Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto

Trip to Bay of Fundy - New Brunswick

Note: OP has been edited multiple times so some of the earlier replies might not make sense.

Date:
- First week of October

Duration:
- 7 days / 6 nights (could be changed if absolutely necessary)

Places of interest NB:
- Hopewall Cape (high tide & low tide)
- Fundy's Cape Enrage
- Fundy National Park
- St. Martins Sea Caves
- Quaco Head
- Saint John and Reversing Falls
- Fundy Trail Parkway
- Irving Nature Park
- St. Andrews
- Whale watch
- Kouchibouguac National Park

Places of interest NS:
- Joggins Fossil Cliffs
- Advocate Harbour
- Cape Chignecto Provincial Park
- Five island provincial park
- Not going further into NS due to it being saved for another trip

Due to much higher car rental price when picking it up and drooping it off in different city, looks like the best choice would be to start and end the trip at Moncton.

Itinerary
Day 1

Start: Toronto
Activities:
- Don't like planning a lot of things on first day in case of delay in flight / rental car / hotel check-in etc.
- Hopewell Cape low tide
End: Moncton

Day 2
Start: Moncton
Activities:
- Hopewell Cape high tide
- Fundy National Park
- Fundy's Cape Enrage

Day 3
Activities:
- St Martins Sea Caves (high-tide)
- Fundy Trail Parkway
- Quaco Head
- St Martins Sea Caves (low-tide)
- Explore Saint John
End: Saint John

Day 4
Start: Saint John
Activities:
- St. Andrews - Whale watching
- Explore St. Andrews
- Explore Saint John
End: Saint John

Day 5
Start: Saint John
Activities:
- Irving Nature Park or Kouchibouguac National Park
- Fundy Trail Parkway

Day 6
Activities:
- Joggins Fossil Cliffs
- Advocate Harbour
- Cape Chignecto Provincial Park or Five Island Provincial Park

Day 7
Activities:
- Explore Moncton
- Return car & fly back
End: Toronto

Of course all this could be moot if Covid gets worse in September but could still use what I learn here in the future.
Last edited by last_sd on Sep 11th, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
21 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22770 posts
21599 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
For us …
Our trips down east we have ALWAYS been fascinated by two things :

1- The magnificence of The Bay of Fundy
2- The beauty of PEI

So I would CONCENTRATE my efforts on those elements
(I could literally make 2 different East Coast Trips … a week each. Doing a circle route around the bay … and another circle route around PEI )

Places we love on Fundy :
NEW BRUNSWICK :
* The Islands (Campobella & Deer) … they lie near the mouth of Fundy, off of Maine
(NOTE … cuz of Covid May not be as easily accessible this year )
* St Andrews By The Sea & Ministers Island
* Saint John
* St Martins Twin Covered Bridges
* St Martins Sea Caves
* Fundy Trail & Parkway (last segment scheduled to connect to Alma in September)
* Fundy National Park
* Alma
* Waterside Beach
* Pebble Beach
* Cape Enrage
* Hopewell Rocks
NOVA SCOTIA :
* Joggins Fossil Cliffs
* Advocate Harbour
* Windsor
* NS Wine Country
* Wolfville
* Blomidon Lookoff
* Annapolis Royal
* Digby
* Fundy Ferry

Lots of these areas are either Provincial Parks, National Parks, or UNESCO World Heritage Sites … so one cannot underestimate what truly The Bay of Fundy has to offer!
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
2306 posts
2374 upvotes
Montréal
Would add New River beach to PointsHubby extensive NB list
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: For us …
Our trips down east we have ALWAYS been fascinated by two things :

1- The magnificence of The Bay of Fundy
2- The beauty of PEI

So I would CONCENTRATE my efforts on those elements
(I could literally make 2 different East Coast Trips … a week each. Doing a circle route around the bay … and another circle route around PEI )

Places we love on Fundy :
NEW BRUNSWICK :
* The Islands (Campobella & Deer) … they lie near the mouth of Fundy, off of Maine
(NOTE … cuz of Covid May not be as easily accessible this year )
* St Andrews By The Sea & Ministers Island
* Saint John
* St Martins Twin Covered Bridges
* St Martins Sea Caves
* Fundy Trail & Parkway (last segment scheduled to connect to Alma in September)
* Fundy National Park
* Alma
* Waterside Beach
* Pebble Beach
* Cape Enrage
* Hopewell Rocks
NOVA SCOTIA :
* Joggins Fossil Cliffs
* Advocate Harbour
* Windsor
* NS Wine Country
* Wolfville
* Blomidon Lookoff
* Annapolis Royal
* Digby
* Fundy Ferry

Lots of these areas are either Provincial Parks, National Parks, or UNESCO World Heritage Sites … so one cannot underestimate what truly The Bay of Fundy has to offer!
Thanks for detailed reply!

I am skipping the St Andrews area and the islands because I heard that due to trip in October (late in the season) + covid, they won't be easily accessible.
I am also skipping anything past Joggins Fossil Cliffs and maybe Advocate Harbour because there will be a separate Nova Scotia trip that will cover that portion.

If you had to choose between two itinerary I have on the OP which would you choose?
Would you add / remove anything from it?

Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22770 posts
21599 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
last_sd wrote: Thanks for detailed reply!

I am skipping the St Andrews area and the islands because I heard that due to trip in October (late in the season) + covid, they won't be easily accessible.
I am also skipping anything past Joggins Fossil Cliffs and maybe Advocate Harbour because there will be a separate Nova Scotia trip that will cover that portion.

If you had to choose between two itinerary I have on the OP which would you choose?
Would you add / remove anything from it?

Thanks again.
Like I said I could spend a week in either.

Based on your time of year …
Think I would just do everything Fundy

PEI is truly at its best in the heat of Summer
Bit of June - All of July & August - Beginning of September

Or Late Spring thru Early Fall for golfers

The island is VERY SEASONAL
Outside of the time frame I have listed
You are gonna find a lot of tourist stuff CLOSED FOR THE SEASON
Once Labour Day rolls around
And the rest … it’s Thanksgiving that’s the marker

Life is just cooler down east
Their tourist season gets started later
And ends sooner
Most of it revolves around families … and kids being out of school in July & August
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3725 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: The island is VERY SEASONAL
Definitely agree with this. We went once in October - beautiful and still enjoyed it - but nothing was open outside of Charlottetown (and probably Summerside but didn't go there). Driving around the island was still fun, but it was a case of bringing a picnic or getting takeout from local general stores, whatever they happened to have.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6619 posts
2857 upvotes
Montreal
Just returned from two weeks in PEI and I've been multiple times before. I'll echo the note about things being closed; most consider last week to be the end of the season (and that's certainly the case weather-wise this year) and most attractions and businesses near attractions will be closed after Labour Day.

The area around Cavendish is very seasonal. You'll be able to visit the beach/park as well as the birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery, but everything else will be closed. The water will be too cold to swim at any of the beaches, though they're still nice to visit and many have trails you can walk as well. You'll have lots of scenery but little in the way of activities.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote:
Like I said I could spend a week in either.

Based on your time of year …
Think I would just do everything Fundy

PEI is truly at its best in the heat of Summer
Bit of June - All of July & August - Beginning of September

Or Late Spring thru Early Fall for golfers

The island is VERY SEASONAL

Life is just cooler down east
Their tourist season gets started later
And ends sooner
Most of it revolves around families … and kids being out of school in July & August
Manatus wrote:
Definitely agree with this. We went once in October - beautiful and still enjoyed it - but nothing was open outside of Charlottetown (and probably Summerside but didn't go there). Driving around the island was still fun, but it was a case of bringing a picnic or getting takeout from local general stores, whatever they happened to have.
psyko514 wrote: Just returned from two weeks in PEI and I've been multiple times before. I'll echo the note about things being closed; most consider last week to be the end of the season (and that's certainly the case weather-wise this year) and most attractions and businesses near attractions will be closed after Labour Day.

The area around Cavendish is very seasonal. You'll be able to visit the beach/park as well as the birthplace of Lucy Maud Montgomery, but everything else will be closed. The water will be too cold to swim at any of the beaches, though they're still nice to visit and many have trails you can walk as well. You'll have lots of scenery but little in the way of activities.
Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it.

Bad:
Most things are closed outside of Charlottetown including activities and food options.
Too cold for any water activities.

Neutral:
Definitely more interested in nature and scenery than festival / activities.
While restaurants are nice, don't mind buying groceries from town and bringing picnic from cities.
Was going to stay in cities (Moncton & Charlottetown) anyway so no change in terms of accommodation.

Good:
Get to avoid the summer crowd?
Maybe cheaper hotels and rental car prices?

My other choice is Vancouver island (Victoria, Port Renfrew, Tofino), but NB / PEI is definitely #1 for now.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6571 posts
6044 upvotes
Excellent choices for NB- went to all those (except Kouchibouguac National Park) place and loved them all! I also liked Saint Andrews. My only question is why are you basing your stay in Moncton? I found it quite uneventful/unremarkable place. I would second Points Hubby's recommendations for places in Nova Scotia that are close to Fundy - I would choose that over PEI. PEI is nice but NS is nicer IMO (I spent 4 months there and travelled extensively and also visited the other Maritime provinces...LOVE the east coast!).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
Double_J wrote: Magnetic Hill NB, and Peggy's Cove are worth seeing.
Thanks will check out Magnatic Hill
hierophant wrote: Excellent choices for NB- went to all those (except Kouchibouguac National Park) place and loved them all! I also liked Saint Andrews. My only question is why are you basing your stay in Moncton? I found it quite uneventful/unremarkable place. I would second Points Hubby's recommendations for places in Nova Scotia that are close to Fundy - I would choose that over PEI. PEI is nice but NS is nicer IMO (I spent 4 months there and travelled extensively and also visited the other Maritime provinces...LOVE the east coast!).
I picked Moncton because it has good flight and rental car options as well as being close to many places I want to visit in NB.
Would you suggest staying somewhere else?

I do want to visit Nova Scotia more than PEI but I am saving that for a family trip that will cover the whole province in the near future.
However, I may change my mind and just do Bay of Fundy from NB and Nova Scotia and skip PEI since many things will be closed in PEI during my trip.
Might even be able to do a whale watching.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6571 posts
6044 upvotes
last_sd wrote: Thanks will check out Magnatic Hill

I picked Moncton because it has good flight and rental car options as well as being close to many places I want to visit in NB.
Would you suggest staying somewhere else?

I do want to visit Nova Scotia more than PEI but I am saving that for a family trip that will cover the whole province in the near future.
However, I may change my mind and just do Bay of Fundy from NB and Nova Scotia and skip PEI since many things will be closed in PEI during my trip.
Might even be able to do a whale watching.
My 2 cents - you can fly into Moncton and pick up there car but you don't need to base your stay in there - I think you'll be sorely disappointed if you do. I would pick Alma.

As for NS - there's A LOT to see in that province and when the time comes you may not be able to see everything. IMO makes more sense to visit northern NS since you're so close by or if you can tag on extra 2-3 days then you can see PEI as I think 2-3days sufficient for a visit. I'm sure when you go back to NS you will want to focus on Cape Breton, Halifax area, Peggy's Cove and all the cute towns a long the way going to Joggins, Advocate Habour, etc. will be out of the way so you'll probably want to skip them. If you would like, I can send you my itinerary, which includes most of the places you listed for NB and the places Points Hubby listed - you would obviously have to adjust to accommodate your start and end points, and also how you have for you trip.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22770 posts
21599 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
hierophant wrote: My 2 cents - you can fly into Moncton and pick up there car but you don't need to base your stay in there - I think you'll be sorely disappointed if you do. I would pick Alma.

As for NS - there's A LOT to see in that province and when the time comes you may not be able to see everything. IMO makes more sense to visit northern NS since you're so close by or if you can tag on extra 2-3 days then you can see PEI as I think 2-3days sufficient for a visit. I'm sure when you go back to NS you will want to focus on Cape Breton, Halifax area,d Peggy's Cove and all the cute towns a long the way going to Joggins, Advocate Habour, etc. will be out of the way so you'll probably want to skip them. If you would like, I can send you my itinerary, which includes most of the places you listed for NB and the places Points Hubby listed - you would obviously have to adjust to accommodate your start and end points, and also how you have for you trip.
These are excellent points

If I was looking at a trip to NS …
It may be a smallish Province
But there’s a lot to see
And it’s all sort of in various Zones

A) Cape Breton
B) Sydney Peninsula
C) Northeast end of the Bay of Fundy
D) Halifax & Dartmouth
E) NS Southshore
F) NS Wine Country & Annapolis Valley
G) Northshore on the Bay of Fundy

Cape Breton and Sydney Peninsula is pretty much a trip onto itself
Most other stuff can be lumped into 2 parts
That hinging on the Bay of Fundy … and that not

I agree with @hierophant if you can focus primarily on the Bay of Fundy (NB & NS) this trip
All the better

Leaves you more time for the rest of Nova Scotia next time
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: My 2 cents - you can fly into Moncton and pick up there car but you don't need to base your stay in there - I think you'll be sorely disappointed if you do. I would pick Alma.

As for NS - there's A LOT to see in that province and when the time comes you may not be able to see everything. IMO makes more sense to visit northern NS since you're so close by or if you can tag on extra 2-3 days then you can see PEI as I think 2-3days sufficient for a visit. I'm sure when you go back to NS you will want to focus on Cape Breton, Halifax area, Peggy's Cove and all the cute towns a long the way going to Joggins, Advocate Habour, etc. will be out of the way so you'll probably want to skip them. If you would like, I can send you my itinerary, which includes most of the places you listed for NB and the places Points Hubby listed - you would obviously have to adjust to accommodate your start and end points, and also how you have for you trip.
Makes a lot of sense. Bay of Fundy area won't be the highlight of the Nova Scotia trip and it would add a lot of extra driving.
Would be great if you could PM me your itinerary.
PointsHubby wrote: These are excellent points

If I was looking at a trip to NS …
It may be a smallish Province
But there’s a lot to see
And it’s all sort of in various Zones

A) Cape Breton
B) Sydney Peninsula
C) Northeast end of the Bay of Fundy
D) Halifax & Dartmouth
E) NS Southshore
F) NS Wine Country & Annapolis Valley
G) Northshore on the Bay of Fundy

Cape Breton and Sydney Peninsula is pretty much a trip onto itself
Most other stuff can be lumped into 2 parts
That hinging on the Bay of Fundy … and that not

I agree with @hierophant if you can focus primarily on the Bay of Fundy (NB & NS) this trip
All the better

Leaves you more time for the rest of Nova Scotia next time
Yeah I am starting to think just focus on Bay of Fundy for this trip from NB and NS.
That will reduce travel time on NS trip next time, and I will visit PEI another time during the summer peak season.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22770 posts
21599 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
last_sd wrote: This itinerary looks interesting.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/trav ... -road-trip

Although starting to think that first week of October might be too late even for Bay of Fundy area even for NB / NS.
I think that’s a great itinerary !

Lol, but then it’s National Geographic Travel … I would expect nothing less from them

Personally, we’ve not been to Grand Mandan island yet … just the NB & Maine’s Fundy Islands … but it is on my bucket list
Supposed to be a great place to see Whales & Wildlife

Our last driving trip down east that focussed on Fundy … was in the month of July 5+ years ago
So great weather
We did Coastal Maine to Moncton one week
Then hopped over to PEI for the second
It was a good time
And a lot of that was because of the weather

The Maritimes have a much cooler (some would say shorter) summer than those of us in Eastern Canada

Their prime really is mid June / early July to Labour Day

Outside of that … the place isnt entirely sshuttered
But it’s certainly not the same
(And time on the water … which is pretty much always cold
Not nearly as pleasant … cuz well Fall thru Spring is esp windy)

Ya know … you’ve mentioned BC … Vancouver & Victoria
I’ve not been in October
But that part of BC is one of the warmest spots in Canada
I would think October might be the ideal time to visit
With kids back in school, and bulk of the tourists gone

Of course no matter where you go
You should also take Covid under consideration

2021 is certainly better than 2020 for travel
(For us it felt great to get back out there & travel / have friends & family visit here over the summer )
But Covid is a process … so you got to keep your eye on the ball on what’s happening
I am optimistic that 2022 will be better than this year
And 2023 the best yet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: I think that’s a great itinerary !

Lol, but then it’s National Geographic Travel … I would expect nothing less from them

Personally, we’ve not been to Grand Mandan island yet … just the NB & Maine’s Fundy Islands … but it is on my bucket list
Supposed to be a great place to see Whales & Wildlife

Our last driving trip down east that focussed on Fundy … was in the month of July 5+ years ago
So great weather
We did Coastal Maine to Moncton one week
Then hopped over to PEI for the second
It was a good time
And a lot of that was because of the weather

The Maritimes have a much cooler (some would say shorter) summer than those of us in Eastern Canada

Their prime really is mid June / early July to Labour Day

Outside of that … the place isnt entirely sshuttered
But it’s certainly not the same
(And time on the water … which is pretty much always cold
Not nearly as pleasant … cuz well Fall thru Spring is esp windy)

Ya know … you’ve mentioned BC … Vancouver & Victoria
I’ve not been in October
But that part of BC is one of the warmest spots in Canada
I would think October might be the ideal time to visit
With kids back in school, and bulk of the tourists gone

Of course no matter where you go
You should also take Covid under consideration

2021 is certainly better than 2020 for travel
(For us it felt great to get back out there & travel / have friends & family visit here over the summer )
But Covid is a process … so you got to keep your eye on the ball on what’s happening
I am optimistic that 2022 will be better than this year
And 2023 the best yet
I agree with Covid situation, which is why I got the Ontario provincial park pass and spent time within Ontario during this summer.
It's also the reason I am planning things with only about a month left. I would usually book things months ahead but with back to school & work starting this month, I am not sure if everything will stay open to be honest.

I am going back and forth on this trip. More I look into it I am really looking forward to exploring Bay of Fundy area but I may want to save it up and go during the peak season pass Covid times.
With so many places to I want to visit, if I go now I don't think I would be doing it again in a foreseeable future. So it would suck if I end up only getting half the experience from the area.

If I decided not to go to Bay of Fundy, than the back up plans are
1. Vancouver island
2. Ottawa & Quebec City

Ottawa & Quebec City might be the most realistic one, because it would require
1. Less booking in advance (air fairs have started to creep up for last week of Sep)
2. Don't have to rent a car (will be going by Via Rail or Porter airline than use public transit)
3. Can divide them to two separate shorter trips
4. Can book things with only few weeks left and monitor Covid situation and weather

I will definitely keep all the info I got from here for my future trip, which could be this year or in the near future.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
2597 posts
536 upvotes
Kitchener
Loved Bay of Fundy. We only spent a few hours there I think but I was blown away with how much water movement with the tides, the waterfalls, and walking up to those huge rocks when the water receded. Hard to put in to words till you see it.
Tired of renting from Reliance? This might be useful reliance-home-comfort-2464779/2/#p34473179
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22770 posts
21599 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
last_sd wrote: I agree with Covid situation, which is why I got the Ontario provincial park pass and spent time within Ontario during this summer.
It's also the reason I am planning things with only about a month left. I would usually book things months ahead but with back to school & work starting this month, I am not sure if everything will stay open to be honest.

I am going back and forth on this trip. More I look into it I am really looking forward to exploring Bay of Fundy area but I may want to save it up and go during the peak season pass Covid times.
With so many places to I want to visit, if I go now I don't think I would be doing it again in a foreseeable future. So it would suck if I end up only getting half the experience from the area.

If I decided not to go to Bay of Fundy, than the back up plans are
1. Vancouver island
2. Ottawa & Quebec City

Ottawa & Quebec City might be the most realistic one, because it would require
1. Less booking in advance (air fairs have started to creep up for last week of Sep)
2. Don't have to rent a car (will be going by Via Rail or Porter airline than use public transit)
3. Can divide them to two separate shorter trips
4. Can book things with only few weeks left and monitor Covid situation and weather

I will definitely keep all the info I got from here for my future trip, which could be this year or in the near future.
Sounds like you are being flexible … and using good strategy

Quebec City is colder than Ottawa
Fall & Winter comes soon … lasts longer

So my advice … fair weather trip … do Quebec City now

On the other hand … something to be said for seeing Quebec in the height of winter

Ottawa is good any time of year.
Although presents perhaps a bit of different face with each season
But at least it is a true 4 Season Destination …

Fall Foliage - Winterlude - Spring Tulips - and Summer Festivals
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1835 posts
653 upvotes
Toronto
I have updated my itinerary in the OP

Changes
1. Date is now set to first week of October
2. Excluded PEI all together
- Will visit PEI during peak summer time in the future
- PEI portion seems like it will be impacted the most if COVID cases rises (bridge crossing, etc.)
3. Included St. Andrews and possible whale watching tour (weather permitting)
4. More time spent in Saint John
5. A lot of buffer/spare time added to account for bad weather / revisiting places if needed

Note: although it says Moncton on stays it could be Alma / other smaller cities.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)