Home & Garden

Trip hazard in newly built townhouse; Empire Communities.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2020 5:01 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA

Trip hazard in newly built townhouse; Empire Communities.

Hey guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on this type of hardwood floor arrangement. It basically creates a potential trip hazard around the stairs. We brought this up to the builder and was told that it did not violate any building code. I think they put it in because the builder was not able to even out where the floor material and stair meet. Have seen this type of work before? What can I do to mitigate the danger? Thanks!
Images
  • 75D81093-15C4-45CD-9BB0-4D661697A9FB.jpeg
  • 670E2332-3E8D-40D0-A51A-1A90E4A91550.jpeg
  • 47C7E4E5-5446-4083-9C0D-281692A2347E.jpeg
  • CD897378-BA2A-4D08-A325-7A8935E4AD2B.jpeg
  • B82A980C-86CF-43C5-81A0-0C7B2BE5C6FD.jpeg
Last edited by nioero on Feb 8th, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
95 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
2347 posts
4020 upvotes
Stouffville ON
The transition piece is attached permanently to the floor like this?
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA
senasena wrote: The transition piece is attached permanently to the floor like this?
Yes!
Oct 3, 2011
604 posts
387 upvotes
OTTAWA
sounds like they didn't measure the widths correctly and **** up leaving a less than ideal run at the end where the nosing wasn't wide enough to meet it.
May 6, 2013
943 posts
491 upvotes
Toronto
Thats awful, which builder is this?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
what a bad job...

I think the bullnose (top pc of the stairs) needs to be adjusted
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
Try to send a 30 day form to Tarion and quote

12.22 of the CPG

https://www.tarion.com/sites/default/fi ... dition.pdf

and 12.1

12.1 (Back to Table of Contents)
CONDITION
12.1 TRANSITION BETWEEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOORING IS NOT FLUSH
Acceptable Performance/Condition
An abrupt change in height where different floor finishes abut is acceptable provided the
transition is suitably eased (see Remarks).
Warranty
One-Year - Work and Materials
Action
Where the acceptable performance has not been met, repairs shall be made.
Remarks
The subfloor provides the even base on which all finished flooring materials are installed.
Changes in height between different flooring materials are caused by material thickness
and/or installation methods.
Standard practice (unless discussed prior to construction and specified in the Agreement
of Purchase and Sale or contract) is to install a transition strip of a material such as
wood, metal or marble to ease the change in height. These transition strips do not
constitute a tripping hazard and may be used at the builder’s discretion. Transition strips
may vary in material, colour, grain and/or dimension.

The transition pieces are awful
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA
thelefteyeguy wrote: Try to send a 30 day form to Tarion and quote

12.22 of the CPG

https://www.tarion.com/sites/default/fi ... dition.pdf

and 12.1

12.1 (Back to Table of Contents)
CONDITION
12.1 TRANSITION BETWEEN DIFFERENT TYPES OF FLOORING IS NOT FLUSH
Acceptable Performance/Condition
An abrupt change in height where different floor finishes abut is acceptable provided the
transition is suitably eased (see Remarks).
Warranty
One-Year - Work and Materials
Action
Where the acceptable performance has not been met, repairs shall be made.
Remarks
The subfloor provides the even base on which all finished flooring materials are installed.
Changes in height between different flooring materials are caused by material thickness
and/or installation methods.
Standard practice (unless discussed prior to construction and specified in the Agreement
of Purchase and Sale or contract) is to install a transition strip of a material such as
wood, metal or marble to ease the change in height. These transition strips do not
constitute a tripping hazard and may be used at the builder’s discretion. Transition strips
may vary in material, colour, grain and/or dimension.

The transition pieces are awful
Thanks a lot for the information. We did the 30 day form but the builder will only fix minor cosmetic defects and won't fix the stairs.

How can I show that the transition piece is a trip hazard? Do I need to hire a 3rd party inspector to issue a report?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Why don't you start with the municipality building planning (inspectors) section. Often they will be your friend if they feel the builder slipped something past - even if they don't have authority to force a correction.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Feb 9, 2005
934 posts
242 upvotes
That's a threshold piece placed in doorways transitioning two rooms.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
LOL wow... these guys are trying to pass this up? I guess this happens when the builder super cheaps out and takes the cheapest and least skilled installers.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
nioero wrote: Thanks a lot for the information. We did the 30 day form but the builder will only fix minor cosmetic defects and won't fix the stairs.

How can I show that the transition piece is a trip hazard? Do I need to hire a 3rd party inspector to issue a report?
Take one for the family and fall down the stairs, sue them for damages. lol j/k.
How about you have your lawyer send a letter threatening to hold them liable for any injuries caused by that.

Not to mention it looks like crap.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
I would talk to someone at Tarion, and perhaps go into conciliation.

I would argue putting a transition piece on the stair landing is a tripping hazard.

the CPG clearly does not condone using a transition pc if its a tripping hazard...especially on top of the stairs.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2535 upvotes
Markham, ON
the transition pc....i see that it runs all the way into the hallway...but on the first picture...you removed it?

EDIT...looks like its at multiple staircase locations.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
That looks extremely weird and ugly. Even if it wasn't a tripping hazard I wouldn't want it like that. Especially looks weird in the first photo. Why is it even there?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5749 posts
6121 upvotes
Ottawa
Indicates a poor installation. There is no need for the transition piece there at all. No need for the transition at the doorway either. Suggest you post in the hardwood thread for feedback on possible remedies. official-hardwood-flooring-thread-522165/
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
lol, and this house was how much?

That's hot garbage, it's a terrible looking fix for a bunch of unskilled labour. Jesus, even kijiji handyman would do a better job if she/he doesn't run away with your money first...

lefteye probably has the best advice but I just had to post in this cause I need to know how much this house cost, lol.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2007
1062 posts
850 upvotes
GTA
thelefteyeguy wrote: the transition pc....i see that it runs all the way into the hallway...but on the first picture...you removed it?

EDIT...looks like its at multiple staircase locations.
yes, it is a 3 level townhouse not including basement and it is on every level. the one runs across the whole stair is at top floor.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
nioero wrote: yes, it is a 3 level townhouse not including basement and it is on every level. the one runs across the whole stair is at top floor.
wow.... sorry op. That's brutal.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)