• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2021 6:45 pm
87 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16130 posts
2499 upvotes
GTA
what/how are you guys using these small ones for? (don't just say networking please)

edit: added "just" cuz some of you don't understand basic networking
Last edited by actng on Feb 11th, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2768 posts
3484 upvotes
Calgary
actng wrote: what/how are you guys using these small ones for? (don't say networking please)
I don't understand the question. If it's not used for networking, what else would you use it for? (don't say sexy time please)
Mar 3, 2006
483 posts
128 upvotes
actng wrote: what/how are you guys using these small ones for? (don't say networking please)
to exchange 0 and 1 between network card...
Sep 22, 2010
494 posts
488 upvotes
Victoria
Ummm...networking is what switches do. What do you use them for if not networking? For smaller ones like this, how about behind the TV, or in a small office. Size doesn't always matter ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2012
2043 posts
281 upvotes
- GREENnet technology reduces power consumption when:
- Based on Ethernet cable length
yeah no, spend another $5 and get a proper switch
Dec 5, 2004
433 posts
463 upvotes
Family room - 1) television, 2) amazon firetv, 3) cable box, 4) kids hardwired with school
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2768 posts
3484 upvotes
Calgary
roggers wrote: yeah no, spend another $5 and get a proper switch
I have a Trendnet switch going on 10 years plus with no issues. What makes a proper switch?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4569 posts
1582 upvotes
I current have 3 switches in use:

In the Family Room on the main floor at the back of the house - Asus 5 Port GX-D1051 V3 (connected to a CAT7 that I ran from the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections to my two Unlocked Android Boxes and Denon Receiver

In the Basement - D-Link 8 Port DGS-1008G D2 (connected to the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections of the builder pre-wired ethernet cables in the home.
In the Basement - D-Link 5 Port DGS-1005G E1 (connected to a CAT7 that I ran from the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections for my home office (to be relocated from the second floor) and my future entertainment area (which would consist of a Smart TV (wired), desktop (for streaming) and a secondary Home Theatre system

I don't use Trendnet or TP-Link.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
2699 posts
1871 upvotes
Lol.
iamalittlepepper wrote: Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote: you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
3593 posts
2309 upvotes
Vancouver
Used for home networking of course.

If you're using these for any commercial purpose, you should know better.
Oct 9, 2019
126 posts
62 upvotes
Need one but gonna skip because of Canada computers.
If this was Amazon I would be all over it.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2952 posts
1555 upvotes
jdmfishingonly wrote: I current have 3 switches in use:

In the Family Room on the main floor at the back of the house - Asus 5 Port GX-D1051 V3 (connected to a CAT7 that I ran from the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections to my two Unlocked Android Boxes and Denon Receiver

In the Basement - D-Link 8 Port DGS-1008G D2 (connected to the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections of the builder pre-wired ethernet cables in the home.
In the Basement - D-Link 5 Port DGS-1005G E1 (connected to a CAT7 that I ran from the Bell Home Hub 3000 modem) ... used to split connections for my home office (to be relocated from the second floor) and my future entertainment area (which would consist of a Smart TV (wired), desktop (for streaming) and a secondary Home Theatre system

I don't use Trendnet or TP-Link.
How do you ground the cat7? It seems like neither the HH, the Asus nor the d-link has rj45 jacks with ground.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
[OP]
Feb 3, 2012
276 posts
148 upvotes
T.O.
Hooked up the 8 port switch and it's working good, connected at 1000 Mbps to all my devices on the main floor - htpc, mybooklive, tv, main pc. Can't complain for $20, no more slow and erratic WiFi connection.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6484 posts
6278 upvotes
Care to explain what you mean?

These are consumer grade switches, they work perfectly well for years in that role. What is $5 more going to get you?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6484 posts
6278 upvotes
ZipSpeed wrote: I have a Trendnet switch going on 10 years plus with no issues. What makes a proper switch?
I got nothing, I think OP is lost.

The only thing I could see is if you want a managed switch, but for most home users that's a pretty unnecessary expense.

For the few home users that DO want something more 'advanced' than a basic unmanaged switch, one of those 'partially' managed switches, like the Easy Smart line from TP-Link will probably fit the bill (allows for VLAN stuff, port mirroring, and other things that might be useful), but you don't get that for $5 more.
Feb 22, 2013
940 posts
788 upvotes
ttiger wrote: Family room - 1) television, 2) amazon firetv, 3) cable box, 4) kids hardwired with school
That must be a long cable between your home and your kids’ school.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
6484 posts
6278 upvotes
simplypop wrote: Can printers be connected by Ethernet ?
Certainly. Many printers come with Ethernet ports. Those that don't? You can easily set up a Raspberry Pi as a printer server.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2005
2201 posts
2837 upvotes
Toronto
this one specifically does layer 2 traffic, smarter than a hub, dumber than a router.