• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 2:36 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
473 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto

Trip Insurance to Countries with travel warnings

Going on a cruise and need trip insurance. Has anyone read about some insurance companies not covering you if you travel to countries with travel advisory warnings?

Any insurance companies that you recommend to look at?

Thanks
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6567 posts
2255 upvotes
Vancouver
whoam wrote: Going on a cruise and need trip insurance. Has anyone read about some insurance companies not covering you if you travel to countries with travel advisory warnings?

Any insurance companies that you recommend to look at?

Thanks
It's fine. If in doubt, just give them a call. Typically they are all the same with not much difference. Check with your credit card. Typically they have more than enough coverage that is no different than buying a separate policy. Advisory warning can be for many reasons. Different if you are going to a war zone though.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2583 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
^above poster is correct.

To elaborate on what @dazz mentioned

Many countries have travel warnings and I doubt any country you are visiting has the “avoid non essential / ALL travel warning”. Those are the only countries where various insurance companies will not insure. Having said that, if you were to book to a place that didn’t have that travel warning but at some point an event occurs where the Canadian Gov issues that advisory then you would be issued a refund.

Full list is available here:
https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1510 posts
1771 upvotes
BC
whoam wrote: Going on a cruise and need trip insurance. Has anyone read about some insurance companies not covering you if you travel to countries with travel advisory warnings?
Read the policies regarding Exclusions:

The typical travel insurance policy says something similar to what my policy says:

"Any illness, injury or medical condition you suffer or contract, or any loss you incur in a specific country, region or area for which
the Government of Canada, including Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada, has issued a travel advisory or formal
notice, before your day of departure advising travellers to avoid non-essential travel or to avoid all travel to that specific country,
region or area. If the travel advisory or formal notice is issued after your day of departure, your coverage under this policy in
that specific country, region or area will be limited to a period of 10 days from the date the travel advisory or formal notice was
issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area."

In other words, if Canada issues a "avoid non-essential" travel advisory, the travel insurance will NOT cover any medical/trip expenses as a result of you continuing to going there. The trip cancellation policy will cover the non-reimbursable costs of having to cancel the trip if such an advisory is issued.

E.g. Hong Kong is currently one level below "avoid non-essential travel" at "Exercise a high degree of caution" so exclusion is not in effect.
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
473 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies.

One of the countries I am visiting is Haiti, but the part that I am visiting is sectioned off/ private island for Royal Caribbean.

I will need to read the insurance policies. Thanks
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2583 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
whoam wrote: Thanks for all the replies.

One of the countries I am visiting is Haiti, but the part that I am visiting is sectioned off/ private island for Royal Caribbean.

I will need to read the insurance policies. Thanks
Haiti would probably be the exception to the rule because “Labadee” (Royal Caribbean’s compound) is a gated complex and you would never know you were in Haiti (don’t believe you can even leave the premises if you wanted). I was there shortly after the earthquake in (2010?) and it was business as usual.