Pets

Treats you used for your puppy training?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2021 7:20 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2008
47 posts
27 upvotes
Burlington

Treats you used for your puppy training?

Wondering what treats people have used to start training 8-10 week old puppy?

- Did you use a variety of different treats?
- How small is the portion size?
- A daily limit (by weight?) you kept to?
- Did you use it in conjunction with a clicker?
3 replies
Aug 18, 2019
298 posts
219 upvotes
1. Yes variety but choose ones that can be broken down into smaller pieces for training + tricks. I boil chicken breasts too n cut into small chunks to use as nutritious, cheap, tasty treats! And to give her when shes feeling down after vaccinations, etc.
2. Depends on size of dog and it's up to you. I have 4 m/o female maltipoo and give her tiny bit sizes for training
3. Only TIME limit of ~5 mins per training session to a max of ~15 mins per day to give her treats when she does tricks and potties on right spots n give her small pieces so she's not full on treats. No PORTION limit for me.
4. No just voice commands+ praises for me but you can. I know others who do so

My Maltipoo can do roll, sit, shake paw, stand and down for now. Next trick will be to PRAY Person With Folded Hands Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
~ 👍teslanaire2bitcoinaireButStillCheapLurking@RFDForDeals✌️~
May 3, 2003
410 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
My doggie is quite responsive to the freeze-dried trainers such as: https://www.petvalu.com/ca/product/mini ... FCM04085CA

They're so tiny that you can feed a couple dozen to your dog without worrying about overfeeding (in terms of calories). Not exactly cheap but the portions are so small, they last a long time. My 4ozs might last my dog's entire training.
Mar 17, 2006
617 posts
329 upvotes
You can even use their own kibble (food they eat) as treats. Puppies that age are usually hungry all the time, so you won't need to do too much convincing.