Real Estate

Treasure Hill Trendi Towns in Markham good builder?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2019 10:26 pm
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
17 posts
2 upvotes
Markham

Treasure Hill Trendi Towns in Markham good builder?

Me and my wife dropped by their sales office in Markham 16th/Mccowan last weekend and they are at Phase 3 already.
We like their 3 stories + finished basement homes around 2300-2500 ft (basement included) but we want some advices.
They are priced from 900k to 1.1 mil depends on the models + $130/month mainteinance fee. Budget is around 1mil (current home + mortage + cash)
1. Is Treasure Hill a decent builder?
2. Do you think the price and maintenance fee is justified?

https://www.treasurehill.com/new-homes/ ... owns/#main

Also there is Richmond Hill that we are looking at, like Richmond Green, but from the other threads it seems Conservatory Group has terrible quality. So I am very iffy about it.
http://www.conservatorygroup.com/commun ... hmondgreen

And the ones at Observatory Hill is a little over budget (4 beds, 3000 ft, 1.3 mil+)
https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/ca/observatory-hill

(I did a forum search and there is no specific thread about this builder so I decided to start a post, i hope it is okay. Your help is much appreciated!)
69 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 29, 2008
8270 posts
3286 upvotes
I'd say Treasure HIll is better than Conservatory Group. I don't know anyone who has bought from them though. Look at their existing projects and google around and see if there have been any issues. I looked at Trendi Towns as well. It's a pretty good package they offer. The maintenance fees are fine. You don't want to live in a townhouse where it truly is freehold and the place looks like shit because there is 0 upkeep. I'd rather spend the extra money and have them look after snow ploying, lawn mowing, and just general upkeep of the development. Trust me that is money well spent. Will help when you sell.

I refuse to ever buy anything from Conservatory Group.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3109 posts
482 upvotes
First, why are you looking at new construction right now? In the Richmond Green area, I would expect a number of resale opportunities (Mattamy on the west, other guys on the east side by Costco) to come up as they get finished over the next few months.

Second, as far as location goes, do you think there's a difference in location? IIRC the closest green space is next to the church on the east side (there's also a church north of the development). I don't know if they have done anything to the park but on google maps, it's literally just green space and a basketball court. When I grew up, parks/green space weren't that important but my parents had a back yard! So.. it's up to you about how much you value that location and green space.
Nov 10, 2017
526 posts
286 upvotes
Their postal code will have access to some of the top ranking schools in Ontario (based on today's boundary and rankings)
Dec 30, 2012
872 posts
924 upvotes
Toronto
I can’t speak to the builder, but I would steer clear of Markham.

Richmond Hill, Thornhill, and Maple are better options.

In Markham most schools devote much of their budget to ESL programming. Your kids will enjoy greater diversity in the areas I mentioned above.
Nov 10, 2017
526 posts
286 upvotes
Steer all the way out of this country. Canada is blessed.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
17 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Guys thank you so much for the quick reply! Both my wife and I work in Richmond Hill (Hwy 7/Leslie Area). And we currently living in a smaller town home in Markham already. We plan to have a children or two in a few years so we want to try our best to get a slightly or better house/environment for the future of the family. We are okay with living in both RH/Markham but dont want to go too far East or North (eg Cornell, or Newmarket)

I have read some of the threads here about resale vs pre-con. It seems like a lot of you guys suggest buying resale and renovate it vs buying new. I am not quite sure what to do, but for now Treasure Hill Trendi in Markham looks pretty promising to me, altho the price could have been a bit less aggressive. (They are selling their 3 beds, 2500 ft end unit at 1.3 mil, which i think is ridiculous for its lot size)

Lets keep this discussion going as we are very likely to make a decision and buy something by this year! Exciting but a lot of think about :P
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8538 posts
6095 upvotes
Markham
Wouldn't it be better served for you to buy in a better location around 16th and Kennedy, buy a traditional townhouse entirely freehold for around 900k that is only 4 years old. It's also zoned for a better school, and much more prime than going out to McCown and 16th. Heck if you want to improve your budget to just a sliver over a mil, you can get a semi in the 16th and Kennedy area.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
17 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Anikiri wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 12:38 pm
Wouldn't it be better served for you to buy in a better location around 16th and Kennedy, buy a traditional townhouse entirely freehold for around 900k that is only 4 years old. It's also zoned for a better school, and much more prime than going out to McCown and 16th. Heck if you want to improve your budget to just a sliver over a mil, you can get a semi in the 16th and Kennedy area.
What are the best schools in that area? I am planning to get my kids to go to a public elementary school that has french immersion program. I wont have the luxury of private schools so it seems like that's the next best thing.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8538 posts
6095 upvotes
Markham
Richhirau wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 12:53 pm
What are the best schools in that area? I am planning to get my kids to go to a public elementary school that has french immersion program. I wont have the luxury of private schools so it seems like that's the next best thing.
By far the best school here is PET, which is a french immersion school. Everyone and their dogs buy in this area to go to that school. But that's a secondary school. The closest elementary french immersion is like... pretty far lol. Out west near Woodbine I think.
Dec 7, 2012
2 posts
5 upvotes
Concord
Just FYI this portion of the development is NOT in PET's school zone, even though their brochure and the sales agent says so. We checked with yrdsb and the school, and you can check the boundary map too. PET is only up to west side of McCowan, this is located on the east side. The school is actually Bur Oak high, which is still a good school, but I would be pissed if I found out about this later.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5314 posts
2393 upvotes
Thornhill
Unless you have your mind set on a new build, may I suggest you keep an eye out in Thornhill/Royal Orchard where renovated, better quality on a larger lot is going for less than $1.3 million or if it's in need of updating for much great prices. And location is a bonus considering it's just around the corner from where you are now.
Richhirau wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 12:34 pm
Guys thank you so much for the quick reply! Both my wife and I work in Richmond Hill (Hwy 7/Leslie Area). And we currently living in a smaller town home in Markham already. We plan to have a children or two in a few years so we want to try our best to get a slightly or better house/environment for the future of the family. We are okay with living in both RH/Markham but dont want to go too far East or North (eg Cornell, or Newmarket)

I have read some of the threads here about resale vs pre-con. It seems like a lot of you guys suggest buying resale and renovate it vs buying new. I am not quite sure what to do, but for now Treasure Hill Trendi in Markham looks pretty promising to me, altho the price could have been a bit less aggressive. (They are selling their 3 beds, 2500 ft end unit at 1.3 mil, which i think is ridiculous for its lot size)

Lets keep this discussion going as we are very likely to make a decision and buy something by this year! Exciting but a lot of think about :P
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
17 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Wow thanks I checked again as you said. I cant believe i missed it. Cant believe PET is so close but Trendi Towns is not in their school boundary. :O
HCsquared wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 3:32 pm
Just FYI this portion of the development is NOT in PET's school zone, even though their brochure and the sales agent says so. We checked with yrdsb and the school, and you can check the boundary map too. PET is only up to west side of McCowan, this is located on the east side. The school is actually Bur Oak high, which is still a good school, but I would be pissed if I found out about this later.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3109 posts
482 upvotes
Richhirau wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 12:34 pm
Have you been to the model home or seen the floor plans? I didn't like how there were so many small spaces in those homes.

In either case, I presume you're all over bungol, house sigma etc.. to see what the going rate for resale homes is. $900k -$1.2M can get you a lot more now than it did 2 years ago. And you won't have to deal with construction risk.
[OP]
Apr 26, 2017
17 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
poorwingman wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 7:53 pm
Have you been to the model home or seen the floor plans? I didn't like how there were so many small spaces in those homes.

In either case, I presume you're all over bungol, house sigma etc.. to see what the going rate for resale homes is. $900k -$1.2M can get you a lot more now than it did 2 years ago. And you won't have to deal with construction risk.
Yah we have. What u said it's true because the interior is only 17 feet wide. Their open kitchen + dining area is quite nice and open, but the other living areas are quite small. However its still a significant upgrade to our current townhome we live in, our living area and kitchen are only at 12 feet wide. And our 3 rooms currently are also smaller. Of coz who doesnt want to go big but the pre-con towns/semi in RH/Markham that has bigger 20 ft + lots are at least 1.3-1.5 mil which is outrageous! We only got 1mil total and maybe another 100k but thats about it. Going to take a look at Richmond Green/Observatory Hill and other resale homes in the area tomorrrow. Wish me luck!