Expired Hot Deals

[TravelZoo] *SOLD OUT* $2599 Maldives 7Nts 5-Star Overwater Villa + Half Board + 1 Launch at fully ocean-submerged glass restaurant

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 11:36 am
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3453 posts
3295 upvotes
Montreal
orangem wrote: Did you see the period between the 2 sentences? Grammatically, the "at time of booking" only applies to the first sentence. ... I talked to a customer rep and they said if travel agency hasn't booked a ticket yet and it went belly up, then it is not covered. So, when you pay TZOO, will they confirm you have a ticket with the resort? Or is a ticket issued only upon date confirmation?
I think this kind of policy is applied for all credit cards. They all requires to have the expected delivery date (travel ticket date, hotel reservation date or shipping date) in order to request a charge back.

In this case, may be we could immediately book a reservation for a far away date near the deadline Oct. 31, 2022. This way we having a travel date and we could do a charge back in case TravelZoo bankrupt.

From the policies, it seems we could change the reservation later when we know the exact date we want to travel.
Cancellation and Other Hotel Policies: Until the voucher’s expiry date, Travelzoo will give you a full refund of your purchase if you can't find dates that suit you or you can't travel. Once the room is reserved with the hotel, changes must be made at least 14 days prior to arrival or voucher will not be refundable.
https://www.travelzoo.com/ca/local-deal ... -maldives/
Feb 18, 2006
179 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
I'm swaying on this deal, rational side is arguing with the yippie that wants to go to Maldives. The possibility of travel zoo going belly up is a real possibility. Since Dec 2019 they delayed repayment in payables to merchant + increased liabilities by almost 20M. Revenue is 26% of what it was in 2019 in the last 3 months, resulting in a 13M loss YTD. Its not near under yet but they've been racking up cash to stay afloat in case it keeps being slow for the next 12 months. They even said it themselves in their financials that they expect the cash on hand to last at least 12 months but no guarantee. Deals like this one is definitely helping out as they wont need to pay it out to the merchant until its redeemed by the customer. From what I gathered, cc insurance (at least for hsbc) will cover the insolvency if you also book the flight ticket with the hotel. But I run into the dilemma of not knowing when COVID will be over... decision decisions
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
ezbzq wrote: I'm swaying on this deal, rational side is arguing with the yippie that wants to go to Maldives. The possibility of travel zoo going belly up is a real possibility. Since Dec 2019 they delayed repayment in payables to merchant + increased liabilities by almost 20M. Revenue is 26% of what it was in 2019 in the last 3 months, resulting in a 13M loss YTD. Its not near under yet but they've been racking up cash to stay afloat in case it keeps being slow for the next 12 months. They even said it themselves in their financials that they expect the cash on hand to last at least 12 months but no guarantee. Deals like this one is definitely helping out as they wont need to pay it out to the merchant until its redeemed by the customer. From what I gathered, cc insurance (at least for hsbc) will cover the insolvency if you also book the flight ticket with the hotel. But I run into the dilemma of not knowing when COVID will be over... decision decisions
It's all about risk tolerance, to me it's worth the risk, an overwater villa with a private pool and sunset view can run upward $10K, odds are small for TravelZoo to go under in the next 12 months. The good things is they are public, you can smell the fire before it takes all over. You can also redeem your voucher right away and deal only with the resort.
Aug 27, 2011
168 posts
232 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
what's their operating cash flow and monthly burn rate like. Earnings is on accrual basis. If they have negative CFO, not much cash on hand, high burn rate and limited access to credit facilities, you are looking for Chapter 11 filing soon...

ezbzq wrote: I'm swaying on this deal, rational side is arguing with the yippie that wants to go to Maldives. The possibility of travel zoo going belly up is a real possibility. Since Dec 2019 they delayed repayment in payables to merchant + increased liabilities by almost 20M. Revenue is 26% of what it was in 2019 in the last 3 months, resulting in a 13M loss YTD. Its not near under yet but they've been racking up cash to stay afloat in case it keeps being slow for the next 12 months. They even said it themselves in their financials that they expect the cash on hand to last at least 12 months but no guarantee. Deals like this one is definitely helping out as they wont need to pay it out to the merchant until its redeemed by the customer. From what I gathered, cc insurance (at least for hsbc) will cover the insolvency if you also book the flight ticket with the hotel. But I run into the dilemma of not knowing when COVID will be over... decision decisions
Jul 3, 2002
255 posts
72 upvotes
I just booked mine. i just looked it up they are also part of TICO. So TICO compensation fund should cover it if it goes belly up.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
orangem wrote: I just booked mine. i just looked it up they are also part of TICO. So TICO compensation fund should cover it if it goes belly up.
Very good to know we have another layer of protection. Here's the details about TICO coverage for bankruptcy/insolvency.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8351 posts
1243 upvotes
Vancouver
fishhunting wrote: wife said you get shot by drug lords according to popular films, thanks but no thanks.
Someone asked how you do South America for $1k I answered. Probably shouldn’t have chimed in ona Maldives thread

You and the three likes you got are small minded bigots. I hope your trolling otherwise I feel really bad for you and your wife.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 14, 2006
8585 posts
1292 upvotes
fishhunting wrote: wife said you get shot by drug lords according to popular films, thanks but no thanks.
According to popular films, New York City is hit with domestic and international terrorist attacks every day. Aliens invade NYC once a week.
TEAM CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3221 posts
569 upvotes
GTA
L4cky wrote: it's a consensus it is a bad deal.

if u aren't going to die from covid, u will die from drowning under water into this risky undersea restaurant.

Better go to somewhere safe, like in the Antarctica and enjoy the penguins view. Covid free also. A way much romantic place! Who wouldn't want to watch Penguins all day in an Igloo!

Who else is single?
Honestly my girlfriend is a huge penguin nut lol. She would choose the igloo with penguins over this trip if both were free.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
5791 posts
2290 upvotes
Canuckland
Good laugh, you’ll die of rona before you get shot
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13030 posts
6850 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ezbzq wrote: But I run into the dilemma of not knowing when COVID will be over... decision decisions
COVID isn't going away like SARS1 that required people to be ill before being contagious. Dr.Ryan WHO "we let up, it comes back". Moreover, vaccine trials do not demonstrate long term antibody response much like those infected naturally and acquire a different strain within a couple of months. However there is some longterm T/B cell memory that reduces the severity of subsequent coronavirus infections which means getting the vaccine when it's available could reduce the extent of illness. It be prudent to at least get the flu vaccine which covers H1N1.

Great deal here, I'd prefer a Health Canada approved vaccine before destination travelling. I've seen enough COVID patients in the ICU, you don't necessarily need risk factors to be critical, and global meta-analysis tells us about 85% of infected adults are symptomatic in the spectrum. The location is also isolated from expedient medical care. I'm getting off topic, a negative RT-PCR swab requires a lab, hours, and captures beyond the contagious period, we really need to get on with widely available cheap paper antigen tests that'll give results in minutes. That would change travel, business etc. I'm not telling people not to go, those are my personal reasons as a health care professional, let alone the issues brought up by others banking here. Readers can do their own assessment of risk and what's important to them.
Last edited by AncasterRFD on Sep 15th, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 20, 2006
222 posts
144 upvotes
I remember I saw 2 other maldives travel deal from RFD in the last couple months, and the value of the deal seems getting better and better to draw people in. I will wait for the next deal.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26800 posts
6014 upvotes
Hamilton
Wow. The ratio of votes here. Dang
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jan 7, 2010
113 posts
73 upvotes
Burlington