Travel

Trip ideas for and from England

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 29th, 2019 9:41 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6401 posts
5778 upvotes

Trip ideas for and from England

This is a long ways off but it's likely the only trip I'm going on next year so I'm already excited to start planning it and more importantly budgeting for it lol.

I'll be attending a wedding in London England mid-Nov (next year). I plan to spend 7-10 days in England (I haven't been there in a REALLY long time) - there's a lot of I haven't seen and definitely want to check out several museums for sure. Any suggestions on how to spend my time in England (nothing to do with the Buckingham or the queen please lol) - I will mostly be based out of Rugby (free lodging so I prefer to do day trips but I'm OK to spend a night in other cities if it's more time/cost efficient). Scenery, nature and history are top of the list. I want to limit my time in London to probably 2 days and that's just to see the museums. I haven't been to Stonehenge - worth going? I don't want to drive - public transportation only.

I would also like to tack on another country while I'm there- looking for suggestions. I was thinking of a Scandinavian country as that's one of the few places I haven't been yet - Norway, Sweden and Finland are high on my list- I know it's expensive there so no need to mention it, thanks. East Europe also - Poland perhaps but I'm open to suggestions. I realize it's not the best time of year in terms of climate but that doesn't bother me - hopefully it means less people.

In total I will have 3 weeks (I have flexibility) - first 3 weeks in November.

Thanks!
Last edited by hierophant on Oct 27th, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
Rugby is a long way from London.
Any day trips from there would be you driving to other places. There are the Oxford, Cambridge, Stratford upon Avon usual places. A overnighter or couple days to Liverpool if you are a Beatles fan is available.
November is off season so, many "tourist attractions" will be closed and it can be quite cold and very wet that time of year.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8804 upvotes
For scenery and nature you could look at Bergen and Trondheim (Norway). You can get there from London and they would have beautiful scenery. I am not sure what it's like that time of year (it is obviously quite north) though but assume it at least wouldn't be busy. Just be aware that Norway is a very expensive country. Sweden, another on your list, is also very expensive. Eastern Europe (Poland, Latvia, etc.) would be significantly cheaper.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6401 posts
5778 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: For scenery and nature you could look at Bergen and Trondheim (Norway). You can get there from London and they would have beautiful scenery. I am not sure what it's like that time of year (it is obviously quite north) though but assume it at least wouldn't be busy. Just be aware that Norway is a very expensive country. Sweden, another on your list, is also very expensive. Eastern Europe (Poland, Latvia, etc.) would be significantly cheaper.
I was thinking it would be a good time to go there to see the Northern Lights but I know it's really expensive - when I was looking into it before I think estimated about $5000 for one week and that was on tight/backpacker budget.
If I go to Poland (not sure where yet) I will probably go to Berlin - been wanting to go there for a while. Belgium is another option though not high on my list though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8804 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I was thinking it would be a good time to go there to see the Northern Lights but I know it's really expensive - when I was looking into it before I think estimated about $5000 for one week and that was on tight/backpacker budget.
If I go to Poland (not sure where yet) I will probably go to Berlin - been wanting to go there for a while. Belgium is another option though not high on my list though.
Would Iceland be good for the northern lights then? I know it's way cheaper than Norway (in my experience) and has much of the outdoor stuff. I assume flights are still cheap via Icelandair. Norway is very expensive - if I recall it was the most expensive country we traveled to so far in Europe. It is a wonderful country from a nature / scenic point of view though.

Belgium is a great country to spend a little time in, but it sounds like you're only doing one or two countries and it wouldn't make the top of my list. We both loved it and have been several times but only for short periods of time. I would go back because it's easy / cheap since it's on the Eurostar line (so easy from London / Paris) and worth a 1-2 day visit in Brussels/Bruges. Personally I would rather explore more of areas in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, and many more before spending a significant amount of time in Belgium. Again, not because it's bad or anything (it's great) just didn't seem worth a long stay.

Why Poland over Prague or Budapest? And why Poland over Finland/Estonia/St Petersburg (Never been but on my list)? I guess English might be a challenge in each of those, no idea about English problems in Poland though.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6401 posts
5778 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: Would Iceland be good for the northern lights then? I know it's way cheaper than Norway (in my experience) and has much of the outdoor stuff. I assume flights are still cheap via Icelandair. Norway is very expensive - if I recall it was the most expensive country we traveled to so far in Europe. It is a wonderful country from a nature / scenic point of view though.

Belgium is a great country to spend a little time in, but it sounds like you're only doing one or two countries and it wouldn't make the top of my list. We both loved it and have been several times but only for short periods of time. I would go back because it's easy / cheap since it's on the Eurostar line (so easy from London / Paris) and worth a 1-2 day visit in Brussels/Bruges. Personally I would rather explore more of areas in Spain, Portugal, Germany, Italy, and many more before spending a significant amount of time in Belgium. Again, not because it's bad or anything (it's great) just didn't seem worth a long stay.

Why Poland over Prague or Budapest? And why Poland over Finland/Estonia/St Petersburg (Never been but on my list)? I guess English might be a challenge in each of those, no idea about English problems in Poland though.
I've actually been to Iceland and Alaska during "NL season" (the 2 best places to see NL according to National Geographic apparently). Unfortunately just saw more of green haze...would be awesome if I could see them when they are stronger. This actually reminded me why I shouldn't go back during this time - daylight is so short and skies are more likely to be overcast/cloudy. I think I'll try Norway, Sweden or Finland Jan- March next time supposed to be better then.

I've actually been to many European countries including all the ones you mentioned except Finland (that's on my list too), Estonia ...Russia used to be on my list, but due to a variety of reasons not sure I want to spend my tourism $$ there. I wouldn't mind going back to any of the countries I've already visited as some of them were a really long time and go and there is only so much you can see, but thought I'd go somewhere I haven't been that's why I was considering Poland and Belgium (haven't been to Croatia either but that it would be better to visit when the weather is nicer). Have you been to Poland? Did you like it?

Also just as an FYI, I'm not on a tight budget but I like to keep my budget low on certain things like accommodations, rather use that money for other aspects of the trip. I'm totally aware of how expensive Europe, in particular Norway is.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17911 posts
8804 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I've actually been to Iceland and Alaska during "NL season" (the 2 best places to see NL according to National Geographic apparently). Unfortunately just saw more of green haze...would be awesome if I could see them when they are stronger. This actually reminded me why I shouldn't go back during this time - daylight is so short and skies are more likely to be overcast/cloudy. I think I'll try Norway, Sweden or Finland Jan- March next time supposed to be better then.

I've actually been to many European countries including all the ones you mentioned except Finland (that's on my list too), Estonia ...Russia used to be on my list, but due to a variety of reasons not sure I want to spend my tourism $$ there. I wouldn't mind going back to any of the countries I've already visited as some of them were a really long time and go and there is only so much you can see, but thought I'd go somewhere I haven't been that's why I was considering Poland and Belgium (haven't been to Croatia either but that it would be better to visit when the weather is nicer). Have you been to Poland? Did you like it?

Also just as an FYI, I'm not on a tight budget but I like to keep my budget low on certain things like accommodations, rather use that money for other aspects of the trip. I'm totally aware of how expensive Europe, in particular Norway is.
We haven't been to a lot of eastern Europe - we focused more on central and western so far. So no, haven't been to Poland. It didn't seem to have the same draw as Hungary / Czech Republic did for us.

If you have been all over Europe then Belgium might be a good choice - sorry I just assumed you had a lot left to visit. Belgium is nice, we just didn't find much to keep us entertained for more than a handful of days at a time.
Member
Mar 16, 2006
206 posts
88 upvotes
Scarborough
Or you could go somewhere warmer like Spain, Tunisia, Morocco, Malta, Cyprus...all easy to get to from Gatwick, Stansted or Luton...some great packages too considering it's not peak travel time in November. Or go to Wales, or maybe take the chunnel over to Calais, drive to France thru Belgium
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6401 posts
5778 upvotes
molly123 wrote: Or you could go somewhere warmer like Spain, Tunisia, Morocco, Malta, Cyprus...all easy to get to from Gatwick, Stansted or Luton...some great packages too considering it's not peak travel time in November. Or go to Wales, or maybe take the chunnel over to Calais, drive to France thru Belgium
I was considering outside of Europe as well...Tunisia would be nice - going to look into that (been to Spain, Jordan, Egypt and Morocco). I should mention that I most likely will be doing this bit solo and also not particularly keen on beach/island especially if I'm solo. The reason why I was thinking of another European country is that it requires less planning IMO, easily done solo (city walking, museum, etc.), don't have to rent a car (I find driving outside of Canada/US kind of stressful, I'll do it if I have to but prefer not to)...but I"m totally open to other ideas.

Would also love to hear people's opinion for an England itinerary as that's one place I will be going to for sure. LOVE history, castles, etc. so especially looking for what museums to check out and if it's possible to go out in the country only public transportation however, if a car is required I should be able to borrow one but prefer not to drive there. I've only been to London, Bath, Bristol and Leicester (just as an FYI, I've also been Scotland and Ireland - drove there which one of the reasons why I prefer NOT to drive in Europe lol).
Member
Nov 26, 2012
431 posts
468 upvotes
Toronto
Since you like history, I would recommend going to Oxford or Cambridge. They have a lot of history, museums and tours and you could get by without a car. Everywhere else, you would need a car or to join a tour group. You could go to HIghclere Castle where they shot Downton Abbey. I read that its actually open to the public for tours. I know there are entire websites on touring manors and castles in England so you could start there. And I'm pretty sure there's a registry list of homes but I can't find it anymore.

I think going to Scandinavia and Finland in winter would be amazing. It would probably be decorated for the holidays by then which is quite distinctive based on how my Finnish friend describes it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)