Expired Hot Deals

[TravelZoo] *SOLD OUT* $2599 Maldives 7Nts 5-Star Overwater Villa + Half Board + 1 Launch at fully ocean-submerged glass restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 11:36 am
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
AncasterRFD wrote: I agree, should be more reviews stating such. I would prefer talking to a good travel agent or someone who's actually been there recently. Not true on sun. Our house faces east/west, we always get sunshine in our bedroom all year. A backyard facing west is nice in late afternoon/evening. It could be the Villa in question faces north/south.
From all the pics, the Dolphin Villas are facing West and the Manta Villas are facing east. If you look at the pic below, The Dolphin Villas with Pool are next to Dolphin without Pool and they face West. I thought that when he was saying no sun on balcony, it was probably in the morning or he's blaming the the resort for the clouds covering the sun Face With Tears Of Joy

Jul 3, 2002
255 posts
72 upvotes
bfungyau wrote: Thanks. Very helpful.

I checked my BMO World Elite MC and they have the same coverage: $2500 per person up to $5,000 per account for Trip Cancellation insurance.
" Default whereby a contracted travel supplier stops all service completely as a result of bankruptcy or insolvency."

The AMEX Gold covers only Trip Interruption due to medical reasons only. So, it won't be useful here.

I don't worry too much about TravelZoo but rather the resort itself. In any case, the MC Trip Cancellation insurance should cover it.
I looked at HSBC WE coverage. It specifically mentions that under excluded coverage under (xi) that it does not provide coverage for failure of travel agencies. Since TZOO is a travel agency, you may have difficulty in getting coverage..
Sep 22, 2010
94 posts
43 upvotes
Pr0metheus wrote: According to Google flights, it seems a round trip flight from Toronto is at least $3000 total for 2 people (most dates are over $4000). Also add in the roundtrip transfers between the international airport and You & Me Maldives that are required and cost up to US$420 (approx. $550) per person.

Overall, this would be at least $6-7k for 2 people. I don't know if that's good or bad, but just trying to save some people time doing research. I'm trying to hold off on showing the wife and seeing if it's a good deal because she will obviously want to go Face With Tears Of Joy
Yikes, that is expensive...
Jul 17, 2011
45 posts
81 upvotes
BRAMPTON
don't fall in love with fantasy imagination if you don't have budget/plan to go, this is not for rich people though, they can go anywhere anytime without thinking price,
Jan 2, 2020
39 posts
21 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: For those thinking that the credit card companies may protect them, I just went through a nightmare with TD over Air Canada flights I booked on my First Class Travel Visa card.
Not only did I purchase cancellation insurance (which rejected my refund request on Air Canada cancelled flights) but I argued with TD for weeks before realising that that the card also includes cancellation insurance. It took numerous calls and emails but I eventually got my money back.

Considering my troubles as well as troubles others have had, I'm not too sure credit card companies can be trusted to handle travel related issues as they once had.
Actually, I've heard that travel insurance companies are omitting coverage for Covid and possible other virus infections.
MasterCard and Visa's chargeback guidelines are very clear and sometimes you just have to escalate and read the reps the rules. You shouldn't have gone through insurance if Air Canada cancelled your flight; this should have been a chargeback. If you ever go through this again, Google TD's direct disputes phone number (administered by MBNA).
Dec 23, 2011
271 posts
196 upvotes
toronto
GangStarr wrote: Colombia is very good value. Even in a city like Medellin. Spent quite a bit of time there and it can be very affordable and not as scary as it sounds. Colombia has very cheap flights into and within the country.

Bolivia is likely very cheap but I havn’t been
wife said you get shot by drug lords according to popular films, thanks but no thanks.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
orangem wrote: I looked at HSBC WE coverage. It specifically mentions that under excluded coverage under (xi) that it does not provide coverage for failure of travel agencies. Since TZOO is a travel agency, you may have difficulty in getting coverage..
Not true, fact checked: "failure of any travel supplier through which You contract for services if this supplier was, at the time of booking, in bankruptcy, insolvency or receivership; or in the case of U.S. Air Carriers, under
Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. No protection is provided for failure of travel agents, agencies or brokers;"

It is indeed covered (see last line)
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
2291 posts
442 upvotes
Thornhill
so they're huts? no soundproof or anything at night? :0
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
8311 posts
3761 upvotes
Markham
elideli wrote: The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on.
That's quite rude comment
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote: That's quite rude comment
I'm sorry if that sounded rude. It's an old proverb that was used to refer to caravans (people travelling together) through the vast deserts of the Middle East. Dogs barked as the caravan slowly proceeded towards its destination, but their bark couldn't stop the caravan from reaching the end of its journey. In other words, life goes on, even if people or events try to stop you.
Sep 13, 2016
34 posts
23 upvotes
In for the deal and looking forward to it.

At least it gives me sort of hope during this dark time.

Thanks OP!
Jan 24, 2010
68 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver
I want in on this deal. Just need to wait for my HSBC WE card to arrive Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Jul 3, 2002
255 posts
72 upvotes
elideli wrote: Not true, fact checked: "failure of any travel supplier through which You contract for services if this supplier was, at the time of booking, in bankruptcy, insolvency or receivership; or in the case of U.S. Air Carriers, under
Chapter 11 in the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. No protection is provided for failure of travel agents, agencies or brokers;"

It is indeed covered (see last line)
Did you see the period between the 2 sentences? Grammatically, the "at time of booking" only applies to the first sentence. ... I talked to a customer rep and they said if travel agency hasn't booked a ticket yet and it went belly up, then it is not covered. So, when you pay TZOO, will they confirm you have a ticket with the resort? Or is a ticket issued only upon date confirmation?
Last edited by orangem on Sep 14th, 2020 8:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nov 29, 2011
75 posts
6 upvotes
THORNHILL
Maldives has allowed Airbnb's for the past couple of years and my wife and I stayed for over a month on different islands. Our stay included breakfast and dinner cooked and served by locals. We also negotiated a lot of fun day trips to different areas (including the villas) at an incredible price. You can get really nice and spacious Airbnb's for <$150/day. At $6-7k you can stay at the Maldives and hop to different islands for a month or even more. I never saw the appeal of the villas, but thought I'd give other people options. At the end of the day, you share the same waters!

I have a contact at Rasdhoo (great for scuba diving, our private dive encountered turtles, octopus, mantas and 20+ reef sharks all at once) and Thoddoo (the island of fruits!) if anyone is looking to stay there. You can talk directly with the host and negotiate pricing and deals.
Last edited by Jhhoo1 on Sep 14th, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
orangem wrote: Did you see the period between the 2 sentences? Grammatically, the "at time of booking" only applies to the first sentence. ... I talked to a customer rep and they said if travel agency hasn't booked a ticket yet and it went belly up, then it is not covered. So, when you pay TZOO, will they confirm you have a ticket with the resort? Or is a ticket issued only upon date confirmation?
I see what you mean, good point. They issue a voucher, basically a credit, the booking is only confirmed when the voucher is redeemed at the resort. I would just book my dates and leave it.