Expired Hot Deals

[TravelZoo] *SOLD OUT* $2599 Maldives 7Nts 5-Star Overwater Villa + Half Board + 1 Launch at fully ocean-submerged glass restaurant

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 11:36 am
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2019
146 posts
210 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Yeah I'm not sure why 2 weeks quarantine will cost any money when everyone is working from home nowadays anyways.
Saying "everyone" can just work from home is extremely disrespectful to the majority of the working population that are risking their safety to make sure you have groceries, gas, online merchandise, healthcare, etc. Most jobs that require you to be on site, will not pay your wages of you voluntarily travel and subsequently have to quarantine, nor are they required to.

Edit: didn't mention healthcare workers, like a jerk...
Last edited by mybadreligon on Sep 19th, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2019
146 posts
210 upvotes
fishhunting wrote: please name, many people say on redflagdeals this or that is better but never type what is actually better. I would go for 1k easy.
Because the deals they reference never exist.
[OP]
Member
Dec 2, 2013
231 posts
398 upvotes
Montreal
The Dolphin Villas with Pool and the Manta Villas are all
sold out as of now.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3345 posts
1416 upvotes
Scarborough
mybadreligon wrote: Saying "everyone" can just work from home is extremely disrespectful to the majority of the working population that are risking their safety to make sure you have groceries, gas, online merchandise, healthcare, etc. Most jobs that require you to be on site, will not pay your wages of you voluntarily travel and subsequently have to quarantine, nor are they required to.

Edit: didn't mention healthcare workers, like a jerk...
Let me ask you, they are risking their lives by choice or force? If they had to choose they would not goto work but they make minimum wage and they need whatever they can to make ends meet. Don't put these people on a pedestal, the minute they had the opportunity to take CERB they jumped ship.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14658 posts
4050 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Let me ask you, they are risking their lives by choice or force? If they had to choose they would not goto work but they make minimum wage and they need whatever they can to make ends meet. Don't put these people on a pedestal, the minute they had the opportunity to take CERB they jumped ship.
Not everyone can just make more money or get a better job on a whim. Nor can everyone take paid sick leave if they have a cough. CERB isn't only lazy kids sitting around at home instead of flipping burgers at McDonald's. It's the single mother who has to stay home to look after her children because schools are closed. It's the working family staying home so they don't go out and spread the virus at home to their elderly parents. By limiting exposure and cases, healthcare workers aren't overwhelmed.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Member
Aug 18, 2016
236 posts
297 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Let me ask you, they are risking their lives by choice or force? If they had to choose they would not goto work but they make minimum wage and they need whatever they can to make ends meet. Don't put these people on a pedestal, the minute they had the opportunity to take CERB they jumped ship.
Well I make over a 100k a year and have rental income as well, so we are not hurting for money, my wife works in our small towns grocer and they had the option of taking a leave if they wanted, she did not, she continued working. A few people did take leave and that left them short handed, so my 17 year old daughter that was laid off from Dairy Queen and doing school online, could have collected CERB and went instead to work part time to help out the grocery store, in all reality, she would have more money collecting CERB, but unlike your dim view of worker bees, plenty of people stepped up and worked anyway. Now that's not to say people were foolish to collect CERB, the government bungled that, giving way too much and clawing back after one makes $1000, should have just fallen under traditional EI system and compensation values...
Member
Jul 3, 2002
255 posts
72 upvotes
elideli wrote: The Dolphin Villas with Pool and the Manta Villas are all
sold out as of now.
I prebooked the dates for 2022 already. The resort sent me a confirmation plus an invoice for the seaplane ride which i will need to pay 14 days before the trip. seems to be so far so good.
Last edited by orangem on Sep 21st, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2019
146 posts
210 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Let me ask you, they are risking their lives by choice or force? If they had to choose they would not goto work but they make minimum wage and they need whatever they can to make ends meet. Don't put these people on a pedestal, the minute they had the opportunity to take CERB they jumped ship.
You appear to be fighting a different battle, something along the lines of "People work to get paid so they can make ends meet, not out of the goodness of their hearts" which is absolutely true and bolsters my point. People work to get paid and based on their income could not survive without a regular paycheck. On top of that, most of the people in this category don't have the luxury of working from home. My comment was in response to someone saying that 2 weeks of quarantine would not have a financial impact because everyone can work from home, which simply isn't true. Motive aside, you can't buy anything or access most services that you need to maintain your quality of life without people going into a workplace, so maybe try treating them with respect instead of A) insinuating they are all lazy welfare cases or B) going all Karen on them in the grocery store because they ask you wear a mask or because they can't magically produce another sold out 40 pack of TP for you to keep stacking in the spare bedroom (I know the conversation never went here, but since we are making assumptions about people...)

To take it back to the deal - came within millimeters of pulling the trigger when I realized I would probably be bored out of my mind on this trip. Not really a 7 day beach only person which seems to be what this would be about. Good deal none the less for those that got in on it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3345 posts
1416 upvotes
Scarborough
Lone_Prodigy wrote: Not everyone can just make more money or get a better job on a whim. Nor can everyone take paid sick leave if they have a cough. CERB isn't only lazy kids sitting around at home instead of flipping burgers at McDonald's. It's the single mother who has to stay home to look after her children because schools are closed. It's the working family staying home so they don't go out and spread the virus at home to their elderly parents. By limiting exposure and cases, healthcare workers aren't overwhelmed.
It's kinda what I said in a different context further proving my point. Either they go to work because they have to or they stay home because they have to as well. Choosing to stay home to eliminate exposure is only possible based on two options;
a) You have enough money to survive without collecting CERB
b) You eliminate exposure and collect CERB

Susanclark wrote: Well I make over a 100k a year and have rental income as well, so we are not hurting for money, my wife works in our small towns grocer and they had the option of taking a leave if they wanted, she did not, she continued working. A few people did take leave and that left them short handed, so my 17 year old daughter that was laid off from Dairy Queen and doing school online, could have collected CERB and went instead to work part time to help out the grocery store, in all reality, she would have more money collecting CERB, but unlike your dim view of worker bees, plenty of people stepped up and worked anyway. Now that's not to say people were foolish to collect CERB, the government bungled that, giving way too much and clawing back after one makes $1000, should have just fallen under traditional EI system and compensation values...
She continued working because she wouldn't be able to collect CERB based on your income and she probably likes to work at the grocer to keep herself busy. This has nothing to do with helping out anyone. Your daughter on the other hand kudos to her, she probably wants to work but again, these are all options that are not given to other people or cannot afford to leave work or go on CERB. I assume your daughter lives at home with you guys? That makes things a lot easier for her
Member
Aug 18, 2016
236 posts
297 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: It's kinda what I said in a different context further proving my point. Either they go to work because they have to or they stay home because they have to as well. Choosing to stay home to eliminate exposure is only possible based on two options;
a) You have enough money to survive without collecting CERB
b) You eliminate exposure and collect CERB




She continued working because she wouldn't be able to collect CERB based on your income and she probably likes to work at the grocer to keep herself busy. This has nothing to do with helping out anyone. Your daughter on the other hand kudos to her, she probably wants to work but again, these are all options that are not given to other people or cannot afford to leave work or go on CERB. I assume your daughter lives at home with you guys? That makes things a lot easier for her
Do you know how CERB works, it has absolutely nothing to do with family income. I could make a million dollars a year and my wife could still collect it for herself. As for my daughter living at home has nothing to do with any point I made. If anything it would be easier for her to have stayed home and collect CERB. She choose to work and help out in our small community because the grocery store was struggling to stay open due to lack of staff, corporate were going to ship temps up from Toronto, which seemed like a bad idea as they had the most cases. Anyway, your ignorance of the whole thing is apparent from your comment about my income affecting my wife collecting CERB, so this will be my last response.
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2019
146 posts
210 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: Choosing to stay home to eliminate exposure is only possible based on two options;
a) You have enough money to survive without collecting CERB
b) You eliminate exposure and collect CERB
You know you can't just choose to collect CERB right? If you are still employed you can't just quit and collect, have to be forced out of work.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3345 posts
1416 upvotes
Scarborough
Susanclark wrote: Do you know how CERB works, it has absolutely nothing to do with family income. I could make a million dollars a year and my wife could still collect it for herself. As for my daughter living at home has nothing to do with any point I made. If anything it would be easier for her to have stayed home and collect CERB. She choose to work and help out in our small community because the grocery store was struggling to stay open due to lack of staff, corporate were going to ship temps up from Toronto, which seemed like a bad idea as they had the most cases. Anyway, your ignorance of the whole thing is apparent from your comment about my income affecting my wife collecting CERB, so this will be my last response.
Something doesn't add up. Your wife and daughter could be at home collecting CERB but choose to work and risk their lives because they felt bad for the company? Even though the company had a plan to bring people from Toronto? And you assumed every one from Toronto has COVID so it's the best interest of your wife and kid to step up to the plate and work? How flattering!

So now I know the type of person you are, you boast about your income and now you wanna boast about your family being generous to the community. Do every one a favor and keep your loved ones at home, working minimum wage for no necessity is borderline greedy.


mybadreligon wrote: You know you can't just choose to collect CERB right? If you are still employed you can't just quit and collect, have to be forced out of work.
So I'm not sure if you're aware but you are allowed to take time off work for reasons related to covid, such as caring for a family member or having a medical condition that would increase the risk of you getting infected. None of those reasons require proof and the employer has the obligation to accommodate you. It's called a Leave of Absence and CERB pays out. It's not fraud or illegal it's just the way it works. You don't have to believe me I am just telling you what's been happening.
Jr. Member
Jan 13, 2019
146 posts
210 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: So I'm not sure if you're aware but you are allowed to take time off work for reasons related to covid, such as caring for a family member or having a medical condition that would increase the risk of you getting infected. None of those reasons require proof and the employer has the obligation to accommodate you. It's called a Leave of Absence and CERB pays out. It's not fraud or illegal it's just the way it works. You don't have to believe me I am just telling you what's been happening.
I don't understand your argument anymore. First you said that these people don't deserve respect because their financial situation forces them to work and would just take CERB instead if they could. Now you are saying its so easy to get CERB that anyone can do it?

Not going to argue anymore because it appears you assume people who make less than you are slackers, since even though nearly every retail store is open you are convinced there is some massive number of people at home collecting CERB. I'm sure there are people abusing the system though I don't know any personally. I KNOW there is a huge number of people working that cannot work from home. I see them everyday at stores, and the even more work unseen allowing product to be on the shelves.

Have a good day and try to keep positive about your fellow humans motivations, you'll be happier for it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 9, 2013
3345 posts
1416 upvotes
Scarborough
mybadreligon wrote: I don't understand your argument anymore. First you said that these people don't deserve respect because their financial situation forces them to work and would just take CERB instead if they could. Now you are saying its so easy to get CERB that anyone can do it?
People would and are taking CERB if it means making the same or slightly less for staying at home and not moving a finger, there is also people who go on CERB instead of work to collect their $500 and work cash jobs on the side. Then I also said it's easy to get on CERB because as I explained in my previous post, reasons why someone would go on CERB. The government made it very convenient and easy for people to be off work and collect a paycheck to eliminate risk and exposure. What's wrong with that?

Now, if you're questioning my comments with regards to the gentleman who makes $100K/year plus his side rental income and why his wife decides to keep working in a grocery store for minimum wage and put herself at risk, then that's because it's their choice but I still stand by my comments. People need to stop worrying about other people's place of business and let them figure it out. The husband and wife are worried about calling employees from Toronto to work at the grocery store so she takes the initiative to work instead to eliminate the exposure. For a couple that worries about getting exposure from outside people from Toronto she sure as heck doesn't worry about her own health in working and getting exposed herself. That speaks volumes about how people think about society.

Perhaps my comments weren't necessary, neither was boasting about a$100K income either, just saying.

Top