Expired Hot Deals

[TravelZoo] *SOLD OUT* $2599 Maldives 7Nts 5-Star Overwater Villa + Half Board + 1 Launch at fully ocean-submerged glass restaurant

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 11:36 am
Member
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
JC0411 wrote: MasterCard and Visa's chargeback guidelines are very clear and sometimes you just have to escalate and read the reps the rules. You shouldn't have gone through insurance if Air Canada cancelled your flight; this should have been a chargeback. If you ever go through this again, Google TD's direct disputes phone number (administered by MBNA).
That's great but my wife was in TD Visa customer service for over 15 years with them and knows exactly how the system works.
I also worked with them for a number of years as well.

Both of us were completely frustrated in dealing with this travel related issue.
Not only that but the TD customer service reps constantly tried to frustrate us and would not help in any way.
They would flatly lie to us and it's not like we spoke to only 1 or 2 reps. I spoke to at least 7 people at TD about this.
Newbie
Jan 2, 2020
39 posts
21 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: That's great but my wife was in TD Visa customer service for over 15 years with them and knows exactly how the system works.
I also worked with them for a number of years as well.

Both of us were completely frustrated in dealing with this travel related issue.
Not only that but the TD customer service reps constantly tried to frustrate us and would not help in any way.
They would flatly lie to us and it's not like we spoke to only 1 or 2 reps. I spoke to at least 7 people at TD about this.
That's awful! I did two chargebacks with TD against Air Canada and didn't have any issues, but I called the disputes line directly (the one that says welcome to MBNA). I did have issues initially with BMO but that got resolved when I escalated the issue to their "Executive Resolutions Office." I'm glad to hear you were able to finally get it done.
Member
Dec 11, 2008
308 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
JC0411 wrote: That's awful! I did two chargebacks with TD against Air Canada and didn't have any issues, but I called the disputes line directly (the one that says welcome to MBNA). I did have issues initially with BMO but that got resolved when I escalated the issue to their "Executive Resolutions Office." I'm glad to hear you were able to finally get it done.
When did you start your dispute process?
My first call was in April, to get information and then in mid-May, when I received my cancellation notice from Air Canada.

In April, they had said that it woul be no problem, Hah.
Newbie
Jan 2, 2020
39 posts
21 upvotes
Canuck_TO wrote: When did you start your dispute process?
My first call was in April, to get information and then in mid-May, when I received my cancellation notice from Air Canada.

In April, they had said that it woul be no problem, Hah.
I called at the end of February and one call to TD is all it took. By May, the banks had no excuse to give anyone problems as Visa and MasterCard had already come out with guidelines related to cancelled flights. I don't know, maybe Air Canada and WestJet were pressuring the banks; I wouldn't put it past them as they seem to have pressured our government.
Member
Mar 16, 2006
271 posts
331 upvotes
Vancouver
Upvoted to help balance out the down votes. It's a good deal and it's available.

Hoping they do some sort of package to the Caribbean soon.
Jr. Member
Sep 14, 2020
140 posts
74 upvotes
elideli wrote: I see what you mean, good point. They issue a voucher, basically a credit, the booking is only confirmed when the voucher is redeemed at the resort. I would just book my dates and leave it.
I believe this is pretty much it. You must have a date booked in order to have a "expected service date". But since this booking is with the hotel (and travelzoo was the one who took your credit card money), I'm not sure what the condition is to be covered.

I'm thinking of buying this, but first I want to call my credit card company and see what they say. Although I want a reference and not just take the agent's word.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1282 posts
414 upvotes
Toronto
When is there going to be a deal to the South Pacific?? Waiting for that....
[OP]
Member
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
Me262A1 wrote: I believe this is pretty much it. You must have a date booked in order to have a "expected service date". But since this booking is with the hotel (and travelzoo was the one who took your credit card money), I'm not sure what the condition is to be covered.

I'm thinking of buying this, but first I want to call my credit card company and see what they say. Although I want a reference and not just take the agent's word.
Forget the CC insurance, you money is fully protected by TICO and it's a much better protection than CC travel insurance. TravelZoo is registered as travel a provider, hence your payment is protected against bankruptcy/insolvency. Every time you buy a travel service from a TICO registered provider, a few dollars are remitted to a fund managed by TICO which serves to compensate you in the case of bankruptcy/insolvency. At this point, I would rather keep my money with Travelzoo until I'm sure of my trip. See here for more details.
https://www.tico.ca/consumers/frequentl ... tions.html

I was provided with a travel voucher (credit) or similar document by an Ontario travel agency, tour operator and/or by an airline, cruise line prior to it ceasing operations for future travel services. Can I file a claim for the credit amount?

REDEEMED VOUCHERS OR SIMILAR DOCUMENTS: If you have redeemed a travel voucher, certificate, coupon or similar document for travel services with a TICO-registered travel agency or website and the travel services can no longer be provided due to either the Ontario travel agency, website or Ontario tour operator become bankrupt or insolvent or ceased to carry on business or due to the cessation of an airline or cruise line you may file a claim against the Travel Industry Compensation Fund, subject to the provisions of the Regulation. So long as the consumer has purchased the travel service through a registered Ontario travel retailer, a claim may be filed against the Compensation Fund for the non-provision of travel services, subject to the provisions of the Regulation.

UNREDEEMED VOUCHERS OR SIMILAR DOCUMENTS: For a temporary period from March 30, 2020 until March 31, 2022, the holder of a credit voucher, certificate, coupon, or similar document issued by a TICO-registered travel agency, website or tour operator that has NOT been redeemed for future travel services because the TICO-registered travel agency or tour operator has become bankrupt or insolvent or ceased to carry on business and that failure is related to COVID-19, you can make a claim against the Travel Industry Compensation Fund subject to the provisions of the Regulation.
Last edited by elideli on Sep 16th, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Member
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
DownfallenX wrote: Upvoted to help balance out the down votes. It's a good deal and it's available.

Hoping they do some sort of package to the Caribbean soon.
I'm pretty sure they will do Caribbean deals as the Caribbean rely heavily on mass tourism and there won't be any mass tourism for the near future. The high season is approaching fast and there's a lot at stake. They will have to either sell capacity close to cost or stay empty.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 8, 2004
844 posts
149 upvotes
In for Maldives, especially the underwater restaurant. Was thinking to go to the Conrad one few years back, but after checking the price I had to pass. haha

At this price, I think it is a very sweet deal with all the stuff it comes with (even you have to pay for your own transportation to the island). I'm pretty sure this deal won't happen if it is not because of COVID-19... so if you have the budget and are thinking of going Maldives anyway, this is definitely the deal you want to grab. Definitely there is risk as people mentioned: TZ going bankrupt, travel ban still in place till Oct 2022, etc.

This deal is really not for every RFDers and it relies hugely on one's risk appetite.

Back to the deal, I think 7 nights at one resort in Maldives maybe a little too long (in my own personal preference only), especially this isn't a big resort unless you plan on going several excursion. I went on four nights on my honeymoon and the last two days was a little dragging on already...

Maldives resorts are definitely not comparable with Mexico, Cuba or Jamaica ones, where those are tailored more to entertainment. People go to Maldives for relax and spas, the sand and water. However, 7 nights of this for me will be too much. I wish they have deals for multiple resorts for shorter stays, that will be wonderful.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44411 posts
4986 upvotes
Richmond Hill
GabL wrote: In for Maldives, especially the underwater restaurant. Was thinking to go to the Conrad one few years back, but after checking the price I had to pass. haha

At this price, I think it is a very sweet deal with all the stuff it comes with (even you have to pay for your own transportation to the island). I'm pretty sure this deal won't happen if it is not because of COVID-19... so if you have the budget and are thinking of going Maldives anyway, this is definitely the deal you want to grab. Definitely there is risk as people mentioned: TZ going bankrupt, travel ban still in place till Oct 2022, etc.

This deal is really not for every RFDers and it relies hugely on one's risk appetite.

Back to the deal, I think 7 nights at one resort in Maldives maybe a little too long (in my own personal preference only), especially this isn't a big resort unless you plan on going several excursion. I went on four nights on my honeymoon and the last two days was a little dragging on already...

Maldives resorts are definitely not comparable with Mexico, Cuba or Jamaica ones, where those are tailored more to entertainment. People go to Maldives for relax and spas, the sand and water. However, 7 nights of this for me will be too much. I wish they have deals for multiple resorts for shorter stays, that will be wonderful.
4-5 days would have been perfect. This is the 3rd Maldives deal from TZ and they've all been 7 nights, most likely because they want to sell in bulk to make up for the costs, both from a bulk buy perspective, as well as because it will make you spend money on excursions and massages.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware
Member
Jul 8, 2019
238 posts
89 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: 4-5 days would have been perfect. This is the 3rd Maldives deal from TZ and they've all been 7 nights, most likely because they want to sell in bulk to make up for the costs, both from a bulk buy perspective, as well as because it will make you spend money on excursions and massages.
I know about the Reethi Faru deal and this one. Whats the resort for the third deal?

Top