Shopping Discussion

Triangle rewards-anyone found a way around not being able to redeem for gift cards?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2020 6:00 pm
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
433 posts
227 upvotes

Triangle rewards-anyone found a way around not being able to redeem for gift cards?

Their fine print about the program explain how you can't redeem rewards for certain things including gift cards which I assume also means gift cards for other stores... Has any one discovered a way around this?

My second thought was as statement credit for my triangle MasterCard, which I've discovered is also not allowed.

Just was curious if anyone has discovered any ways

I did a search and nothing came up of an already existing thread about this program... But if there is and I've missed it please feel free to direct me to it, thank you! Slightly Smiling Face
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14580 posts
11784 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pawprints86 wrote: Their fine print about the program explain how you can't redeem rewards for certain things including gift cards which I assume also means gift cards for other stores... Has any one discovered a way around this?

My second thought was as statement credit for my triangle MasterCard, which I've discovered is also not allowed.

Just was curious if anyone has discovered any ways

I did a search and nothing came up of an already existing thread about this program... But if there is and I've missed it please feel free to direct me to it, thank you! Slightly Smiling Face
Short answer
NO

And highly unlikely you will find a work around

As many Loyalty Rewards Program gave up the ghost for a Points to GC INSTORE Trade
After so many Loyalty Programs were robbed / scammed out of their GCs on these transactions in the 2015 to 2017 timeframe

GCs is now big business for thieves & scammers
There are lots of such threads here on RFD

You’ll learn more in the about the CT Triangle Rewards Program
In the RFD Official thread on it here

canadian-tires-triangle-rewards-discuss ... d-2194867/

Which is also where the Mods will prob end up moving your Question to
In order to keep things on the same topic easy to find
Last edited by PointsHubby on Jan 25th, 2020 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
433 posts
227 upvotes
Hmm I'm not sure... To look up in that thread you shared, people are worried about buying gift cards and getting ct money on the transaction... Nobody's looking to use already existing points to buy gift cards so this may be different enough of a post?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14580 posts
11784 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
pawprints86 wrote: Hmm I'm not sure... To look up in that thread you shared, people are worried about buying gift cards and getting ct money on the transaction... Nobody's looking to use already existing points to buy gift cards so this may be different enough of a post?
You missed my point ...

That is it is the Primary Discussion thread on RFD for ALL things related to the Cdn Tire Triangle Rewards Program

As to your original question, the answer lies in the Programs T&Cs
https://triangle.canadiantire.ca/en/program-rules.html
eCTM cannot be redeemed for alcohol, tobacco, gift cards, pre-paid cards, other stored value cards or products, items that we designate on the Program Website and those items which the law does not permit to be purchased this way, or used to make a payment on any Canadian Tire Bank issued credit cards or on loans or for financial or insurance products or in respect of fees or overdraft on any Canadian Tire Bank provided bank account.
Sorry ... to date, I don’t believe anyone has found a work around
(same for other popular programs ... like PC Optimum. NO POINTS FOR PLASTIC )
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
9019 posts
10450 upvotes
Vancouver
Not gonna happen. Canadian Tire wants you to redeem for merchandise only. Redeeming for gift cards costs CT the full value of the gift card. Redeeming for merchandise costs them only the wholesale value of what they paid for the product. The only way to turn eCTM into cash is to redeem for something and then sell it privately. Bonus redemption events on Apple Watch and other tech stuff at Sport Chek are a popular way.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2206 posts
629 upvotes
Whitehorse
Is there a way to convert eCTm to CTM?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2017
433 posts
227 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: You missed my point ...

As to your original question, the answer lies in the Programs T&Cs
https://triangle.canadiantire.ca/en/program-rules.html

Sorry ... to date, I don’t believe anyone has found a work around
I knew what the official rules are... But just wondered re work arounds

But I never thought about merch at cost vs profit. I guess that does make sense

Still a little strange you can't get statement credit like a cash back card but... Not the end of the world