• May 21st, 2020 5:45 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 1, 2020
368 posts
143 upvotes
GTA West

Tree brown at top... What to do?

Green thumb RFDers, i need your advice please...

Just noticed that our Bosnian pine tree (around 5-6 feet in height) has Browning needles near the top... I'd say around 1 foot area from the top... The sides/lower part are green... Bark seems ok.and not peeling (I read peeling bark is a sign of a dead tree)

There are pine cones that sprouted on the brown needles (eg the top that might be dead?) but I also read that doesn't indicate anything (eg even dead ones would have pine cones).

I just noticed it as a neighbor said it is dead... I read articles that said it MAY be dead or just due to "weathering" as we just came out of winter... What can one effectively do right now while waiting (without having to call for an arborist, obviously)? Eg water more? Less? Chop off dead part?

Many thanks
4 replies
Sep 15, 2017
421 posts
382 upvotes
Saskatoon
look into pine needle scale... is currently a problem with a few of my trees, they are being treated in a week or two when they hatch. its made the tree look dead in parts.
Aug 29, 2019
599 posts
255 upvotes
We really need pictures for these kind of questions.
[OP]
Mar 1, 2020
368 posts
143 upvotes
GTA West
Thanks guys... I'll look into potential pine needle scale.... Is that professionally treated or a DIY buy your own treatment?
I'll try to get a pic but I gotta learn to upload in RFD first, let alone attach files LOL (sorry old fogey here just learning RFD basics stilL)
Aug 29, 2019
599 posts
255 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: Thanks guys... I'll look into potential pine needle scale.... Is that professionally treated or a DIY buy your own treatment?
I'll try to get a pic but I gotta learn to upload in RFD first, let alone attach files LOL (sorry old fogey here just learning RFD basics stilL)
A picture is very prudent in this situation. Of the entire tree and a very close one of the browning needle will help.