[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1791 posts
898 upvotes
Alberta

Triangle Rewards price matching?

Hi guys,

Random question. Recently bought $650 bucks worth of stuff at Canadian Tire, and a week later they have a 30x rewards offer. I haven't opened any of the stuff yet that I bought (a vacuum and a heater) and was wondering if Canadian Tire does any kind of matching to their own bonus rewards, or what stops me from just going and buying this stuff again on the day at 30x the points, and then return it with the old receipt? Normally I wouldn't care, but it's like $55 dollar difference in bonus points vs my original purchase. Just wondering.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16265 posts
13568 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
eblend wrote: Hi guys,

Random question. Recently bought $650 bucks worth of stuff at Canadian Tire, and a week later they have a 30x rewards offer. I haven't opened any of the stuff yet that I bought (a vacuum and a heater) and was wondering if Canadian Tire does any kind of matching to their own bonus rewards, or what stops me from just going and buying this stuff again on the day at 30x the points, and then return it with the old receipt? Normally I wouldn't care, but it's like $55 dollar difference in bonus points vs my original purchase. Just wondering.
Well you can certainly try ...

BUT you should probably read this RFD thread first

warning-canadian-tire-return-policy-ope ... s-1623859/

Cuz it might put the kibosh on your idea of doing returns at Cdn Tire to garner the better price / promo
Truth is ...
Cdn Tire can be EXTREMELY Finicky when it comes to Returns

You can read their Policy here:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/customer ... turns.html

We are happy with Cdn Tire’s Triangle Rewards Program ... made back a fair bit of cash there since May 2018 when the Program launched

And we are generally speaking quite happy with the Store / Retailer too (many are not)

BUT ... we’ve learned over the years how to play the game there to get the most out of the situation

KNOW THY PRICES

Don’t buy unless it’s truly a good price
Look for opportunities where you can STACK a sale price with Bonus Points / Multipliers
Inspect the item BEFORE you buy ... as chances are low for Returns, Refunds or Exchanges

And if you are indeed a regular Customer ... look at cultivating a relationship with the store manager ... often they’ll tell you that the expensive item you are contemplating will be on sale in an upcoming flyer (they seem to know almost a month in advance from HQ)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1791 posts
898 upvotes
Alberta
Weird, I never had any problems with my Canadian Tire, and I don't hate on the retailer like many seem to either. Never had any issues with them. Returned a few things over time, nothing major, just something didn't work out as expected or whatever. The items I have are still sealed, so nothing opened. The vacuum I wanted was $100 off so I went for it, but it's still $100 off and bonus points, so that's why I am asking. Normally I pretty much only buy when things are on sale, but didn't want to miss the sale price on the vacuum so pulled the trigger outside of the promo stack.
Dec 22, 2007
768 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga

just return and rebuy it
Dec 15, 2006
953 posts
555 upvotes
Ottawa

Rebuy, then return a set of unopened items with old receipt.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16265 posts
13568 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
eblend wrote: Weird, I never had any problems with my Canadian Tire, and I don't hate on the retailer like many seem to either. Never had any issues with them. Returned a few things over time, nothing major, just something didn't work out as expected or whatever. The items I have are still sealed, so nothing opened. The vacuum I wanted was $100 off so I went for it, but it's still $100 off and bonus points, so that's why I am asking. Normally I pretty much only buy when things are on sale, but didn't want to miss the sale price on the vacuum so pulled the trigger outside of the promo stack.
Honestly...

Same here, in my 50+ years of shopping at Cdn Tire
I’ve never had an issue either

Always had good luck with our small town / local community stores & getting know the Store Mgr

Maybe though it’s cuz the company’s changing, or the shoppers are

Recently was in one of the largest Cdn Tires in Canada
And it was nice ...
But it certainly wasn’t the place “round the corner” I grew up with
Where as a kid you got your toboggan, first skates, first bike
And eventually stuff for your first car, and first house

Then again, maybe that’s why I am brand loyal
They’ve treated me right all these years
And I certainly don’t disrespect our relationship
Been nothing but the ideal Customer

So it’s been a fair & equitable two way street
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1791 posts
898 upvotes
Alberta
Update. Went in today and bought everything again, walked out of the store and came right back in with the old receipt. Lady asked why I was returning, said to take advantage of the deal, and she returned it all under the old return. All in, as a few items were further on sale, I came out $85 ahead. Felt uncomfortable doing it, but happy it all worked out.