None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1779 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto

Tree replacement species option

I have a pretty much dead tree on city property in Mississauga. I am about to fill out the form for a replacement, but it says that they choose the species of tree and the exact planting spot.
Wondering if it's possible at all to request a species of your choice ?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
In all likelihood they have a list of native trees you can choose from.

So you can pick something you want. That said, if all the trees on your street are one kind, don't pick that kind. Only a certain number of the same type of trees should be planted in a row.
Jan 21, 2011
816 posts
337 upvotes
GTA
Honestly, I would almost be tempted to plant the tree myself if at all possible. That’s hoping you can choose whatever you want. The tree at my last house was one of the reasons I wanted to move, it was a nice tall healthy tree, but situated too close to the driveway. There was no sense in washing my cars and bees would hang out on them no matter where I went.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9535 posts
2153 upvotes
Somewhere
If you do, pick one with large leaves. My next door neighbor has a tree with tiny tiny leaves, and it makes raking very difficult.
:confused:
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1670 posts
322 upvotes
I live in an old neighborhood from the 40’s our street is lined with beautiful elm trees, but over the years some of the trees were lost either due to storms or illness.
But instead of the city replacing these elms, they just keep planting maydays, hawthorns or ornamental crab apples.
I asked them why, they’re answer was they wanted to diversify the urban forest with different species of trees.
These old elms give the best street canopy and they are beautiful, they are messy but I love them.
May 15, 2020
121 posts
73 upvotes
Thornhill ON
I have a friend in Richmond Hill who planted his own trees on his corner lot and the city forced him to remove them. I know for sure the clash involved the type of trees but cant remember if they also argued about spot selection. He lost.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
rotjong wrote: I live in an old neighborhood from the 40’s our street is lined with beautiful elm trees, but over the years some of the trees were lost either due to storms or illness.
But instead of the city replacing these elms, they just keep planting maydays, hawthorns or ornamental crab apples.
I asked them why, they’re answer was they wanted to diversify the urban forest with different species of trees.
These old elms give the best street canopy and they are beautiful, they are messy but I love them.
They will not plant elms anymore because of Dutch elm disease. They do have a beautiful umbellifer shape, but they are too prone to die of the illness.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1140 posts
1285 upvotes
Just planted a greenspire linden in the front from Connon nurseries. Really nice tree and you can pick exactly what you want. Just make sure to plant it on your property and not city property so they can't try to claim it as city property.
<signature length too long>
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
^ there are some really nice flowering trees in that list like cucumber, tulip, northern catalpa & black locust trees. Ginko is also a nice one with bright gold colour in the fall & eventually it makes nuts you can eat. Slow grower like the black locust, though.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3011 posts
1759 upvotes
Mississauga
When I requested city of Mississauga to plant a tree in front of my home (old tree was probably dead and cut by previous owners), the city did not give me any option to chose from. They planted ornamental pear. I have seen the city plantint a lot of these on streets around my home.