Treadmill purchase advice

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:57 pm
[OP]
May 16, 2018
2 posts

Treadmill purchase advice

Hi

As a first time buyer I was looking for a cheaper treadmill, at around $1000 and I found this one at a big retail store: Horizon CT9.3 which is exactly $1000

The treadmill is new of course but the model from what I notice is from 2013, do you think that would be an issue?

Also it has a 2.5HP motor, could that handle jogging and sometimes running a few times a week?

I'd love to hear your advice, thank you!
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8951 posts
2852 upvotes
What is the warranty like? parts and labour
Discomfort is your friend
Oct 3, 2006
113 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
MellowD9 wrote: Hi

As a first time buyer I was looking for a cheaper treadmill, at around $1000 and I found this one at a big retail store: Horizon CT9.3 which is exactly $1000

The treadmill is new of course but the model from what I notice is from 2013, do you think that would be an issue?

Also it has a 2.5HP motor, could that handle jogging and sometimes running a few times a week?

I'd love to hear your advice, thank you!
Also looking for advice on a treadmill purchase... can I ask where you saw this price?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3772 posts
690 upvotes
Newbury, ON
The Norditrack C1750 is on sale at Canadian Tire for $1800. this seems a real good price and its a well built machine. Big turn off is the iFit software that is the core of the machine.
Not for me. its free the first year, then you have to pay. if you don't want to pay $39/month - then it still works in 'manual' but very limited mode.

But this got me searching for a non-iFit treadmill, as I just want to get on and choose a simple program and run. I have a tv and music nearby to keep me entertained.
Horizon T303 seems to fit the bill, the CT9.3 at canadian tire might be an older model T202? The Solo T77 at Costco also looks good (but a bit expensive) - I wish they had the F80 as it is fold-able vs the F77 which is not.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3772 posts
690 upvotes
Newbury, ON
Going down the treadmill rabbit hole... The Horizon T303 is a good basic treadmill, but only has a few pre-programmed settings. The solo is the Toyota of treadmills, well built but basic (only 10 pre-programmed settings) and some meh design choices (a fan that is a joke). Looking at what makes a good treadmill gets you to the $2k range fast.

20" x 60" running area - anything less makes it harder for running/longer legs 22" x 60" is optimum
roller size - over 2" is good for quiet and long life
3.0 CHP motor at least for running and longer distance walking.
18 mm pad depth minimum for longer life, 25mm and up is better and more shock absorbing

This eventually led me down the path of Lifespan brand - made in Utah with good customer service (NordicTrack has virtually non-existent customer service)
With over 50 pre-progammed settings - this resembles many of the gym treadmills and doesn't require a monthly fee.

Finding stock can be fun - many like solo/horizon have nothing until late October. The pricey ones tend to have stock over the cheaper sub-$2k models.
Jul 2, 2009
51 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
Digging up this thread as I'm also in the market. I was actually leaning towards the Nordictrack C 1750, as it also has preloaded workouts. Be careful with the Crappy Tire model, they seem to have been selling the older one with the 7" screen. I have my eye out for the 10" screen.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3772 posts
690 upvotes
Newbury, ON
I went to the solo website on the day they offered to sell some models... I could not refresh fast enough and F80 OoO within minutes.
Canadian Lifespan website has a fake shopping cart that doesn't actually do anything.
I'm going for a life fitness model now, they have the "random" mode that I desire that seems impossible to find on consumer models (I used that feature all the time at the gym)

I've seen many conflicting reviews of the C1750/C2400 that say the preloaded ones are great and others say they are confusing as hell to find with a busted search feature.
Jul 2, 2009
51 posts
1 upvote
Calgary, AB
There is supposed to be ~35-50 pre programmed settings on the C1750, I see conflicting info on this. I think the big problem is it will be very difficult to find any sales with COVID and everyone buying up fitness equipment.
Apr 20, 2020
89 posts
42 upvotes
I am looking for something basic in Calgary. The Horizon T303 is what I am thinking but stock is the issue.
Anyone else have ideas or something similar in stock in Calgary?