differences we’d just be a world of cookie cutter milk toast boring all the sameness

We need to embrace & celebrate diversity ... not scorn it

PS ... do feel free to step up to the plate & apologize to the OP for not being able to think outside the box Eh
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14176 posts
11390 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kimmelite wrote: Agree about province's recommendation about travel. OP, ON stated essential travel only.
I hear you ...

But I think if the OP is hauling a UHaul full of stuff, that this isn’t a vacation / pleasure trip

Sounds more like a cross country move to me

Lots of people in Canada have to do relocation moves in the summertime once the kids are out of school

Early July gives folks the most time possible to settle into their new environment before Labour Day, and the kids head back to school agin.
(So much so ... that in Quebec ... July 1st is the Provinces official Moving Day = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Day_(Quebec) )