• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 11:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1748 posts
848 upvotes

Tricky Crown Molding Suggestion

I'm going to renovate this bedroom and the plan was to remove the popcorn ceiling and add crown molding but after planning it out I realized I have this odd vaulted ceiling thats just at the one front window. I'm not sure the best way to transition from the regular ceiling to this vaulted section or best practice on how to finish this section. Anyone have advice on what you would do?

This shows the regular part of the ceiling to the right and the vaulted portion to the left.
20201107_095821.jpg

This is more or less looking straight up with the transition area on the left.
20201107_095829.jpg

Here is a short video of the area. May be easier to understand.
https://streamable.com/tge9le
4 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
11369 posts
2833 upvotes
Kingston
I'd continue the crown moulding straight to the windowed wall. It will be a nice easy 90* cut.
Then fit a piece of wood vertically from the top/front edge of the crown moulding to the vaulted ceiling. It would likely be about 6" high. 90* cut on the bottom and sides, ~45* cut on top to fit the vaulted ceiling.
Paint it the same colour as the ceiling (probably flat white).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1748 posts
848 upvotes
JWL wrote: I'd continue the crown moulding straight to the windowed wall. It will be a nice easy 90* cut.
Then fit a piece of wood vertically from the top/front edge of the crown moulding to the vaulted ceiling. It would likely be about 6" high. 90* cut on the bottom and sides, ~45* cut on top to fit the vaulted ceiling.
Paint it the same colour as the ceiling (probably flat white).
Thats a good idea. And then just run the molding straight to the wall and cut it off there?

My other thought was to dead-end it when I got to that section but I thought that may look weird. You're idea may be better. Might have to play around with some pieces to see what looks best. Appreciate the idea.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1204 posts
915 upvotes
RAINMAN0 wrote: Thats a good idea. And then just run the molding straight to the wall and cut it off there?

My other thought was to dead-end it when I got to that section but I thought that may look weird. You're idea may be better.
I think both of these will work, either straight across and end into the wall. Or stop when the ceiling transitions and do a return.

If you want bonus points and more complexity, if you run it across you could entertain the idea of up lighting in there, don't really know what the room use is for, but could be worth considering.

Also, I assume you have no plans for a curtain wall or anything in this room?